action cameras. and protecting rights

Shad0z

i dont know if i typed the title wrong or if it came out sounding right this is the edge of my english :ph34r:

just think of this scenario:

youre driving on a euc, then a bike drives carelessly infront of you and you both crash the person accuses you of driving infront of him

then the police arrives and tries to figure out the situation and guess who is their first suspect

the guy on a bike     or...    the guy on a motorised selfbalancing wheel that has led lights and looks like something out of the next century

then you could simply take out your cheap action camera you bought for 30 dollars (doesnt have to be higher than that) and prove them wrong without anymore problems B)

but without anything that filmed it. you cant do anything about it it could end up being you getting the problems :wacko:

the reason why i want more people to start using helmet cams and such is eucs are attention grabbers and some people do stupid things and the thing that grab their attention can aswell be their next victim 

and you dont need to buy the new gopro hero 6 or anything and you can get 30 dollar descent action cameras that work

NOTE: if you go lower in price quality control just becomes no existent

Cameras are a good idea when riding if you are able.  Some areas in the US they have made cameras on the helmet illegal for motorcycles but I don't know if this would apply to an EUC.  If you wear one on your helmet, make sure it's legal first.  

I've been hit once on my road bike and the driver took off leaving me injured and bleeding in the middle of the road.  They found the driver because I was able to get the license plate number and description of the vehicle but had I been knocked unconscious they may have gotten away with it.  I now have a camera on the front and a camera on the rear of the bike to record my rides to help protect me.  

17 minutes ago, Cranium said:

Some areas in the US they have made cameras on the helmet illegal for motorcycles but I don't know if this would apply to an EUC. 

Do you have any links or backup for this? I don't believe this to be the case. I believe there are some regulations regarding items protruding from helmets from manufacturers, but I don't believe there's anything that could preclude you from attaching something to your helmet on your own. I also think it would be a gross violation of several constitutional principles, including free speech and property rights.

Regarding the original post, I too encourage people to use cameras while riding to eliminate the possibility of being blamed for things when they're not your fault.

41 minutes ago, who_the said:

Do you have any links or backup for this? I don't believe this to be the case. I believe there are some regulations regarding items protruding from helmets from manufacturers, but I don't believe there's anything that could preclude you from attaching something to your helmet on your own.

I remember reading this page a while back when the subject was brought up. I think the main concerns are that the helmet could have dangerous protrusions, or that modifying the helmet to attach things could compromise its protection.

http://www.thenewstribune.com/news/local/traffic/article129460384.html

IMHO if your attempting to use a static  mounted Gopro or similar style sport camera on your body it works best when mounted to your chest or shoulder. Having used various helmet cams the video footage ends up all over the place from the constant turning of your head. If your trying to capture an accident you will most likely miss the entire shoot as you will instinctly turn your  head away from the impact zone. 

5 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

IMHO if your attempting to use a static  mounted Gopro or similar style sport camera on your body it works best when mounted to your chest or shoulder. Having used various helmet cams the video footage ends up all over the place from the constant turning of your head. If your trying to capture an accident you will most likely miss the entire shoot as you will instinctly turn your  head away from the impact zone. 

My camera also comes with a little clip

so i can probably just clip it on my shirt i will see when it comes..

5 hours ago, Shad0z said:

My camera also comes with a little clip

so i can probably just clip it on my shirt i will see when it comes..

Here are a few examples of static body mounts. There is a plethora of mounts and DIY adaptations out there.

25624432358_6b7553c6dc_b.jpg

27717967129_c94a391abd_b.jpg

3 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

Here are a few examples of static body mounts. There is a plethora of mounts and DIY adaptations out there.

25624432358_6b7553c6dc_b.jpg

27717967129_c94a391abd_b.jpg

i have tried chestnount and that is just too much it is hard getting on it is annoying having on and sholder mount sounds like a possibility but i will see when the camera comes it has like 10 different parts for mounting soo. if i can use them i will otherwise i will have to go into diy territory :)  but i think the clip will work just fine easy to take on and off and not extremely noticable

but i think the kit has a descent shoulder mouth too so i will just see 

1 hour ago, Shad0z said:

i have tried chestnount and that is just too much it is hard getting on it is annoying having on and sholder mount sounds like a possibility but i will see when the camera comes it has like 10 different parts for mounting soo. if i can use them i will otherwise i will have to go into diy territory :)  but i think the clip will work just fine easy to take on and off and not extremely noticable

but i think the kit has a descent shoulder mouth too so i will just see 

I'm been experimenting mounting my GoPro directly to the wheel. I recently posted this video on another topic. It shows the comparison with and w/o a gimbal. Big difference in vibration. I am now fabricating a custom mount that will hopefully  dampen vibration and provide smooth footage as a selfie stick without the gimbal.

19 hours ago, who_the said:

Do you have any links or backup for this? I don't believe this to be the case. I believe there are some regulations regarding items protruding from helmets from manufacturers, but I don't believe there's anything that could preclude you from attaching something to your helmet on your own. I also think it would be a gross violation of several constitutional principles, including free speech and property rights.

Regarding the original post, I too encourage people to use cameras while riding to eliminate the possibility of being blamed for things when they're not your fault.

Department of Transportation (49 CFR Sec. 571.218 ) specifically prohibits attaching anything to a helmet which may protrude more than 0.2". 

