If Skateboards Can Do This Why Not EUCs?

Rehab1

46 minutes ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

Even with image stabilization, wouldn't mounting directly onto the wheel result in a significantly jerky picture? 

@Rehab1 has posted some comparison videos with/without image stabilization and if I recall the video is very usable. I need to do a trial run with my latest camera.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

BTW, are the typical GoPro self-adhesive mounts relatively easy to remove from a wheel without damaging the plastic of the wheel? That's the only thing that keeps me from slapping some of those on my wheels.

Very easy to remove. Just a little heat from a hairdryer. You may have to use some Goo b Gone to remove any remaining adhesive. 

4 hours ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

Even with image stabilization, wouldn't mounting directly onto the wheel result in a significantly jerky picture? 

It is best to use a gimbal if mounting the camera directly to the EUC. Here is a good comparison from some footage taken this summer. The gimbal really smoothes out the video in the second test run.

11 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

The gimbal really smoothes out the video in the second test run.

I really like the gimbal effect...but not the price and potential for damage due to my lack of riding skills in tight circumstances. Digital camera stabilisation is the same comment. I'm a pretty casual EUC videographer with no great desire for just the right effect. But I like the various stabilization effects used on this forum by riders.

I read an article awhile ago about reducing helicopter cockpit vibration from rotor effects by counter application of force to a 'suspended cockpit'.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.ainonline.com/aviation-news/2007-10-08/ec-225-features-new-anti-vibration-system%3Famp&ved=0ahUKEwjt-ZzH7LfYAhUDhOAKHS0GAXQQFgiaATAb&usg=AOvVaw0_y3fR3aVquEMR46VGK2ev&ampcf=1

3 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

@Rehab1 has posted some comparison videos with/without image stabilization and if I recall the video is very usable. I need to do a trial run with my latest camera.

Did your camera come with stick on mounts?  https://www.sony.com/electronics/actioncam-mounting-accessories/vct-am1

Chooch tech reviewed a lesser version of the Sony and said you can get an adapter to use go pro mount.  https://youtu.be/rDPXg1Npauc

17 minutes ago, Bob Eisenman said:

I read an article awhile ago about reducing helicopter cockpit vibration from rotor effects by counter application of force to a 'suspended cockpit'.

Yes the Gropro does come with stick on mounts. The best mounts come with a 3M adhesive pad.  I usually buy bags of 10 just for experimenting with attachment points. 

Any sport camera should be able to use a GoPro mount. There’s a plethora of manufacturers that now produce the mounts. 

43 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

Yes the Gropro does come with stick on mounts. The best mounts come with a 3M adhesive pad.  I usually buy bags of 10 just for experimenting with attachment points. 

Any sport camera should be able to use a GoPro mount. There’s a plethora of manufacturers that now produce the mounts

My favorite scene from The Three Amigos.  

I think Go Pro has the market on mounts.  It's a brilliant design.  They can be installed on just about anything, helmet. chest, handlebar, any flat surface.

1 hour ago, steve454 said:

Did your camera come with stick on mounts?  https://www.sony.com/electronics/actioncam-mounting-accessories/vct-am1

Chooch tech reviewed a lesser version of the Sony and said you can get an adapter to use go pro mount.  https://youtu.be/rDPXg1Npauc

It came with an adapter plate that allows it to connect to a GoPro mount. As @Rehab1 said, as long as it has a 1/4-20 threaded hole (the Sony does) than there are endless mounting options.

11 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

It came with an adapter plate that allows it to connect to a GoPro mount. As @Rehab1 said, as long as it has a 1/4-20 threaded hole (the Sony does) than there are endless mounting options.

Make sure your mounting surface is clean (rubbing alcohol) and use a blow dryer to heat up both the GoPro mount and the surface your attaching it to. Press hard or even use a rubber mallet and tap lightly. It makes for a tenacious bond. 

6 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

Make sure your mounting surface is clean (rubbing alcohol) and use a blow dryer to heat up both the GoPro mount and the surface your attaching it to. Press hard or even use a rubber mallet and tap lightly. It makes for a tenacious bond. 

Good tip about applying heat while affixing the mount. I wouldn't have thought of that.

BTW, have you ever used adhesive Velcro to attach a GoPro mount? I suspect it would be secure enough and maybe even help alleviate a little of the vibration since the connection is no longer rigid.

1 hour ago, Rehab1 said:

Any sport camera should be able to use a GoPro mount. There’s a plethora of manufacturers that now produce the mounts. 

2 hours ago, Bob Eisenman said:

I was thinking real size in reference to your post

"Not quit the same but once I dropped Santa off in a helicopter at a local Walmart Store and the TV stations arrived for that stunt. Sensational heartfelt stories tend to gain a TV station’s interest most of the time. :) Good Luck! "

Just now, Marty Backe said:

Good tip about applying heat while affixing the mount. I wouldn't have thought of that.

BTW, have you ever used adhesive Velcro to attach a GoPro mount? I suspect it would be secure enough and maybe even help alleviate a little of the vibration since the connection is no longer rigid.

I’ve tried that. It depends on the surface. Velcro did not stick very well on my ACM but perform pretty well on both the V8 and V5F+. The plastic surface needs to be smooth because of the thin surface of adhesive on the Velcro. I suppose there might be a  more tenacious Velcro out there with a thicker backing. 

I’ve considered using the thick 3m adhesive backing and attaching it to a low or medium density block of foam and then attaching the GoPro mount to it. The combination might provide enough shock absorption to reduce vibration. I just purchased the new GoPro 6 which is suppose to greatly reduce vibration. I just need some more time off to experiment. Hopefully Bitcoin will afford me that.;)

42 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

I’ve tried that. It depends on the surface. Velcro did not stick very well on my ACM but perform pretty well on both the V8 and V5F+. The plastic surface needs to be smooth because of the thin surface of adhesive on the Velcro. I suppose there might be a  more tenacious Velcro out there with a thicker backing. 

I’ve considered using the thick 3m adhesive backing and attaching it to a low or medium density block of foam and then attaching the GoPro mount to it. The combination might provide enough shock absorption to reduce vibration. I just purchased the new GoPro 6 which is suppose to greatly reduce vibration. I just need some more time off to experiment. Hopefully Bitcoin will afford me that.;)

Even more ideas. I like the idea of using foam :thumbup:

Archived