Inmotion V5F+ review

fearedbliss

On October 20, 2016 at 4:53 PM, JimB said:

Hi MaxLinux.  I was just about to buy an Lhotz, but my primary concern is on hills.  I live on the side of a small mountain.  My primary use case will be to head down the hill in the morning to get to the bus, and head up the hill in the evening.  My round-trip distance is about 5 miles.  The specs on the Lhotz indicate a 30 degree max hill.  I took that to mean 15 degrees easy, and probably struggling beyond that.  I've measured the slope on this hill and it's about 11 degrees, sustained for about 400 yards - a pretty long steep walk.  I would like a 16 inch wheel for stability, ride, etc.  However the engineer in me knows that a 14 inch wheel needs less torque to climb a hill.

Based on your experience with the Lhotz, am I likely to be disappointed in the hill climbing ability?  I weigh about 165.

I was on my Lhotz in San Francisco the other day, and it hauled me a few blocks up a very steep street without any problem (slowly though) at one point. I weigh 185lb. Once last year on an extended hill, it did start to beep one long continuous beep. I got off for a minute and started again without issue, I think it may have overheated that time. 

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Hirsute said:

Hello everybody, what is your range with a complete charge of the V5F+? (And, for this range, what is your weight and your type of riding)

I'm about 70kg and get about 30km range with full speed cruising 22 km/h average, that's for commuting so no agressive style. My V5F+ mileage is now 2500 km.

30km was the range i got in the summer when it was warm, the battery was brand new, 22 km/h average speed and often went into the 23-25 km/h tiltback zone.. I pumped the tire really hard and that's good for a little extra range. With the battery getting older and having more charging cycles, capacity will go down over time.. After a few months I ride a more relaxed style and backed off the speed to 20km/h average, because I don't like to hit the tiltback often I'm now cruising at 18-22 km/h. But then I had the Msuper v3 for a month and that was so comfortable I don't use superhard tire pressure on the V5F+ anymore.. Overall I didn't notice much difference really, some stuff increase range a little, some stuff decrease it a little. I'm still getting around 30 km. Hills, wind and of course rider weight makes more difference. However on a couple of cold days I did notice range was lowered so temperature can have a significant effect on our lithium batteries too!

Here we had a mild autumn so far but since a week back it suddenly got cold! I don't know what the range is now but i think over the winter with sub zero degrees I'm not counting on more than 20-25 km with my 70kg. I haven't used the wheel since a week back when it got cold because I got a flat tire.. no faceplant, the air just slowly went out over a whole day or so... Still got 2500km without a flat so that's ok. Anyway I'm in another city now and left the wheel behind so no riding for me a couple of weeks :(

It would be interesting to see more exactly how much capacity can be expected in lower temperatures, a graph would be nice!

27 minutes ago, Hirsute said:

@nomad that is strange because a friend of i does 27km with a V5F...

Then he must run the battery all the way down or he doesn't weigh much, I usually don't go below 25% battery level. Yes that fits within normal V5F range with 22-27 km max, but I would not regularly go much over 20km. If I run it to zero there's 5-10 km more. So for me the range is 35-40 km max.

For comparison I have regular V5F and my weight is 100kg. I never go below certain level of battery. Sometimes when battery level drops to 2 bars I will go only few more kilometers and I never continue cruising after seeing 1 bar. Going close to max speed my range is roughly 17-19km in summer. When I used to play Pokemon GO I drove much more slowly and my range was up to 23-25km. There are no hills on my routes.

• 7 months later...
On 7/17/2016 at 1:32 AM, Fahrtwind said:

Guys, good news: sounds are back!

I am not sure why they disappeared, here is how I got them back:

The trick to successfully upload any sound is to put the wheel in sleep mode first. Turn the wheel off but keep your finger on the switch. You are able to connect via Bluetooth. Now you are able to upload factory sounds again. After that, my sounds were back again!

Same thing happen to me after playing with sounds in the app.

your sollution with standby mode does not work for me. But I notice that every time i tried to apply the sound peckage the percentage status was a bit higher with every try.

So I continued to applaying the package and accepting the failing notices and after 400 applies I have finnaly reach the status 100% and the peckage was uploaded successfuly.

I dont like inmotion technology because of that!!!

Interesting read so far, my $.02 from my very limited experience with BT on my V3Pros I've messed with;

The first unit I tried, had really good BT connection. It took 2 tries to upgrade FW. Initial connection to BT was usually very fast, almost immediate.

The unit I have now, seems to have much more difficult time with BT connection. It took 4 tries to upgrade FW, always takes about 10-30 seconds to connect, and took 5 or 6 tries to upgrade sound files. OTOH, when it does connect, it seems stable and lasts awhile with no dropout.

I also saw the same thing on my V3 after installing new sound files, the sound was completely dead after install, but after reboot they were perfect. It just seems their process is not fully documented on the app (and the information boxes pop up really fast) , so not sure what to expect.

I suspect not all BT modules are created equal, with tuning issues/variances. In fact, box tells you to stay close to unit, so I set my phone right ontop of it each time.

Archived