S5.5 Projections. A helmet shall not have any rigid projections inside its shell. Rigid projections outside any helmet’s shell shall be limited to those
required for operation of essential accessories, and shall not protrude more than 0.20 inch (5 mm).

A camera is not considered an essential accessory.  There is also a section that states:

S5.6.1(f)(3) ‘‘Make no modifications. Fasten helmet securely. If helmet experiences a severe blow, return it to the manufacturer for inspection, or destroy it
and replace it.’’

Link for the document: https://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/CFR-2011-title49-vol6/pdf/CFR-2011-title49-vol6-sec571-218.pdf

So an argument can be effectively made and enforced by the police that a camera attached to a helmet is a DOT violation.  This could also potentially be interpreted to apply to EUC helmets as well since the scope of document states:

S1. Scope. This standard establishes minimum performance requirements for helmets designed for use by motorcyclists and other motor vehicle users.

44 minutes ago, Cranium said:

Department of Transportation (49 CFR Sec. 571.218 ) specifically prohibits attaching anything to a helmet which may protrude more than 0.2". 

A camera is not considered an essential accessory.  There is also a section that states:

Link for the document: https://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/CFR-2011-title49-vol6/pdf/CFR-2011-title49-vol6-sec571-218.pdf

So an argument can be effectively made and enforced by the police that a camera attached to a helmet is a DOT violation.  This could also potentially be interpreted to apply to EUC helmets as well since the scope of document states:

i will check if its the same in russia...

2 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

I'm been experimenting mounting my GoPro directly to the wheel. I recently posted this video on another topic. It shows the comparison with and w/o a gimbal. Big difference in vibration. I am now fabricating a custom mount that will hopefully  dampen vibration and provide smooth footage as a selfie stick without the gimbal.

sounds like a good ideas but where do you mount it? 

5 hours ago, Shad0z said:

i will check if its the same in russia...

sounds like a good ideas but where do you mount it? 

Here are some photos showing the attachment of the GoPro 5 to my ACM 1600. The plastic GoPro attachments will mount almost anywhere on an EUC as long as the surface is cleaned throughly.  Unfortunately with this rigid attachment the GoPro 5 does produce some vibration in video footage. I am hoping the new Gopro 6 will offer increased stabilization. Using a gimbal is the best method for stabilization when mounting a camera directly to a wheel.  

Aside from mounting a camera directly to an EUC the selfie stick in my opinion is the true winner. Just look at the fantastic videos @Marty Backe  and other members have shot. Very smooth footage. 

27731780879_d7ee4556dd_b.jpg

39477854822_043bc2b7ea_b.jpg

24640351127_1ed9d69a38_b.jpg

I had my camera attached directly to the Firewheel for a while but got vibrations similar to the ones Rehab1 showed on his video. It also puts the microphone close to the wheel which gives you the motor whine and any road noise.  The gimbal footage looks great but they usually add a lot of size to the package and they are expensive so I wouldn't want to have them on the front of my wheel.

Most of the Chinese Gopro clones come with a belt clip attachment and I've been using that on my belt. That gives you the vibration reduction provided by your knees and puts the camera in a place that isn't right in someone's face. 

57 minutes ago, Hansolo said:

Interesting product but their marketing makes it look like you are saving a ton of money buying from indiegogo but when you compare the specs to what is out there today, they aren't saving you anything and their accessories are overpriced even with their special "discount".  That camera only records at a maximum of 1080P @ 30FPS .  For having details preserved with the movement of being on a EUC, I would suggest a camera with 60FPS and/or higher resolution.

For a alternative and less expensive solution consider a RunCam 2.  It was designed for recording video while mounted on quadcopters.  It is rugged, records at 1920*1440@30fps / 1080p@60fps / 720p@120fps and best of all it's only $80 and the accessories are cheap.  Only downside is that you have to figure out how to mount it.  It comes with a tripod mount and that's about it.

RUNCAM2-BL-1__77445.1512961391.1280.1280.jpg?c=2

https://shop.runcam.com/runcam2

39 minutes ago, Cranium said:

Interesting product but their marketing makes it look like you are saving a ton of money buying from indiegogo but when you compare the specs to what is out there today, they aren't saving you anything and their accessories are overpriced even with their special "discount".  That camera only records at a maximum of 1080P @ 30FPS .  For having details preserved with the movement of being on a EUC, I would suggest a camera with 60FPS and/or higher resolution.

For a alternative and less expensive solution consider a RunCam 2.  It was designed for recording video while mounted on quadcopters.  It is rugged, records at 1920*1440@30fps / 1080p@60fps / 720p@120fps and best of all it's only $80 and the accessories are cheap.  Only downside is that you have to figure out how to mount it.  It comes with a tripod mount and that's about it.

RUNCAM2-BL-1__77445.1512961391.1280.1280.jpg?c=2

https://shop.runcam.com/runcam2

i watched some videos on the RunCam2. well the marketing looks good but the video footage isnt the best especially at that price 

go look for "lightdow" action cams they can range from 30-50 dollars and these are the models to look for:

lightdow 4k 24fps (the one i bought)

LD4000 

LD6000 same quality as above just more expensive

i can reccomend all of these and NOTE: the 4k is QHD and not 4k 

the others are 1080p                              

EDIT:if you look around and you find the cheap 20 dollars cameras they are really bad sj4000(counterfeit) and other no brand 20 dollar 1080p action cameras

Archived