Tesla Custom Parking Stand... ETC

1 hour ago, KingSong69 said:

I guess if it would be just a bit higher and more near to the shell, it would have bo chance to get stuck somewhere!

Nonetheless: Top Notch work...as to be exspected from you ;-)

I plan to recontour the stand tomorrow. I don’t want the words “I told you so” ringing in my ears. :D 

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
27 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

I plan to recontour the stand tomorrow. I don’t want the words “I told you so” ringing in my ears. :D 

Just trolley it down a curb or some stairs...and try if its working.

Just wanted to warn you...impacting is one thing, and the smallest problem. Think about that it gets stuck somewhere, that would be worse....

4 minutes ago, KingSong69 said:

Just trolley it down a curb or some stairs...and try if its working.

Just wanted to warn you...impacting is one thing, and the smallest problem. Think about that it gets stuck somewhere, that would be worse....

I definately heed your warning. It will only take 5 minutes for the mod. I may have to place a small piece of black foam on the crossmember that will be contacting the shell. 

UPDATE: Parking stand revision

I tweaked the parking stand a bit and got rid of the crossbar and decorative rod ends.

I fabricated 3 1/2” telescoping  bars that extend outward for enhanced stability to the main strut attached to the pedal hangers.  The bars can easily be slide together underneath the black foam cover.

I also added two 2” pivoting suction cups to further balance Tesla on slightly unlevel surfaces. Additionally Ifurther contoured the stand so it better hugs Tesla’s shell. 

Telescopic Bars extended

40062819784_ebd45d1177_b.jpg

40062820354_25263cefd0_b.jpg

Telescopic Bars Retracted

25901894937_70c4ed8239_b.jpg

25901932727_7f7fb12424_b.jpg

Any object coming close to the stand while riding will hit my legs first.

I decided to remove the parking stand. It just was not up to my stand-ards.

So I went for a slow ride around the parking lot to get a feeling of Tesla’s responsiveness. After 10 minutes I realized the inner boarder of my shins were not comfortable. Like there was no padding on the shell. But there was padding. How much was the question. 

I decided to remove the padding on the left side to investigate. What I found was a thin 3/16” piece of molded padding lipped over the plastic shell. Not the 1/2” padding I am use to riding other wheels. Tomorrow I will attempt to fabricated my own padding using softer material.

Padding removed

40085843314_5aab6ae98c_b.jpg

Padding Thickness

38985519780_888a514aac_b.jpg

26925547138_39800ccda0_b.jpg

22 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

I decided to remove the parking stand. It just was not up to my stand-ards.

So I went for a slow ride around the parking lot to get a feeling of Tesla’s responsiveness. After 10 minutes I realized the inner boarder of my shins were not comfortable. Like there was no padding on the shell. But there was padding. How much was the question. 

I decided to remove the padding on the left side to investigate. What I found was a thin 3/16” piece of molded padding lipped over the plastic shell. Not the 1/2” padding I am use to riding other wheels. Tomorrow I will attempt to fabricated my own padding using softer material.

Padding removed

40085843314_5aab6ae98c_b.jpg

Padding Thickness

38985519780_888a514aac_b.jpg

26925547138_39800ccda0_b.jpg

Wow. ACM has pillows compared to that . Actually I think the ACM has the best (thickest) side padding on any EUC out there right now . 

36 minutes ago, Scott Henley said:

Wow. ACM has pillows compared to that . Actually I think the ACM has the best (thickest) side padding on any EUC out there right now . 

Absolutely! I never felt uncomfortable on the ACM....well just one time:whistling:

I understand Gotway’s reasoning. The thin padding makes the shell look cosmetically sleek and narrow. Increasing the thickness of the padding even 1/16” will alter the streamlined appearance.

I suppose my shins would further toughen up but after riding for 2 years I don’t want to wait. The padding easily came off the shell so if my project flops I can easily glue them back on. 

1 hour ago, Rehab1 said:

I decided to remove the parking stand. 

Well, what about a kickstand on on side, the wheel would lean a little to whatever side you put it on.  The holes are already there in the pedal bracket.  It could extend past the pedal about an inch or two, be like parking a motorcycle.  Just putting ideas out there, might not be doable, but someone else mentioned a kickstand a while back.

It would look cool to stop, swing the kickstand down with the toe, and walk away.

1 minute ago, steve454 said:

Well, what about a kickstand on on side, the wheel would lean a little to whatever side you put it on.  The holes are already there in the pedal bracket.  It could extend past the pedal about an inch or two, be like parking a motorcycle.  Just putting ideas out there, might not be doable, but someone else mentioned a kickstand a while back.

It would look cool to stop, swing the kickstand down with the toe, and walk away.

That would be cool. But I think the issue you’d run into there is the shell swiveling forward or back since the gyro is disabled while off. Probably work well while the wheel is on though . Maybe ..

2 minutes ago, Scott Henley said:

That would be cool. But I think the issue you’d run into there is the shell swiveling forward or back since the gyro is disabled while off. Probably work well while the wheel is on though . Maybe ..

Hmmmm,  I didn't think of that.

57 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

Absolutely! I never felt uncomfortable on the ACM....well just one time:whistling:

I understand Gotway’s reasoning. The thin padding makes the shell look cosmetically sleek and narrow. Increasing the thickness of the padding even 1/16” will alter the streamlined appearance.

I suppose my shins would further toughen up but after riding for 2 years I don’t want to wait. The padding easily came off the shell so if my project flops I can easily glue them back on. 

