Ninebot One E+ tire and tube replacement

Bob Eisenman

After 4,000 miles it was time to replace the 16 x 1.95 tire and inner tube on my Ninebot One E+

Taking off the LED ring and plastic rings was easy with deliberate unlatching of several  interlock tabs. The pedal bolt set screw came out with an hex tool and the bolt tapped out with a hammer and screw driver. The battery wiring harness, charging wire coupler and LED power connectors separated without a problem.

38069.jpg

The blue plastic tire tools are essential in getting the tire off and back on.

38071.jpg

After removing the inner tube, the opposite side of the tire was removed with the blue tire tools.

38072.jpg

38073.jpg

Putting the new tire onto the rim took some patience for the last few inches of tire to hook onto the hub.

38078.jpg

When adding air to the new tire and inner tube the position of the 'bent stem' should favor optimal external access by the Ninebot extender by positioning it before inflating the tire.

38079.jpg

Reassembly went well except for one machine screw hole position (1 of 4)  which had cracked with use. The screw was omitted from the final plastic component assembly because I dropped and lost one.? When tightening the dozen or so other attaching bolts the best results were obtained by loosely screwing all bolts into each acceptor hole and then tightening each bolt in sequence.

It's worth noting that the loss of one screw was actually a result of a complex magnetic interaction. There is a magnet which is removed from the plastic housing. It keeps the pedals up when the pedal Bolt allows free pedal hinge motion. I had attached the four screws magnetically to it to avoid losses. While moving the container (picture1) with the magnet and fasteners, the small hex key which was also in the container became forcefully attracted to the magnet. A scattering occurred in the container and when I looked again for the four 'magnetically bound screws' only three could be found. Searching the floor, etc. with a flashlight found no trace of the lost fourth screw of a set which holds a minor plastic assembly which supports the the LEDs in some way. The fourth screw is hardly missed functionally.

38081.jpg

After removing some of the extra old foam padding the tire and tube replacement was done.

38082.jpg

I took the tire replacement as an opportunity to replace the male part of the 4 pin Lemo connector which is part of the recharger unit. The soldering task was a tight job but easier than replacing the whole Lemo connector (+ wire and ground wire using only 2 of 4 Lemo connector pins) on both the Ninebot and the charger unit.

My original Lemo connector from the charger had some loose wires held in proper position with plastic zip ties and I wanted it to be replaced with a new Lemo 4 pin plug ordered from China, as described by someone on this forum.

The new tire rides great but feels very different than the flattened tread of the old tire.

50 minutes ago, Bob Eisenman said:

After 4,000 miles it was time to replace the 16 x 1.95 tire and inner tube on my Ninebot One E+

Taking off the LED ring and plastic rings was easy with deliberate unlatching of several  interlock tabs. The pedal bolt set screw came out with an hex tool and the bolt tapped out with a hammer and screw driver. The battery wiring harness, charging wire coupler and LED power connectors separated without a problem.

38069.jpg

The blue plastic tire tools are essential in getting the tire off and back on.

38071.jpg

After removing the inner tube, the opposite side of the tire was removed with the blue tire tools.

38072.jpg

38073.jpg

Putting the new tire onto the rim took some patience for the last few inches of tire to hook onto the hub.

38078.jpg

When adding air to the new tire and inner tube the position of the 'bent stem' should favor optimal external access by the Ninebot extender by positioning it before inflating the tire.

38079.jpg

Reassembly went well except for one machine screw hole position (1 of 4)  which had cracked with use. The screw was omitted from the final plastic component assembly because I dropped and lost one.? When tightening the dozen or so other attaching bolts the best results were obtained by loosely screwing all bolts into each acceptor hole and then tightening each bolt in sequence.

38081.jpg

After removing some of the extra old foam padding the tire and tube replacement was done.

38082.jpg

I took the tire replacement as an opportunity to replace the male part of the 4 pin Lemo connector which is part of the recharger unit. The soldering task was a tight job but easier than replacing the whole Lemo connector (+ wire and ground wire using only 2 of 4 Lemo connector pins) on both the Ninebot and the charger unit.

My original Lemo connector from the charger had some loose wires held in proper position with plastic zip ties and I wanted it to be replaced with a new Lemo 4 pin plug ordered from China, as described by someone on this forum.

The new tire rides great but feels very different than the flattened tread of the old tire.

Did you put 4,000 miles on the original tyre? I'm at 1,500 on my original and was planning to replace it at 2,000. I have 1/16" tread remaining.

1 hour ago, litewave said:

I'm at 1,500 on my original and was planning to replace it at 2,000. I have 1/16" tread remaining.

That sounds very safe. Good thinking.

Yep, this was the original tire which went flat last week. I should have replaced the tire at 3,000 miles or earlier.

The replacement tube is 16 x 2.125 as supplied by the Ninebot seller (HoodRiderz). 

A typical replacement tube description for a 16 x 1.95 tire

with a 16 x 2.125 tube is shown below.

(I've read that the 16 x 2.125 tubes have a Gotway tire compatibility but this size tube is also used with 16 x 1.95 Ninebot tires)

38113.png

31 minutes ago, Bob Eisenman said:

That sounds very safe. Good thinking.

Yep, this was the original tire which went flat last week. I should have replaced the tire at 3,000 miles or earlier.

The replacement tube is 16 x 2.125 as supplied by the Ninebot seller (HoodRiderz). 

