How to get better?

MacPara

So, I managed to control my EUC for a few weeks now. I went on a few longer rides and I am trying to use the wheel as much as I can for getting around to ride as often as I can. Now, of course, I could just keep on doing this and by sole matter of time my skill will increase,  slowly. I think there must a more efficient way of getting better at this. As I believe that skill will help avoid accidents, I am very much interested in getting better quickly. 
What do or did you guys do after the initial "staying-on-the-EUC" period? Any ideas, suggestions on how to improve?

1 hour ago, MacPara said:

So, I managed to control my EUC for a few weeks now. I went on a few longer rides and I am trying to use the wheel as much as I can for getting around to ride as often as I can. Now, of course, I could just keep on doing this and by sole matter of time my skill will increase,  slowly. I think there must a more efficient way of getting better at this. As I believe that skill will help avoid accidents, I am very much interested in getting better quickly. 
What do or did you guys do after the initial "staying-on-the-EUC" period? Any ideas, suggestions on how to improve?

Unless by 'getting better' you mean tricks, which I assume you don't, you don't need to do anything special. It's such an awesome 'organic' sort of learning experience - you will smoothly but incrementally get better without actively realising it.

You'll probably find the most obvious sign of your improving skill is your ability to control the wheel at slower and slower speeds - especially slower and tighter turns. So if you want to jump-start the process, focus on that: increasingly slower and tighter turns/circles. Going fast/straight is easy. Once you get really good, slalolm/'carving' on the road is also fun to start doing, and looks awesome.

Lastly,  don't be confused/worried if one of the absolute LAST things you are able to master is simply how to mount the wheel successfully 100% of the time, unaided. For a long time even AFTER I could zoom around confidently, I still had to hold onto a poll or wall from a standstill as I nervously put the other foot on. Now it's 2nd nature, even after a few beers ?. You want to master the 'skateboard/kick mount' method. I.e. bringing up your second foot after you've already kicked off and started rolling - it's awkward at first I know. ENJOY!

I agree with @Paddylaz. My dealer also suggested the kickstart method to getting good at starts. The one wierd thing I had to wrap my head around in doing that is that , since it is motorized, I actally have to "activate" the EUC into forward motion for this. 

I am now more than 9 months into EUC and still getting up to speed, but it gets better every day. I still use "crutches" of trash cans and things sometimes, but my slow turns, fast turns, and pendulums are much better. I'm just starting to think about riding backwards.

Another lesson was to not get over confident. It's much like a motorcycle in that if you stop paying attention at any time, you are opening yourself up for an accident. So, after having a few of those, my accident to ride ratio is very small. :)

Thanks for the replies! I did notice that going really slow while maintaining perfect control seems to be getting better while requiring the most in concentration and attention than riding at higher speeds. So, I'll just add some practice sessions in that focus on tight slow turns and slow slaloms. I also felt that trying to extend the time from "push off" to placing the second foot on the pedal should be able to improve the whole mounting procedure and its reliability.  Good stuff to practice!

2 hours ago, MacPara said:

Thanks for the replies! I did notice that going really slow while maintaining perfect control seems to be getting better while requiring the most in concentration and attention than riding at higher speeds. So, I'll just add some practice sessions in that focus on tight slow turns and slow slaloms. I also felt that trying to extend the time from "push off" to placing the second foot on the pedal should be able to improve the whole mounting procedure and its reliability.  Good stuff to practice!

Absolutely agree with the above coments. I love this forum because you can always get good solid responses . EUC is unlike anything else . So building that muscle memory and getting comfortable on the wheel takes everyone a different amount of time . So don’t get discouraged. 

I got my fist EUC on January 13th of this year . At was really tricky at first . But I stuck with it and now I’m able to ride backwards, one legged ,slow , fast etc ..

Determination and time is key. I found riding off-road , gravel grass and the like really helped my control overall. So maybe try that . 

4 hours ago, Paddylaz said:

even after a few beers ?

