Carlos E Rodriguez

DUALTRON MAN

38 posts in this topic

I sorta want an electric skateboard after watching that video. I know it's wrong, but I keep wanting one now. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It just not comparable. Cyclist are in a constant state of alert. Riding a bicycle requires 100% alertness and rider is continuously assessing the surroundings. A cyclist is continuously calculating the ability to stay on cycling or having to take evasive action. 

a pedestrian is  90% distracted an likely to trip, bump onto someone, slip, getting bumped because a pedestrian is most of the time not thinking that an collision is imminent. Compare to a cyclist is always trying to avoid a collision all the time. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, kasenutty said:

I sorta want an electric skateboard after watching that video. I know it's wrong, but I keep wanting one now. 

Nothing wrong with the board. Just wear the darn protection and know the limits. 

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, kasenutty said:

I sorta want an electric skateboard after watching that video. I know it's wrong, but I keep wanting one now. 

I have an entirely mechanical longboard that's a lot of fun. You can get them on amazon for $50-$120, and there's a nice mindless feeling of cruising on a park on them.

I have tried using my unicycle in dolly mode along with the longboard. It sort of works so long as you stand very close to the front wheels, dunno why it is so. It's pretty fun and mindless so long as you stay about a walking pace. However, I find normal EUC speeds to be absolutely terrifying on a longboard.

EUC's are very useful as mules; they can pull or push all sorts of things like wheelbarrows and other handcarts. I have been thinking of constructing some sort of wooden box that goes over the pedals but I think a Ninebot mini pro would be far more suitable for such things.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am an actual skateboarder, so I have lots of regular skateboards. I'd like to try an electric one sometime though, because I'm old, fat, and don't want to push :D

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, kasenutty said:

I am an actual skateboarder, so I have lots of regular skateboards. I'd like to try an electric one sometime though, because I'm old, fat, and don't want to push :D

You might be interested in the below, a custom Trampa e-Mountainboard build. Heard it's way more reliable and customizable than the formalized boards out there.

 

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That looks awesome...I was also real interested in that Gotway Moonwalk board too. I like leaning instead of a trigger system. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, kasenutty said:

That looks awesome...I was also real interested in that Gotway Moonwalk board too. I like leaning instead of a trigger system. 

FWIW, our local NYC e-boarding WeChat doesn't say glowing things about the Zboard, which is also non-controller. Not saying that the Moonwalk is the same, but good to note.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll keep that in mind. So the hand controllers are much more loved? This is a long way down the road for me, I'd like to get a bigger wheel before I do a skateboard :D

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, kasenutty said:

I'll keep that in mind. So the hand controllers are much more loved? This is a long way down the road for me, I'd like to get a bigger wheel before I do a skateboard :D

Just repeating what I've heard from experienced e-board owners, but so far, ZBoard was a big bust (they're saying the company is basically defunct).

Haven't heard of any e-board companies attempting the same exact, pressure pad-based system (OneWheel kind of is, but more based on a gyroscope), and the Moonwalk is too new and unproven.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, houseofjob said:

Just repeating what I've heard from experienced e-board owners, but so far, ZBoard was a big bust (they're saying the company is basically defunct).

Haven't heard of any e-board companies attempting the same exact, pressure pad-based system (OneWheel kind of is, but more based on a gyroscope), and the Moonwalk is too new and unproven.

Is there a reason why leaning may be an inferior approach on a skateboard?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, there is in my opinion. As a long time skateboarder, I don't always necessarily lean the direction I want to go. Generally when I am going really fast I am leaning back to lift my front wheels over bumps and cracks and stuff. Leaning all the way forward at speed on a skateboard is a good way to eat shit.

 

I can understand that. 

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Agreed. Makes lifting the front board up, like in a manual, harder when you constantly have to have the front foot fixed to a pad to be moving forward.

But @Mono I was really speaking to all the reliability issues the Zboard has had, motors dying, overheating, etc.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now