Is king song a contender for the gotway top spot?

Donafello

I'm currently so close to pulling the trigger on a brand new king song 18in 800w 680wh from will eddy over at electricunicyclereviews.com and wanted to get people's take on this. I was originally looking into a gotway msuper but after reading the high praise king song is getting I'm leaning towards them.  Anybody who owns a 18in king song I would love to get your take.  Or any msuper owners. 

I haven't had the oportunity to try the KS 18 yet and have to admit that I'm not keen on the look of the ultra high case. However this does seem to allow them to fit everything inside without having to have the huge square tank like body of the M18. This looks as though it is a more ergonomic shape to fit the human form and let's face it the physical interface between wheel and rider is far more important than flashing lights or cool round shapes.

I believe they are about to upgrade the motors in a similar way to the 14" wheels where they went from 500W to 800w motors so I personally would be inclined to hold fire for a week or two to see what happens. At the very least the older stock could possibly get a discount.

Oh man.  Now I'm really confused on what to do. Kale has mentioned if I order now I would get the 800w motor but now a 1100w is coming? Where did you hear that?

I've heard it mentioned that the 18" will indeed get a motor upgrade to 1100W, but I don't know how soon.

Be very careful of old stock as the original 18" King Song only had a 500W motor which I don't think is really enough for a big wheel, the 800w is obviously going to be a lot better but personally I'd wait for the upgrade to 1100w.

I've driven the 500 W KS18 two weeks ago. Runs much better than my old EU. Tried a track where my IPS got stuck with me - no difficulties. Felt like much more power. but the 1100 W is out now. So why buy 500 W ;)

I've driven the 500 W KS18 two weeks ago. Runs much better than my old EU. Tried a track where my IPS got stuck with me - no difficulties. Felt like much more power. but the 1100 W is out now. So why buy 500 W ;)

Is the 1100w already out?

If that is definately the case then it's the obvious choice. I thought it was only the 800w that was available at present.

As I understand motor design, a higher wattage rating on the motor means it has different windings and will use more power during a typical cruising speed. So "a bigger wattage motor is better" only applies if you are willing to sacrifice battery life and distance. In other words, there is no free lunch. No EUC maker has ever done a very good job of explaining where they get their motor ratings so it's not possible to know from that number exactly what it means to speed/distance/climbing abilities. We need some good objective tests of finished EUC performance!

@dmethvin is probably correct, the law of diminishing returns almost certainly applies to motor output power. The confusion between nominal, sustained & peak power further obfuscate true performance. The formula that IPS/Airwheel used to use, was that the motor power was just a multiple of the sustained power delivery of the battery pack, on an individual cell basis ~40.62W/cell. Over the past six months IPS have started actually dyno testing their Wheels performance & consequently the figures are now lower, while AirWheel haven't come out with a new product in over a year.... The textbook definition of a motors power output, is related to the current that can be pushed through without encountering detrimental degradation owing to heat build-up.

Chaps in Hong Kong, John, Kevin, Donald confirm my reports that subjectively & objectively the KS800W is vastly superior in raw performance to anything else that has appeared before, including those, like SW, with higher nominal power outputs. What the industry/eWheel community desperately needs is for someone to create a dyno rig (rolling road) that simulates a rider, it doesn't have to be terribly sophisticated, but at last can give eWheels a proper power ranking. 

Archived