:roflmao: I'm even better after a few beers. But I digress.  All good advice here.  Let me add some more.

• 360s
  • 180s
  • figure 8s
  • all of the above on a slope; across and with the slope
  • all of those above on soft surfaces.
  • all of the above smoothly and under control, consistent speed throughout.
  • steep hills up and down
  • soft surfaces sand, gravel, grass, mud, snow, etc
  • wide fast slaloms leaning into the turns like on a motorcycle
  • slow tight slaloms pivoting at the ankles/knees, up to two turns per second
  • turning by moving your feet up and down, opposite to each other
  • mounting on a hill (up or down) hint start across the grade then turn towards your desired direction)
  • turning by leaning
  • turning by twisting, ankles, knees, hips, shoulders (all create a different type of turn). You will use them all eventually, and in combination, and subconsciously, when needed.
  • slow to a crawl and do a tight (under 2 feet) 180, both ways
  • come to a complete stop and do a 180 on the spot (twist top half as far as possible, then snap the lowers to follow), ride off.  Both ways.
  • ride looking straight up at the sky (wide open, safe spaces only, no vehicles)
  • ride while trying to look 180deg behind you (both ways) good for checking traffic and for cops (if you ride in the dark ages)
  • ride with eyes closed (Wide, safe, smooth, no vehicles)

Those last three were recommended by @Mono a while back.  I said no way, but of course, I was out the next day trying them:facepalm:.  Believe it or not, its possible to ride with your eyes closed for a long way  (helps if you ride on a tiled or bricked surface to listen for speed clues), if you're using the wind in your face method, you're probably riding too fast.  I personally counted 15 seconds before I chickened out; there were a few random lamp posts in the area:D.  Helps if you have a buddy along to spot you (a buddy you trust, that is, not one filming you for an epic fail viral video)

2 hours ago, Smoother said:

:roflmao: I'm even better after a few beers. But I digress.  All good advice here.  Let me add some more.

• 360s
  • 180s
  • figure 8s
  • mounting on a hill (up or down) hint start across the grade then turn towards your desired direction)
  • turning by leaning
  • turning by twisting, ankles, knees, hips, shoulders (all create a different type of turn). You will use them all eventually, and in combination, and subconsciously, when needed.
  • come to a complete stop and do a 180 on the spot (twist top half as far as possible, then snap the lowers to follow), ride off.  Both ways.
  • ride looking straight up at the sky (wide open, safe spaces only, no vehicles)
  • ride while trying to look 180deg behind you (both ways) good for checking traffic and for cops (if you ride in the dark ages)

Those last three were recommended by @Mono a while back.  I said no way, but of course, I was out the next day trying them:facepalm:.  Believe it or not, its possible to ride with your eyes closed for a long way  (helps if you ride on a tiled or bricked surface to listen for speed clues), if you're using the wind in your face method, you're probably riding too fast.  I personally counted 15 seconds before I chickened out; there were a few random lamp posts in the area:D.  Helps if you have a buddy along to spot you (a buddy you trust, that is, not one filming you for an epic fail viral video)

You left out: 

• ride up Mount Everest, naked, whilst on fire
  • ride backwards over crocodiles like Roger Moore in Live & Let Die
  • Ride around inner circumference of an active erupting volcano while high on crystal meth and infected with Ebola.

Amateur.

6 minutes ago, Paddylaz said:

You left out: 

• ride up Mount Everest, naked, whilst on fire
  • ride backwards over crocodiles like Roger Moore in Live & Let Die
  • Ride around inner circumference of an active erupting volcano while high on crystal meth and infected with Ebola.

I never recommend anything I haven't done yet.  Anyway, I thought that would keep him busy for a while.;)

2 hours ago, Smoother said:

• 360s
  • 180s
  • figure 8s
  • turning by leaning

This is a helpful list and it will indeed keep me occupied for quite some time. I'll try the crocodile jumping when I make it to Florida :-).

Archived