Well that's an easy problem to solve... Pad your shins - then all your wheels can be streamlined and you can still be soft!

Having your inside shins padded would also be useful when you are riding anything else... :blink1:  Like a... horse. Yes, that's it. They would be also be useful when you're riding a bony horse.

38 minutes ago, steve454 said:

Great idea! I was trying to find a moped type kick stand for the ACM awhile back Now you have my creative juices flowing again. :cheers:

40 minutes ago, steve454 said:

37 minutes ago, Scott Henley said:

You're both so close... Almost.

@Rehab1 - stop measuring your shins for padding and pay attention to this...

A "D" shaped bracket that attaches into either end of the pedal fitting, curving around the shape of the pedal - this means it is virtually invisible, but it can pivot down (below the pedal line to the ground. The only piece that Rehab needs to work out is how to get it to stop / lock at the right point...

3 minutes ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

Well that's an easy problem to solve... Pad your shins - then all your wheels can be streamlined and you can still be soft!

Yes that would be the easy solution. I’ll sculpture some padding tomorrow and just use double faced tape for a trial run. If it looks like crap I’ll just restore the OEM foam padding and call it a day.... or work on @steve454‘s inspiration. 

5 minutes ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

A "D" shaped bracket that attaches into either end of the pedal fitting, curving around the shape of the pedal - this means it is virtually invisible, but it can pivot down (below the pedal line to the ground. The only piece that Rehab needs to work out is how to get it to stop / lock at the right point...

You just had an Epiphany! :cheers: Great idea!  I like the part  “the only piece that Rehab needs to work out”.  :confused1:

17 minutes ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

Sounds good, but I don't get it.:confused1: 

43 minutes ago, steve454 said:

Sounds good, but I don't get it.:confused1: 

Something like this... But with straighter lines...

Tesla Stand.jpg

The orange line would be a metal rod, bent to contour the pedal (and fitting into each end). So it could stay up while you ride, but could also be swung down past the pedal to balance the wheel.

@Rehab1 - I put two blue bits at the ends, if these were angled / sized right, they could rest on the case, stopping the stand at the optimum angle - and if that were slightly thicker to do that job, you could use it to thread a bolt through make fitting very simple... So a U shaped stand, with some "stop blocks" at each end and a screw through into the end of the pedal mount.

I'm getting a little excited about this... :w00t2:

25 minutes ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

Tesla Stand.jpg

The orange line would be a metal rod, bent to contour the pedal (and fitting into each end). So it could stay up while you ride, but could also be swung down past the pedal to balance the wheel.

@Rehab1 - I put two blue bits at the ends, if these were angled / sized right, they could rest on the case, stopping the stand at the optimum angle - and if that were slightly thicker to do that job, you could use it to thread a bolt through make fitting very simple... So a U shaped stand, with some "stop blocks" at each end and a screw through into the end of the pedal mount.

Excellent Idea!  Best idea I've seen yet for integrated parking on a wheel that wont' interfere with anything!

53 minutes ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

Tesla Stand.jpg

Great! Your depiction gives me something to wrap my head around. Unfortunately Newton’s third law is going to be a bastard  designing this.

2 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

Great! Your depiction gives me something to wrap my head around. Unfortunately Newton’s third law is going to be a bastard on this design. 

But Newton never rode an electric unicycle... So you have one up on him there. And besides the third one is more a guideline than a law!

What if the bolts were slightly longer, and the U bracket could slide slightly back or forward when fully up or down (using some sort of key way) locking it in place?

12 hours ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

What if the bolts were slightly longer, and the U bracket could slide slightly back or forward when fully up or down (using some sort of key way) locking it in place?

Still figuring out a prototype. Great ideas.:thumbup:

Working on something simpler...the pads. I have one pad completed. I will soon go on a test ride and compare the OEM pad on the right to the new pad on the left.

Fabrication:

I first heated the 1” piece of yoga exercise foam in an oven. The foam was purchased on Amazon. 

25935197097_ae0922ce83_b.jpg

Next I formed the warm foam around the Tesla shell by hand.

25935197537_5f0c61ab35_b.jpg

This is the impression left in the foam after heat compressing it around the shell. 

40764686172_37b79662a8_b.jpg

The foam was then shaped and smoothed using a soft pneumatic grinder. 

26937206068_4bbb6f91fb_b.jpg

The end result.

40764683832_83f365a3aa_b.jpg

Now for a test ride.

6 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

I have one pad completed. I will soon go on a test ride and compare the OEM pad on the right to the new pad on the left.

Nice!  Looks factory.  Great photos showing how it was done!

19 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

The end result.

Now for a test ride.

Recommendation ... spray the outside of the pad with FlexSeal spray rubber.  It will seal it and prevent little pieces from rubbing off and will get it a black, rubberized matt finish.

14 minutes ago, Charles McLean said:

Recommendation ... spray the outside of the pad with FlexSeal spray rubber.  It will seal it and prevent little pieces from rubbing off and will get it a black, rubberized matt finish.

Excellent Idea!! I have never used that product  but plan to now. Thanks

After going for a 10 minute ride my left leg was very comfortable compared to the right. I suppose if I was not performing turns where I like to grip the wheel tighter the existing foam would suffice. 

@Charles McLean  The FlexSeal is interesting stuff. It take 24 hours to dry so I will not know about the final appearance or durability for a day. Thanks again for the recommendation.

40809533091_a69acec508_b.jpg

Archived