Bad Accident on Onewheel+

On 9/1/2017 at 12:55 AM, Demian B said:

I cringe reading of your brother's misfortune. I have a couple of Onewheels. Last summer, I was going top speed on a bumpy sidewalk and fell off injuring my wrists and a calf muscle. Ever since, I've had a hard time trusting it. I feel so much more comfortable on my Gotway EUCs. I have 1000 miles under my belt now and though I've yet to fall, I progressively wear more safety gear. I haven't researched this, but I suspect falls from a device where feet are perpendicular to direction of travel pose greater injury risk than when feet are inline with heading. I still think Onewheels are wonderous, but next to a Gotway, there's no contest. 

Reading your post almost 2 years later. And, I have to agree with that in my own similar experience, I feel safer and more comfortable on an EUC.

• 1 year later...

I was riding my pint for around the 30th time when it suddenly did a sudden stop and nosedive throwing me off. I was under the speed for it to start engaging the pushback. Just a cruising speed around 12 or 13 mph. I was on flat pavement and had plenty of battery power and wasn't riding aggressively. Just a nice cruise. I did some practice falls on grass but I had never truly fallen, and felt comfortable on it. I was loving it in fact. But when it did that sudden nosedive, it's incredibly difficult to fall gracefully or run out of it. I shattered my left elbow quite badly. I had to have 3 surgeries on it totaling well over $100,000. I broke the radius and ulna near the elbow. I had to have part of my radius sawed off and a prosthetic radial head installed. I also had to have a massive plate put on my ulna that makes my arm look disfigured. My arm will never be anywhere close to 100% and I lost a lot of my range of motion. I've been off work for 4 months now in recovery.

• 1 month later...
On 8/31/2017 at 10:25 PM, Marty Backe said:

A Speed Leaderboard does seem like they are asking for trouble. I'm glad there is no mechanism for doing the same with any of our EUCs.

The only thing worse than a Leaderboard would be one that offered a prize for the fastest rider.

Actually euc.world has 

Fast & furious

Highest average riding speed of a single tour.
  • Like 2

• 1 year later...

I didn't read all the post...but there needs to be a case action law suit of all riders that got hurt on the OW!!! They simply will not add additional equipment to help relieve such injuries!!! Personally I refuse to buy such defective item but I see many people still buying the product and still getting serious hurt...in my town, an amateur baseball player has died from head injuries riding the one wheel!!! 

Edited by MetricUSA

• 2 weeks later...

Everyone knows they are dangerous. So are regular skateboards. So are EUC’s. So are cars. Etc. Etc. Etc.

Could the answer possibly be to ride it safely, and respect the device’s limitations as opposed to suing them into bankruptcy ?

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...