Honeymoon over, general rules?

CaptainKBLS

So my EUC honeymoon is over.  I've been enjoy riding without any concerns.  But that's over!  I'm starting to get worried about where to ride.

What's the general rules for:

Street - same rule as bicycle?  Ok except highway? Now, I'm starting think since I'm on the street, I need insurance and license because it's motorized?

Parks - I took the wheel and rode while the kids rode their bikes at Burke Lake Park (rode on trails around the lake).  On the 3rd trip by myself I finally saw a sign that said no motorized vehicle with a picture of a golf cart.  I went home and check the Burke Lake Park website and sure enough it said no motorized vehicle on trails.  So assume most parks will not allow motorized vehicle? except on streets?

Sidewalks - mostly no but I have to use it if the street seem scary as cars go fast.  Had a handicap lady on wheelchair told me it's not allow.  I had already completely stopped and moved off the sidewalk but I guess some people had to exert any power to make themselves feel better.

Trails - where bikes are allowed doesn't mean motorized vehicle is allowed like the C&O canal, I can't really tell.  I don't want to get in trouble but it's hard to know the rules.

Super super individualized according to your own particular state, county, city, etc.

Parks, too:  Some are federal, some state, some owned by a county and some by a city.  BLM land has its own rules, and the rules in your state or local parks may be different from each other.  

From the horror stories you read around here once in a while, it will pay to do your research, because some of the tickets can be very punitive.

I'm still thinking of taking my EUC down to the police station once I get good enough to ride on it that I can show them how it works, and getting their input on how I should handle it around town.  And doing the same thing at our local Parks Commission.  

I realize chit-chat won't supersede the laws should anyone decide to enforce them, but I figure it might go easier on me if some of the people who might ticket me aren't completely startled the first time they see a EUC in my town.  I'd rather have them well-disposed toward me and understanding that I did do something in the way of doing my part to do things the right way.

First, though, I've got to get good enough that I don't look like a menace to myself and others.  

18 hours ago, CaptainKBLS said:

So my EUC honeymoon is over.  I've been enjoy riding without any concerns.  But that's over!  I'm starting to get worried about where to ride.

Street - same rule as bicycle?  Ok except highway? Now, I'm starting think since I'm on the street, I need insurance and license because it's motorized?

Parks - I took the wheel and rode while the kids rode their bikes at Burke Lake Park (rode on trails around the lake).  On the 3rd trip by myself I finally saw a sign that said no motorized vehicle with a picture of a golf cart.  I went home and check the Burke Lake Park website and sure enough it said no motorized vehicle on trails.  So assume most parks will not allow motorized vehicle? except on streets?

Sidewalks - mostly no but I have to use it if the street seem scary as cars go fast.  Had a handicap lady on wheelchair told me it's not allow.  I had already completely stopped and moved off the sidewalk but I guess some people had to exert any power to make themselves feel better.

Trails - where bikes are allowed doesn't mean motorized vehicle is allowed like the C&O canal, I can't really tell.  I don't want to get in trouble but it's hard to know the rules.

Realize that a "motorized vehicle" generally refers to a transportation vehicle that can carry multiple people, etc. There is a legal definition (Google it) and the EUC does not meet the definition. Neither does an electric skateboard or electric bicycle even though they have motors.

I really wouldn't worry about it unless you are confronted by the police.

You wont ride anywhere if you are going to need a priori proof that they are allowed where you want to ride.

In California I ride my EUC on streets, sidewalks, canals, local/state/federal park trails, everywhere. I can count a handful of places where I've been asked not to ride.

13 hours ago, Dingfelder said:

I'm still thinking of taking my EUC down to the police station once I get good enough to ride on it that I can show them how it works, and getting their input on how I should handle it around town.  And doing the same thing at our local Parks Commission.  

I realize chit-chat won't supersede the laws should anyone decide to enforce them, but I figure it might go easier on me if some of the people who might ticket me aren't completely startled the first time they see a EUC in my town.  I'd rather have them well-disposed toward me and understanding that I did do something in the way of doing my part to do things the right way.

First, though, I've got to get good enough that I don't look like a menace to myself and others.  

I understand your desire to be upfront with the authorities, but man, that is the last thing I would do. If you ask a fireman for advice on how to protect your house you'll get endless directions on what to modify, because that's what they do. Ask the police and they could potentially dig and find all kinds of reasons that you shouldn't be riding where you want to.

And if you insist on doing this, wait until you are extremely good with riding. You should look like a pro so you make the whole experience look effortless and absolutely controlled. You can do slow speed circles around a person, almost balance while stopped, etc.

Good luck

19 hours ago, CaptainKBLS said:

As others have said, the only general rule is that there are no general rules. You've got to do your homework on your local area.

You're in Virginia, right? You're lucky in that at least VA has a legal framework that you almost fit into: electric personal assistive mobility devices (EPAMD). You technically need two non-tandem wheels (i.e., a Segway), but it's so close that I'd use the EPAMD laws to guide your decisions (and advocate for yourself with any chippy police officers, if necessary).

So start by becoming very familiar with VA's EPAMD laws, like this one: § 46.2-905. Riding bicycles, electric personal assistive mobility devices, electric power-assisted bicycles, and mopeds on roadways and bicycle paths. On quick glance, it looks pretty permissive, which is good news--you're generally allowed to go wherever bicycles can (where the state has jurisdiction). On the latter note, your next step should be to read your city or town's ordinances to see if they establish any different local rules.

Regarding "No motorized vehicles" signs... ehh, it's a judgment call. On the one hand, you know the purpose is to exclude things like dirt bikes, ATVs, snowmobiles: vehicles that are noisy, dirty, and hazardous to bystanders. A EUC (operated responsibly) is none of those things, and you do have some legal cover, so the chances of getting in real trouble are probably small. But on the other hand, there are always the perpetually grumpy folks who will see you as a "rule-breaker" and may make nasty comments or even raise a fuss. It's up to you to decide whether that's enough to make you want to avoid these kinds of trails. 

3 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

<snip>

Ask the police and they could potentially dig and find all kinds of reasons that you shouldn't be riding where you want to.

<snip>

Exactly. Sometimes it's easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission.

On 7/4/2017 at 3:19 PM, Dingfelder said:

14 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

I understand your desire to be upfront with the authorities, but man, that is the last thing I would do. If you ask a fireman for advice on how to protect your house you'll get endless directions on what to modify, because that's what they do. Ask the police and they could potentially dig and find all kinds of reasons that you shouldn't be riding where you want to.

And if you insist on doing this, wait until you are extremely good with riding. You should look like a pro so you make the whole experience look effortless and absolutely controlled. You can do slow speed circles around a person, almost balance while stopped, etc.

Good luck

Over here, EUC are still a grey area... Before I got my first wheel, I asked at the police station - When they realised it was "like a Segway" they told me to consider it as a mobility scooter.

Since then, as I work next door, I deliberately commute past the police station every day - the more exposure they have (here in NZ) the better.

Having said that, do consider the legal aspect before doing similar.

Archived