Wobble/mechanical imbalance in wheel when lifted

I love my new 84v ACM but I think the tire or wheel may be imbalanced and i'm not sure if this is a problem or if it can be fixed.

When i lift the wheel off the ground and let it spin, it has a slight wobble or shimmy that natrally gets worse with increased speed. similar to how a washing machine wobbles on its spin cycle if the clothes are off balance. The wobble begins to be noticeable around 10-20 km/h  

Its not a side-to-side wobble, which is good. in other words the vibration is mostly up-down. the tire is tracking straight to a reasonable precision. 

I don't notice the wobble when i'm riding it. As long as my weight is evenly distributed, it's a smooth ride even at 35km/h, which is as fast as i've dared to ride so far.

Does anyone else have this kind of wobble and is there any way to fix it? I don't even know if the imbalance is in the tire or in the wheel itself. I don't know if this is affecting my ride experience or if i should be concerned about it.

Thanks to both of you who responded, that is all helpful. I figured there were weights i could attach to make it perfectly balanced, but hearing similar stories from other riders is reassuring, so i've decided to ignore it for now! 

On 4/26/2017 at 10:49 AM, Liquid Sage said:

Thanks to both of you who responded, that is all helpful. I figured there were weights i could attach to make it perfectly balanced, but hearing similar stories from other riders is reassuring, so i've decided to ignore it for now! 

I'm having same wobbling on the wheel and I found out the the tire is not fit in the rim exactly centered. Takes some time me patience but with a help of another person, you can deinflate the tire try to centered and while you focus on centering the tire another person helps you to inflate slowly until gets enough pressure in the right position so you can then normally inflate the tire. It worked well for all my wheels.

• 1 year later...
On 4/29/2017 at 1:59 AM, Noillek said:

I'm having same wobbling on the wheel and I found out the the tire is not fit in the rim exactly centered. Takes some time me patience but with a help of another person, you can deinflate the tire try to centered and while you focus on centering the tire another person helps you to inflate slowly until gets enough pressure in the right position so you can then normally inflate the tire. It worked well for all my wheels.

Same for me, I did both, the tire centering on the wheel and the balancing with weights later.  It worked as a charmed. 

2 hours ago, Elder Meat said:

I think this is a better way to balance the wheel.

Thanks! (My video). But the issues they help are a bit different. If the tire is not centered vertically, weight balancing only helps a bit and not at all speeds. I'd check the seating first, and if the wheel still wobbles when lifted, then add weights.

Must say though, after doing both on a wobbly tire, the magical feeling of smooth gliding really does make it worth it all!

Archived