Which headlamps for nightly rides ?

HermanTheGerman

Which headlamps do you use ?

Until recently I used my outdoor headlamps, like Petzl Tikka or a comparable Black Diamond lamp, some have 300 Lumen and a lightrange of 100 meters. Then I saw accidentally a Boruit RJ5000 and could not believe what I red. For 24 bucks I gave it a try, and must say I was quite surprised. I don't know if the lamp really has 5000 Lumen, but it is by far the brightest lamp I ever had until now. I would say the light range is at least 300m, and it uses rechargable Lithium batteries. 

Because I'm always interested in good outdoor lamps, please let me  also know what you use and what your experiences are.

59 minutes ago, Asylsteirer said:

Which headlamps do you use ?

Until recently I used my outdoor headlamps, like Petzl Tikka or a comparable Black Diamond lamp, some have 300 Lumen and a lightrange of 100 meters. Then I saw accidentally a Boruit RJ5000 and could not believe what I red. For 24 bucks I gave it a try, and must say I was quite surprised. I don't know if the lamp really has 5000 Lumen, but it is by far the brightest lamp I ever had until now. I would say the light range is at least 300m, and it uses rechargable Lithium batteries. 

Because I'm always interested in good outdoor lamps, please let me  also know what you use and what your experiences are.

Can you post a picture of the unit?

For the last 2 years I've used the Urban 800 from Light and Motion on my folding bike and just fitted one to my V8. It is mainly metal body construction, 3 constant power settings plus one pulse (not strobe) setting, and rechargeable Li-Ion via USB. Mine is 800 lumens (apparently a true measurement) model with fast charge. This was the brightest they went when I brought mine but I think they go brighter now. Multiple attachment methods. Previously I used a handlebar clamp but now I use a GoPro mount on my wheel. Only used it once at night so far but was great at picking out the potholes a long way away. I use it on pulse during the day all the time.

The rear lamp on my wheel is also light and motion. Vis 180. Pulse and constant modes. Metal body. USB rechargeable. Very bright.

I also use their Vis 360 + helmet mounted lamps on my helmet. A combo of front and rear lights connected via a coiled cable. That runs in the upper 200 lumen range I think.

All these lamps show orange light to the sides for all round visibility. Not really needed on the V8 disco machine but I dint normally use the side LEDs.

Awesome gear but expensive. That seems to be the way I roll.

DSC_0033.JPG

When I ride at night, I use the Petzl Reactik + headlamp.  I wear it on my head if I'm not using a helmet.  But it also fits nicely on my Bell Super 3R for those times when I am wearing a helmet.  

The Petzl has three levels of white light intensity (plus a couple of red levels), but I usually use the lowest one.  That's plenty of output for basic navigation.  

The best thing about this model is that it senses ambient lumination and adapts accordingly.  So if you want to glance at your phone, watch, map, etc., it realizes you don't need full intensity and automatically scales back to a lower level.  Conversely, it automatically jacks up the output to the highest level when it senses you are in the pitch dark. This feature extends the life of the charge while also sparing your night vision.  The unit is rechargeable, but you can also swap in regular batteries if you are going to be off the grid.  

Thanks for all the infos !

I do not use an additional light on the wheel directly, because I think the builtin light of my KS16 is sufficient  to see the path for the next 5 to 7 meters. 

But I like to see in the dark what goes on in front of me, maybe 100 meters away, and for this I like the headlamp, especially in the outdoors.

The reason why I was so surprised about this specific headlamp, is, that I'm used to the mountaineering headlamps like Petzl Tikka or Reactik mentioned above, and this Boruit is so much brighter that I couldn't believe it.  I was seeking for a much brighter lamp since years, mainly because of our ski mountaineering, where we sometimes ski down in the dark.

Meanwhile I found out via Google that there are headlamps, which are advertised with 10,000 Lumen and more.

It looks like I just missed some recent developments in this sector.

3 hours ago, Asylsteirer said:

I do not use an additional light on the wheel directly, because I think the builtin light of my KS16 is sufficient  to see the path for the next 5 to 7 meters.

Sorry for going into detail about the wheel mounted lamp which wasn't relevant . Until you posted you picture of your lamp I was thinking of headlamp being like a headlamp in a car not a literal head mounted lamp as you intended. At least I mentioned the Vis360 on my helmet. I believe they make a more powerful version of that now. No where near as bright at what you are talking about though.

3 hours ago, Asylsteirer said:

Meanwhile I found out via Google that there are headlamps, which are advertised with 10,000 Lumen and more.

Advertised Lumen are like Watts when selling speakers. Buyer beware. Lots of marketing talk there.

49 minutes ago, ir_fuel said:

Advertised Lumen are like Watts when selling speakers. Buyer beware. Lots of marketing talk there.

Indeed. This is where the ANSI FL-1 standard helps:

http://www.led-resource.com/ansi-fl1-standard/

Most, if not all, of the Light and Motion products are certified. If you look at their page for my headlamp (on a pc, doesn't show on mobile) they provide some comparisons the non certified lamps and what actual output is. http://www.lightandmotion.com/vis-360-plus

Archived