A typical replacement tube description for a 16 x 1.95 tire

with a 16 x 2.125 tube is shown below.

(I've read that the 16 x 2.125 tubes have a Gotway tire compatibility but this size tube is also used with 16 x 1.95 Ninebot tires)

4,000 miles on the original - amazing, and living a little dangerously, eh? Did you put slime or other sealant into the tyre? I haven't.

Thanks for the tube and tyre suggestions, but I bought two original sets a short while ago when I stocked up on OEM parts from a discount supplier.

ps: I'm guessing you have had your Ninebot less than two years. Do you have spare batteries that you carry when you ride like I do? Given Massachusetts' winter weather and rain, how did you rack up 4,000 miles given the wheel's limited range per charge, and the limited number of days per year to ride?

25 minutes ago, litewave said:

Did you put slime or other sealant into the tyre? I haven't.

I replaced the stem valve on the old tube with a 'Slime' stem valve for reasons related to 'suspected leaking air' in an otherwise good tube. The thought of using Slime liquid came to mind but the mess to the surroundings via the stem or hole in the tire changed my mind. I've recently replaced the stem valve on the brass extender. There is a Slime hand tool which clicks past the correct torque when installing a new stem valve. 

Considering that I broke an arm while winter riding in March your tire replacement criteria (mileage) makes perfect sense and my lack of a tire replacement until 4,000 miles seems irresponsible to the innocent rider-reader.

51 minutes ago, litewave said:

I'm guessing you have had your Ninebot less than two years. Do you have spare batteries that you carry when you ride like I do? Given Massachusetts' winter weather and rain, how did you rack up 4,000 miles given the wheel's limited range per charge, and the limited number of days per year to ride?

I posted my rider log for the first 200 or so rides on the bot which I purchased in June 2016. 

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B07we0osMR1zc1dhaTZfVTd4Q2c

Being sort of retired and not looking for work at that time allowed frequent rides while others were desk or work bound. Primary use of the bot was grocery shopping without taking the bus, and bike trail exploration a couple of town away. A couple of  Malls with charging stations and a few coffee vendors with AC outlets for laptop types of use were routinely used without asking (Starbucks, Dunkin, Panera Bread). I would recommend buying a longer range bot (ACM , etc) since battery swap mods didn't really interested me.

Public reactions to my more active riding days were often fickle with respect to passing vehicle comments, infrequent (one specific town) cop monitoring, certain comments from pedestrians and sometimes blaring horn blasts from vehicles reacting to non bicycle like use of the roads.

Even tonight, after tire replacement, two locals became aggressively interested on the first few miles of about 15 miles planned. A group of kids , I'm over 60, aged in their teens were emphatic that I stop to talk with them. Passing towards the space between two of them, they closed the space in an attempt to halt my ride. Passing through the narrower space one of the kids put his hands (lightly) on my arm before I passed through, intent on learning the balance of my new tire ride. In a second incident, a maternal looking figure asserted that I stop and 'answer questions' before I rolled past her and a friend.

I remember a long while ago while rolling down a hill when a woman raised her voice at my progress while still tens of feet from her. She looked at me and said 'excuse me, there's something I have to ask you'. When  I passed her by she said 'no???' There are many riders in the forum who have a more public interactive nature than I. 

It's a double edged sword to not interact. Some days you risk paying the price of being perceived as rude and detached from the rest of the world's transit styles.

Packing in the miles can leave my legs feeling unusual from road vibrations and bumps. Walking for a bit restores that normal leg feeling.

Maybe you'll benefit from my riding the rough spots video.

A couple of decades ago nephew hiked the AT trail from Georgia to Maine. I was working in a prestigious lab at the time, thinking I was setting a good example. His last words before he left was a request from family members for cookies or something. Decades went by after he completed the AT trail during his college years at Middlebury following four years at Deerfield Academy.

When it became apparent last year that I could put thousands of miles on the Ninebot I thought my rolling distance might become a kind of non-similar Uncle's chide to his AT reputation. The opposite reaction (never mentions it) has occurred as he puts his nose to the grindstone of career and parenting (3kids).

It's good that I actually enjoy riding the EUC, rather than using it to bother someone who is a distinguished AT'er.

30 minutes ago, Bob Eisenman said:

Last but not least....after dumping my bag of tire inflation tools out, in preparation for an inflation check, the lost screw mentioned in the initial post dropped out of the bag.

38489.jpg

38498.jpg

38500.jpg

38501.jpg

Done !?

Great step by step photos!  Glad you found the last screw.  If I ever change my tire, I'll get that wider one that you got.

3 hours ago, steve454 said:

Great step by step photos!  

During several years of teaching kids with learning issues I was told to be as kinaesthetic (use modalities of learning like visual, sensory, audio, text) as possible. Many 'normal learners' find the excess detail to be personally offensive. Once used to expressing the step by step methodology of teaching it becomes a habit for the greater good.

1 hour ago, Bob Eisenman said:

Boston drydock with ship.?

38639.jpg

Pretty sure that is the drydock my ship was in, don't remember exact year, early to mid 80's.  USS Mcinerney FFG-8.  

If I remember correctly, turning left I could walk a fairly short distance to a bar.  One time the pay phone rang, and since I was nearest, I answered.  Someone asked what is the number there.  I said hold on, walked outside and got the street address, told the person on the phone.  I mentioned it to the bartender who told me they were actually asking about some gambling number.

Archived