Bad Accident on Onewheel+

1 hour ago, Rehab1 said:

Very serious fall! Please keep us updated!

As bad as this may sound if the aneurysm was pre-existing it might be a blessing in disguise. Prayers! 

I thought about that as well!  I'm not sure they can tell if it is recent or been around a while.  If I hear I'll let you know.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

On 9/1/2017 at 4:38 PM, Barrett Roberts said:

Turns out no aneurism after all.  So that's a positive.  

That's awesome news! 

On 9/1/2017 at 5:15 PM, Barrett Roberts said:

Yes.  They said it wasn't on the second CT scan today.  My theory was they saw a moth flying around in all that empty space and it flew out his ear during the night. 

Love your spirit! That will help immensely with your brother's recovery.  :)

7 hours ago, TremF said:

All that empty space..." ? Hmm it could also have been the Doctor in his TARDIS! He has all of space and time at his fingertips and could have mistaken your brothers head as a new unexplored galaxy?!?! 

Yes, radiologists and doctors are human. Second opinions should always considered if major surgery is being discussed. 

It sounds like @Barrett Roberts's brother is being cared for at an excellent hospital. I expect the neurosurgeon ordered a specific high resolution CAT scan that rendered the first images obsolete. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

That's awesome news! 

Love your spirit! That will help immensely with your brother's recovery.  :)

Yes, radiologists and doctors are human. Second opinions should always considered if major surgery is being discussed. 

It sounds like @Barrett Roberts's brother is being cared for at an excellent hospital. I expect the neurosurgeon ordered a specific high resolution CAT scan that rendered the first images obsolete. 

Yes he is at MCV and they are fantastic.  I'm not just saying that because I went to VCU either ?

• Upvote 2

He should be coming home home  or the next day.   Provided the lung will stay inflated.  Still has a tube sticking out of his ribs at the moment   

Shoulder most likely will need surgery to repair so that's gonna be his biggest challenge most likely.   We both lift weights so that is really going to set him back  

• Upvote 3

8 hours ago, Barrett Roberts said:

He should be coming home home  or the next day.   Provided the lung will stay inflated.  Still has a tube sticking out of his ribs at the moment   

Shoulder most likely will need surgery to repair so that's gonna be his biggest challenge most likely.   We both lift weights so that is really going to set him back  

That's good news!

Ugh...shoulder surgery. If I can ask what type of surgery is ortho considering?

On 9/4/2017 at 7:28 PM, Rehab1 said:

That's good news!

Ugh...shoulder surgery. If I can ask what type of surgery is ortho considering?

So, he had to stay a few more days after my last post.   They sent someone inexperienced to remove the chest tube.  The hole in his side made an audible sucking sound and it collapsed his lung again.   Apparently there is a process that must be followed to remove a tube and they didn't do it. 

After a few days of oxygen therapy his lung reinflated and his body absorbed the trapped air and he came home.   His side looks like he was speared.   Very mangled looking.  I'm somewhat questioning the job they did.

The ortho decided not to do the surgery.   Unfortunately the shoulder is no longer attached the clavicle so healing will be slow and painful   

Edited by Barrett Roberts
  • Upvote 3

10 minutes ago, Barrett Roberts said:

So, he had to stay a few more days after my last post.   They sent someone inexperienced to remove the chest tube.  The hole in his side made an audible sucking sound and it collapsed his lung again.   Apparently there is a process that must be followed to remove a tube and they didn't do it. 

After a few days of oxygen therapy his lung reinflated and his body absorbed the trapped air and he came home.   His side looks like he was speared.   Very mangled looking.  I'm somewhat questioning the job they did.

The ortho decided not to do the surgery.   Unfortunately the shoulder is no longer attached the clavicle so healing will be slow and painful   

OMG... so happy your brother is ok from that ordeal! Sounds like a first year resident became involved. As much as I hate lawyers it sounds like your brother has a good case! I know he is not up to laughing but tell him he'll be able to purchase a whole bunch of EUCs at the hospital's expense!

