Question from noob

tcadaniel

Hello all,

I have a question.  I enjoy traveling. When I'm in another city I typically end up walking a lot!  I'll use pedicabs and taxis but they are very expensive.  So recently while in New Orleans I had the idea that if I could bring something with me as a carry on or checked bag that could transport me it would be awesome.  Since I can't check a Honda Rukus(my first choice) or a scooter I started looking at Solowheels.  That lead me to many other competing companies.  So, my question is, what is a good electric vehicle that I can take on vacations.  My top choices so far are: airboard 1.0, Solowheel, Ninebot, airwheel Q1,Q5 or Q3.  Just so you know, this is my first product of this type and I don't want something slow and lame.

Thanks in advance!!!!

Dan

Your main constraint will be battery size, see e.g. 

https://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/headquarters_offices/ash/ash_programs/hazmat/passenger_info/media/faa_airline_passengers_and_batteries.pdf

This document seems to suggest that you can carry any number of batteries up to 100Wh, and two 160Wh batteries with you (the swappable batteries from KingSong/Milbay seem to have 174Wh). Regulations might change quickly and it likely depends on the air line. There have been other threads around this in this forum already.

Your main constraint will be battery size, see e.g. 

https://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/headquarters_offices/ash/ash_programs/hazmat/passenger_info/media/faa_airline_passengers_and_batteries.pdf

This document seems to suggest that you can carry any number of batteries up to 100Wh, and two 160Wh batteries with you. Regulations might change quickly and it likely depends on the air line. There have been other threads around this in this forum already. 

I thought about this.  Solowheel advertises that you can carry on their product.  I wonder how an airline security scanner would actually know one battery from the next?  My guess is it depends on the person.  Do most products list the battery size on the outside of the product?

King Song will be using different battery cells (the Samsung 25Rs) in their swappable KS14-A, which will be very near the 160Wh limit. This makes it a very compelling travel Wheel, as you can carry one battery pack in the eWheel & another as a carry-on spare. 

Hi Dan,

I recently posted quite a bit about taking my Solowheel Xtreme on the plane to Europe; Biggest constraint is to get a <=160Wh battery. (you can take two in carry-on in general). With regard to security, read this post:

Basically, a wheel looks scary in security and depending on their mood you may get questions; make sure the battery is charged and that you can demonstrate that the wheel is functional. (This is similar to laptops where sometimes you need to turn it on).

@cg

Thank you CG, for the glowing recommendation ;). I love being mentioned on the forums in as honest a manner as possible. ElectricUnicycleReviews.com isn't the biggest, baddest store around yet, I know, and that can be perceived as good or bad.

@tcadaniel

Hello Daniel! To be a bit spammy (moderators, please do keep me in check):

At your leisure, I am happy to help. Whether or not today is the day, I love conversing about this wonderful technology and am always excited to help folks choose the best model to suit their needs, whether it ends up being from us or elsewhere. Anyone is welcome to private message me here on the forums or email me any time at: email@electricunicyclereviews.com

I love my King Song 14"; it's my main ride right now and the favorite to date in our arsenal. There will be another update to the review in the coming week. Link:

King Song KS-14C 520wh 14" self balancing electric unicycle review

OK guys!

I talked to Will today from electricunicycleereviews.  He is super easy to deal with and helped a lot.  I ended up ordering a ninebot one from him.  I should have it in a few days.  I'll report back once I get to try it out.  

-Dan

Archived