Inmotion V5F+ review

fearedbliss

Hello folks,

So I received my V5F+ on Saturday morning (which I ordered from @Jason McNeil at ewheels.com), and spent the whole weekend riding around Brooklyn, NY with @vido (Who also received his new KS 16" on Saturday as well). I have to say, this has been the best wheel I've owned. It is quick (16 mph/ 25 kph) (But will be 18.6 mph, 30 kph after the new firmware update is released for the V5F+). 

When you turn on the wheel, it has a very nice and subtle sound, nothing annoying like the KS 14"'s loud beep. When you shut it down it also has a nice pleasant shut down sound (Like if somebody was playing drums). I believe these can be disabled in the mobile application, I haven't tested it yet, but I saw the "Silence - System Sounds" option.

I'm used to cruising at a 15-16 mph speed, so I keep hitting tiltback kinda often. The tiltback is a little aggressive but not in a bad way. The wheel will also say "Danger, Danger" and some other thing when you exceed the tiltback speed.

Their is a battery indicator on the front of the wheel (5 bars). It seems I lose my first bar once the battery drops to 80%. The battery lasts a long time for this model. I probably got 17-20 miles on it, but I haven't killed it since I charge it between rides if I can. The lowest I bought it to was 2 bars (And probably the middle of the second bar to be specific) which I believe was around 28-38%.

The pedals are high and you can make extremely sharp and comfortable turns. This wheel has been the best in terms of pedal height and sharpness. The grip tape on the pedals is also very well done and solid. I never felt like I was going to slip, although I want to try this in rain to have better verification (Or I can just wet the pedals xD).

The motor is very strong, it feels solid and it doesn't feel like I'm going to fall off the wheel, even when I'm getting tiltback.

The cushion at the top of the wheel I believe is made out of leather, and it is very comfortable. The sides of my feet did hurt after a while because I'm not used to these pedals yet. Also the pedals do feel small compared to other wheels. The wheel does come with some ankle paddings that you can optionally place. After I road a lot during the weekend without them, I finally decided to place the cushions close to the pedals. That made a huge difference. My feet feel much more comfortable after the addition.

Long holding the power button turns on or off the wheel. A single tap on the power button will turn on or off the head light. The headlight is very strong.

The Android application for this wheel is very nice. You can even perform wheel diagnostics right on the app which tests things like the Motor, Battery, Sensors, etc. 

When pumping air into the wheel, there is a panel that you can lift in order to make the valve accessible. I believe this is the best combination between the Ninebot's -cover-the-whole-wheel-for-looks type of design vs an always accessible valve.

Overall this is a solid wheel and I highly recommend it. In my opinion, this is the best, most agile, wheel on the market for the specs, 14" tire size, and application.

OMG PICTURES!!

- Jonathan

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks Jonathan! A couple additions to add: we sent Jonathan's Wheel out to him directly from LA rather than with our regular (and more reliable) fulfillment service; as result they did not include the foldable handles, but we'll ship these out to Customers when they arrive , expected before the end of the week.

Surprised to see the manual quote 320Wh for the regular V5F, since they used exactly the same Samsung 22p cells that are in the V3S and older V5. In these other models they state 288Wh for 40 cells and 144Wh for the 20 cell option.

Speed upgrade might be increased to 27kph, original spec was 30kph, but Inmotion thought to exercise caution by limiting to 25kph. We'll need to do some head-to-head testing, Inmotion 25kph feels like it's actually 25kph... :P

Interesting. Brings up another question: is it full and constant tiltback at 25kph, i.e. can you cruise at a solid 25kph tiltback-free?

i ask cause my S2 starts initiating full tiltback at abou +14.5mph, so practically, top, tiltback-free cruising speed is 14mph, even though the top speed is 15mph.

@houseofjobTilt back probably starts around 14.4, but don't remember exactly. You can still cruise at a pretty high speed. I'm basically almost always at the max since I normally cruise at 15-16, but never really go above that.

The red rings are only for decoration. The only thing that lights up are the front (blue) ambient lights, the back (red) ambient lights, and the head light.

