My exercise plan --- with an IPS i5

brianle

One issue I have now that I'm getting into EUCs is that my "outdoor time" doesn't net me much exercise.  Yes, there's fine muscle control, there is SOME exercise involed, but nothing like spending the equivalent time (or distance!) walking, or biking or running.    One solution is to just extend my "outdoor time" each day to *add* EUC time to what I already do.  But I don't always feel inclined and/or able to do that.

Enter the IPS i5 and the backpack I bought that can hold it (discussed in an earlier thread).  I put the EUC in the pack, plus my folding helmet, maybe wrist guards, and slip my little "sit on the side of my glasses" rear view mirror unit in my pocket and I go out for a long walk.  At the end of where ever I want to get to, I take out the EUC and ride it home.

This hybrid approach is working well for me. It has the side benefit of getting parts of my body up to speed for hiking/backpacking season.  The 20 or so pounds that I'm carrying delivers a little more exercise on a per-step basis on the way out.  But long walks can get a little time consuming, even boring at times (podcasts, music help).  So while I'm hiking out and schlepping the weight on my back, I can look forward to the fun of riding back home and for the distance traveled out, the total time required is reduced over walking both directions.

This also makes this "last mile, commuter" EUC something I'm more used to using with the backpack.   A couple days ago I hiked to a local drugstore, carried the pack in, no questions asked, made my purchases, then I had an empty backpack to carry the things I bought back home.  Tomorrow I have a medical appointment a few miles away from home. My wife will drop me off as she's heading that way, but I'll bring the EUC in its pack and ride it home after.

Anyway, I'm enjoying this approach.   Of course one could do this with a bigger, heavier EUC, with the caveat that I like to walk on trails as well as sidewalk and gravel.  Yesterday I was hiking some wet, somewhat muddy and steep dirt trails that I wouldn't want to even push an EUC up or down (even with the unit powered on and the extension handle deployed).  And in general it's nice to walk with both hands free, not having the herd along a rolling EUC companion.  Having to push along a bigger EUC just makes for a different walking dynamic.  It's okay when you need to do it, but not the kind of walk that I enjoy.

Okay, sorry for going on for so long --- just thought I would share this idea.

2 hours ago, brianle said:

Enter the IPS i5 and the backpack I bought that can hold it (discussed in an earlier thread).  I put the EUC in the pack, plus my folding helmet, maybe wrist guards, and slip my little "sit on the side of my glasses" rear view mirror unit in my pocket and I go out for a long walk.  At the end of where ever I want to get to, I take out the EUC and ride it home.

Nice idea.  For the exercise I need, I would have to schlep a Monster around, AND ride home with a Monster on my back, dragging a KS18.

• 1 month later...
On 29/03/2018 at 11:03 PM, Scouts Honor said:

Lovely post. Too bad IPS seems to possibly be abandoning the ultra-light category

There are no plans to discontinue the i5, IPS (and eWheels) are seeing a gradual rise in this Wheel's popularity, because of it's unique weight/size advantage.  

On 27/02/2018 at 12:13 PM, brianle said:

This hybrid approach is working well for me. It has the side benefit of getting parts of my body up to speed for hiking/backpacking season.  The 20 or so pounds that I'm carrying delivers a little more exercise on a per-step basis on the way out. 

This is a great idea!

2 hours ago, Demargon said:

I see the exercise with arms more productive, I carry a lot my euc along the offroad expeditions

I sometimes dismount and carry mine by hand for a while if my feet are a little sore/tired, or occasionally if I'm feeling cold (don't generate much body heat when riding).  But even a ~17 pound EUC is a lot to carry for any distance in just one hand, I find myself switching hands a lot.  With the backpack, I'm happy to carry it for a few miles, definitely not so by hand.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived