Kingsong 18S humming

Nick R

I just got my new Kingsong 18S today. 
Been riding the 16S for a few weeks.. A couple of things I noticed with the 18S

1) It hums. Is this normal ? With my KS16S I did not have any humming noise. 
2. Because of the height... it now pushes up against the inside of my knees whereas the 16S were against my calf... Considering that not a lot of meat around the knee .. this can be quite painful. Whats your experience ? And how do you handle that ? 

This was just a quick impression after taking it out to the back alley and rode it for about 2-3 minutes. 
I havent even pumped the tire up or anything... 

Would like to hear from anyone who has the 18S. especially about the humming.. 
It's not loud or anything but I definitely can hear it. I understand it has fan inside.. but is your unit hums when turned on ? 

I can hear a hum if the fans on my 16S are on. Did you check from the app wether the fans are on or not?

I've read that because of it's height the KS18 requires a different riding style. Once mastered, people seem to love it. I'm pretty sure you'll learn how to handle the 18S without pain. It is very common to have pains with a new wheel. Also, it is very common for riders to put padding where they feel it's needed, regardless of the model.

6 minutes ago, Nick R said:

I just got my new Kingsong 18S today. 
Been riding the 16S for a few weeks.. A couple of things I noticed with the 18S

1) It hums. Is this normal ? With my KS16S I did not have any humming noise. 
2. Because of the height... it now pushes up against the inside of my knees whereas the 16S were against my calf... Considering that not a lot of meat around the knee .. this can be quite painful. Whats your experience ? And how do you handle that ? 

This was just a quick impression after taking it out to the back alley and rode it for about 2-3 minutes. 
I havent even pumped the tire up or anything... 

Would like to hear from anyone who has the 18S. especially about the humming.. 
It's not loud or anything but I definitely can hear it. I understand it has fan inside.. but is your unit hums when turned on ? 

I guess you mean that star wars noise that you hear on low speeds? Thats normal :-) On higher speeds it goes away!

For the high shell and the usage: you just have to get used to this shell type and the bigger wheel! Its very, very different to other 18inches and even more to a 16 inch type!

It all takes time! Just take it...you will find your prefered style...(and check the Air!!)

Once you get used to it (again:takes time) you will love it as the most high speed stable wheel! It is no „trick“ wheel...but is other advantages....

No I am not referring to the whining noise... I get that with the KS16S too. and tell you the truth, I kinda like it. 

This is a soft hum at start up.. 
I am sure its the fan.. but just want to make sure its not anything out of ordinary. 
Nobody here in Texas rides these suckers... so I cant ask anybody.. We are the only ones that the parks doing these thing..
People's jaws just drop watching us whizzing by wondering what UFO we are riding. :D

6 minutes ago, Nick R said:

No I am not referring to the whining noise... I get that with the KS16S too. and tell you the truth, I kinda like it. 

This is a soft hum at start up.. 
I am sure its the fan.. but just want to make sure its not anything out of ordinary. 
Nobody here in Texas rides these suckers... so I cant ask anybody.. We are the only ones that the parks doing these thing..
People's jaws just drop watching us whizzing by wondering what UFO we are riding. :D

The fan only works on temperatures over 50degree celsius...that needs a bit or work till it starts!

Normally you have to put 10 minutes extrem driving before it goes over that temp.

But ok...i guess then you mean the kind of „eletrical noise“ coming from the board? ok, the 18s is known for that....also for „jittering/vibrating“ a little bit when standing still...

firmware update 1.02 (only on new app available) should get rid of the jitteringvibrating

14 hours ago, KingSong69 said:

But ok...i guess then you mean the kind of „eletrical noise“ coming from the board? ok, the 18s is known for that....also for „jittering/vibrating“ a little bit when standing still...

firmware update 1.02 (only on new app available) should get rid of the jitteringvibrating

My kingsong app shows firmware 1.01 
There is no button to update to latest.  

"Only on new app" Are you saying to get each new firmware we have to uninstall old app and get new app ? 
Seriously ? If we do that.. do we have to go through the speed unlocking all over again ?  

26 minutes ago, Nick R said:

My kingsong app shows firmware 1.01 
There is no button to update to latest.  

"Only on new app" Are you saying to get each new firmware we have to uninstall old app and get new app ? 
Seriously ? If we do that.. do we have to go through the speed unlocking all over again ?  

Kingsong has a new app, but in beta stadium. Updates for firmware only go over this new app! no firmware updates are possible anymore over the old „greenish“ app, they only pop up on the new app.

If you are on android you can install the new app, it works ok meanwhile, you have to register with eMail and personal dates, and that is enough for speed unlocking, so its kind of a new process. Lot of new functions on the app...

on IOS the new version just was released two days ago, dont update, its not working!

35 minutes ago, KingSong69 said:

Kingsong has a new app, but in beta stadium. Updates for firmware only go over this new app! no firmware updates are possible anymore over the old „greenish“ app, they only pop up on the new app.

If you are on android you can install the new app, it works ok meanwhile, you have to register with eMail and personal dates, and that is enough for speed unlocking, so its kind of a new process. Lot of new functions on the app...

on IOS the new version just was released two days ago, dont update, its not working!

In Beta... well should I wait ? how stable is it ? 

Cah 

36 minutes ago, KingSong69 said:

Can you provide the link ? 

49 minutes ago, KingSong69 said:

I went to this site.. and downloaded the android app.. 
http://www.szkingsong.com/list-30.html

The actual app that pulls up is the green old app.. Looks nothing like the shown screenshots on the page

56 minutes ago, Nick R said:

I went to this site.. and downloaded the android app.. 
http://www.szkingsong.com/list-30.html

The actual app that pulls up is the green old app.. Looks nothing like the shown screenshots on the page

Read the andorid thread for the new app...there you will find some links...sorry, to lazy to search for you ;-)

7 minutes ago, KingSong69 said:

Read the andorid thread for the new app...there you will find some links...sorry, to lazy to search for you ;-)

I only found this  but its only available in Chinese.. Is this the Beta version  you were talking about ? 

20 minutes ago, Nick R said:

I only found this  but its only available in Chinese.. Is this the Beta version  you were talking about ? 

Yip, read a bit on...

The link i used gave my directly a english version, which works good

9 minutes ago, KingSong69 said:

Yip, read a bit on...

The link i used gave my directly a english version, which works good

What link ? 
The only other link in that thread is to download wheellog .. 

Are you talking aboout the Baidu link ? ... to a chinese page ?
This one ? 
https://pan.baidu.com/s/1nvUhNQh

Is this download an english version ?

• 2 months later...
On 10/10/2017 at 4:10 PM, KingSong69 said:

The fan only works on temperatures over 50degree celsius...that needs a bit or work till it starts!

Normally you have to put 10 minutes extrem driving before it goes over that temp.

My KS app is telling me to update to 1.02 for the jittering fix. I haven't noticed this 'problem'. Is the jittering an actual problem and does it occur on all KS18S's. It's not my wheel so I'm not going to update it, but I'm wondering if @Sketch should update eventually?

19 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

My KS app is telling me to update to 1.02 for the jittering fix. I haven't noticed this 'problem'. Is the jittering an actual problem and does it occur on all KS18S's. It's not my wheel so I'm not going to update it, but I'm wondering if @Sketch should update eventually?

What is meant with "jittering" is that the wheel has a tendency to vibrate when you stand still. This is no "real" Problem in my view. Also, the update to 1.02 does not make the vibrating go completly away. So there is no real Need to do the update...but also it doesnt do any damage...

As the update process on the new app is "repeatable", even in the case the update goes wrong, there is no risk to do it....

My 2 cents

10 hours ago, KingSong69 said:

What is meant with "jittering" is that the wheel has a tendency to vibrate when you stand still. This is no "real" Problem in my view. Also, the update to 1.02 does not make the vibrating go completly away. So there is no real Need to do the update...but also it doesnt do any damage...

As the update process on the new app is "repeatable", even in the case the update goes wrong, there is no risk to do it....

My 2 cents

Thanks. Probably best to leave it alone.

20 minutes ago, Sketch said:

@Marty Backe  @KingSong69  Now that you mention it,  I have noticed some jitter at standstill on the KS18s.  Marty, feel free to update the firmware if you like, but if it doesn’t bother you, there is probably no need.

Will do. I haven't noticed it yet, but I'll keep a lookout for it.

Archived