Swapping motor?

digitalkenny

I wonder if it's possible to swap the 800 watts motor on KS14S with Gotway MCMV5 1500 watts motor? since they both 14" ?

I like my Kingsong 14S, I just wish it has little bit more speed so I can pass some bicyclist, If it's possible it will be cheaper to upgrade the motor than the hassle selling and buying them again

I think the firmware is specifically programmed to match the specific motor so unfortunately these parts likely aren't easily swappable between manufacturers without tweaking the source code and compiling a new flash.  With an open source control board it might be possible, but no one has developed the firmware as of yet that I know of.  It would be nice to have smart controllers and motors with USB-like plug and play capability one day.

1 hour ago, digitalkenny said:

I wonder if it's possible to swap the 800 watts motor on KS14S with Gotway MCMV5 1500 watts motor? since they both 14" ?

I like my Kingsong 14S, I just wish it has little bit more speed so I can pass some bicyclist, If it's possible it will be cheaper to upgrade the motor than the hassle selling and buying them again

No dice. But remember the benefits: You already have a great wheel, drafting behind bicyclists saves battery, and being limited to swift but safe 18 mph isn't necessarily a bad thing on those dangerous NYC streets. Plenty of hidden pot holes, stupid drivers, and uninsured drivers who will hit and run faster than you can say "What was wrong with my King Song anyway?"

Anyway, hope that list of benefits cheers you up until you get an MCM5 ?  I have an MCM3 and these are the types of things I tell myself ? 

3 hours ago, digitalkenny said:

Check this out, somebody wants to buy a 14S in the NYC area:  Only problem is you might be without a wheel for a while in the prime summer riding season

There was someone who was able to replace his generic wheel's control board with another generic looking one.  I believe he had some calibration issues, but he was able to figure out eventually how to put it into calibration mode.

Maybe if someone manages to dump the STM32 microcontroller firmware and decompile it for the different brands, they might be able to figure out how to tweak the settings.

It might be better to buy the MCM5 and sell the KS14 to regain some money towards the new purchase.  @smallexis was able to put his MCM4 into a different shell to gain more space for a custom battery pack if memory serves me correctly, but he's like the mad battery scientist so it depends on your skill level!

Archived