I just answered in the App (maybe you saw it already) The V5F+ uses the MH1 from LG, rated with 3200mAh. 40 pieces. So 480Wh are calculated with a voltage of 3,75V per cell. Simple do the math! If this wheel has got the MH1 cells, it will have 480Wh. I can not believe @Jason McNeil is selling a fake...

Maybe a bit of distributor envy... Inmotion have been absolutely terrific. Our first discussions using cells go back more than three months ago. 

The arguments were along of the lines that today there are several cells that offer improved power than the preferred Samsung 22Ps, but also >50% more capacity. Initial reaction was tepid, because of the added costs, but I kept at it & we reached a deal. I think the clincher was that this model now has considerably outspec'd the equivalent S2 in every area. Since the beginning I've been active on trying to get manufacturers to look beyond the initial upfront costs, & that most educated buyers will invariable choose the higher/more powerful cells if given the choice.

So we can say that you are selling a V5F with an upgraded battery. But this is not an official model. In the app, it will identify itself as "V5F". The name "V5F+" is your own idea. True?

I also understand that there will never be any speed difference between V5F and V5F+ because there will always be one V5F firmware version. 

2 minutes ago, aventador said:

So we can say that you are selling a V5F with an upgraded battery. But this is not an official model. In the app, it will identify itself as "V5F". The name "V5F+" is your own idea. True?

I also understand that there will never be any speed difference between V5F and V5F+ because there will always be one V5F firmware version. 

It's Official, exactly the same as when the V5 came out, then the V5+. Firmware is the same, but is the also the case with the V3 C/Pro/S variants too, uses a common firmware different number/type of batteries.

3 hours ago, JonTheMad said:

@Jason McNeil @Fahrtwind do you guys have any comments on the information coming from people using the inmotion application that the V5F+ doesn't exist? That it's a fake and that the latest version of the model actually is the V5F?

this rumour was brought up several times by jealous  other sellers....

just read everything you can find here about this model :-)

i would really like to try one...but i have a big "stop" from my wife in the moment.....

@Jason McNeil Ah...I can sleep better tonight! So awesome you are having sits downs with the manufacturers about improving the product line beyond their scope! A BIG HATS OFF TO YOU!

So the new model shall now be officially called the E-V5F+....EWHEEL V5F+:D

JASON BOURNE THE MAN

Dear Lord, you can call this wheel the new InMotion "Raging Monkey Ball"; if it's coming from a quality volume EUC distributor like @Jason McNeil / eWheels / WheelGo, I have absolutely no question as to its legitimacy and quality.

Please give me more distributors like Jason, ones who care about what we care about.

Ones who will leverage their sales volume and demand more (read: cutting edge, more efficient battery tech) from these companies that are content to making minor upgrades to their wheels and call it a new model with new upcharge.

Ones who will help you even if you haven't purchased your wheel through them (thanks again Jason).

Most EUC distributors out there are basically just a Joe Shmo, pass-through middle man distributor who carry no stock on hand, add no additional value, and claim support as a sales point, but basically leave you on an island when issues come up.

Do yourself a favor and look up Jason's rep and numerous helpful posts on this forum.

50 minutes ago, Jason McNeil said:

It's Official, exactly the same as when the V5 came out, then the V5+. Firmware is the same, but is the also the case with the V3 C/Pro/S variants too, uses a common firmware different number/type of batteries.

But all these models show with their exact model name in the app, whereas in the screenshots in this thread it is called V5F.

9 hours ago, Jason McNeil said:

Firmware is the same but a V5F and a V5F+ won't have the same max speeds because the firmware is using the serial number to detect if the wheel is in the "V5F+" batch and if so, only allow those specific wheels to have the higher speed? Or is the firmware just going to upgrade every V5F with the higher speed?

@fearedbliss let me try his wheel last weekend and i liked it a lot. Pedals seem a bit higher, which makes it a bit less stable but very easy to get used to and allows for making tighter turns. Looks like a million bucks too. I wasnt crazy about the shape/ size of the pedals for several reasons but they are not bad. If it came with a 680 - 840 battery and a bit more powerful ( to carry around a fat pig like myself)  id be all over it!

12 hours ago, Cloud said:

If it came with a 680 - 840 battery and a bit more powerful ( to carry around a fat pig like myself)  id be all over it!

There is another option to increase the range and you know it...:P

Archived