Clavicle breaks heal well but he will be in pain. Ortho will probably prescribe a figure 8 harness to help immobilze the fx site. Sorry to say weight lifting will be out of the question for a few months.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Barrett Roberts said:
On September 4, 2017 at 4:28 PM, Rehab1 said:

So, he had to stay a few more days after my last post.   They sent someone inexperienced to remove the chest tube.  The hole in his side made an audible sucking sound and it collapsed his lung again.

There is Nothing more painful than an intubation of the lung. I saw a guy on Stories from the ER had his foot dangling by a tendon, broken femur and a bash in his skull. The nurse said this is going to hurt, and the guy with all of those other injuries writhed in extreme pain as the tube was inserted to reinflate his lung.:wacko: He must be very relieved to be out of the Hospital.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Stan Onymous said:

There is Nothing more painful than an intubation of the lung. I saw a guy on Stories from the ER had his foot dangling by a tendon, broken femur and a bash in his skull. The nurse said this is going to hurt, and the guy with all of those other injuries writhed in extreme pain as the tube was inserted to reinflate his lung.:wacko: He must be very relieved to be out of the Hospital.

He told me the pain of inserting the tube was probably close to the worst thing he has ever felt.   He said he never screamed like that before.   Luckily I wasn't there for the insertion.  

• Upvote 2

Oh yeah, and the Nurse on the ER show said - this is going to hurt- I was like good luck getting that mangled guy to feel that, and yep, he felt it alright!

My Dr brother says the removal is tricky even in the best of circumstances. Its like reinflating a balloon with a new hole in it while holding the ballon under water. The entire proceedure is very intrusive and invasive. Adam Carolla speaks about the same type of clavicle injury he recieved from football. His shoulder was dislocated as well as the clavicle being broken. No stick shifts driving for a season!

• Upvote 3

On 01/09/2017 at 3:16 AM, Adel said:

The engineer in me wonders if there should be system that could engage at cutout to bring the wheel to safe stop instead of crash.

It is called tiltback. There is no need to bring the wheel to a stop though. Just limiting the speed (ideally depending on current flow and battery status) is sufficient to prevent these kinds of running-out-of-torque crashes.

23 minutes ago, Stan Onymous said:

Adam Carolla speaks about the same type of clavicle injury he recieved from football. His shoulder was dislocated as well as the clavicle being broken. No stick shifts driving for a season!

Love that guy! Smart and funny!

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Mono said:

It is called tiltback. There is no need to bring the wheel to a stop though. Just limiting the speed (ideally depending on current flow and battery status) is sufficient to prevent these kinds of running-out-of-torque crashes.

If you limit the speed, but the rider continues to accelerate, he will crash anyway. However, that might be better than a cut out.

1 hour ago, caelus said:

If you limit the speed, but the rider continues to accelerate, he will crash anyway.

It's called tiltback. The magic of tiltback is that it prevents the rider from accelerating further. That is what I meant when I wrote "limiting the speed" in the context of tiltback. I didn't mean to say that the wheel limits its speed and wouldn't possibly go faster. Yet in effect that is what happens, the rider won't go faster. It seems like magic, but it works pretty darn reliably on EUCs.

I can't speak for the Onewheel though. Thinking about it, it may work differently than on an EUC. It may in effect push the tail of the Onewheel on the street, which will prevent further acceleration as well.

Edited by Mono
  • Upvote 1

"When accelerating to a moderate speed, sometimes the back end would slowly drop but I wouldn't lose speed. Thinking this is odd and inconsistent, I try to straighten the board forward but find I would pick up speed. When leaning back again, the board wouldn't decelerate.

That's where I get freaked out because the rear of the board is close to skidding the ground and I'm going pretty fast with no way to slow down."

Source: OneWheel forum

25 minutes ago, caelus said:

"When accelerating to a moderate speed, sometimes the back end would slowly drop but I wouldn't lose speed. Thinking this is odd and inconsistent, I try to straighten the board forward but find I would pick up speed. When leaning back again, the board wouldn't decelerate.

That's where I get freaked out because the rear of the board is close to skidding the ground and I'm going pretty fast with no way to slow down."

Source: OneWheel forum

That's weird, trying to lean back and slow down but will not slow down,  Something is wrong.