Wobbling sensation on v5f+......feature or issue?

Paddylaz

Just now, Keith said:

Whilst leg strength is clearly part of the problem I do not believe it is the only explanation. I think a part of the problem is also leg positioning. Many beginners tend to position their feet so there is equal overhang back and front of the peddles, that is actually slightly too far back and means the user has to lean forward too much so as to compensate for their position. That also can set up wobbling. As users become more proficient, then their foot positioning and stance also improve as well as their leg strength and all those things (IMHO) have an impact on wobbling reducing.

That was my theory initially as well.. but as stated, the wobble went away, and no amount of playing with foot positioning ever made it occur. 

I noticed that wobbling when I try to ride crouched too fast for long time. As many other said that is caused because the stress in the legs become in involuntary shakes making impossible keep the wheel straight. Increased by the uncomfortable posture.

You only need some relax before continue and the problem goes away. If happen again try to change ride position to one more comfortable.   Maybe the cold, your diet, also vitamins and minerals help to keep balance, our bodies may be affected by a lot of variants. 

27 minutes ago, esaj said:

While this probably usually is true, Paddylaz has been riding for what, two years? And probably is way past 1000km on his V8 V5f+...

Yes,  @esaj you are right, I'd forgotten the original post by @Paddylaz.

However, unless something like a bent axle has occurred, or, as suggested above the tyre tread pattern is having an effect, there is nothing else on the wheels mechanical or electrical geometry that should be capable of inducing a sideways movement.

What we do know about the Inmotion range is that their peddles, and hence CofG is higher than most, if not all, other wheels. That should mean that any of the known causes of wobblying are more likely to occur on the v5 or V8. Possibly all it takes to appear to happen when the battery is lower is that the speed is slightly lower and holds a harmonic point long enough to for it to amplify or even that slightly more lean is used as acceleration has reduced very slightly due to the lower voltage?

You certainly can get into a sort of pilot induced oscillation on any of these wheels if, just like on a plane, your corrections get exactly out of phase with the event. I hadn't had any sort of wobbles for more than a year on my KS-14C until I rode along a very wet and muddy track and my wheel started to oscillate sideways like I was doing the twist, I managed to reach and grab the fence at the side of the track JUST before I was thrown face first into the mud.

4 hours ago, Keith said:

Yes,  @esaj you are right, I'd forgotten the original post by @Paddylaz.

However, unless something like a bent axle has occurred, or, as suggested above the tyre tread pattern is having an effect, there is nothing else on the wheels mechanical or electrical geometry that should be capable of inducing a sideways movement.

What we do know about the Inmotion range is that their peddles, and hence CofG is higher than most, if not all, other wheels. That should mean that any of the known causes of wobblying are more likely to occur on the v5 or V8. Possibly all it takes to appear to happen when the battery is lower is that the speed is slightly lower and holds a harmonic point long enough to for it to amplify or even that slightly more lean is used as acceleration has reduced very slightly due to the lower voltage?

You certainly can get into a sort of pilot induced oscillation on any of these wheels if, just like on a plane, your corrections get exactly out of phase with the event. I hadn't had any sort of wobbles for more than a year on my KS-14C until I rode along a very wet and muddy track and my wheel started to oscillate sideways like I was doing the twist, I managed to reach and grab the fence at the side of the track JUST before I was thrown face first into the mud.

Still convinced it's something algorithmic (is that an adjective?)

It comes on too suddenly, and too pronounced to be any of the previous peoples' suggestions (tiredness, planetary alignment, demonic possession, Putin, etc etc).

Something related to a combination of battery level and perhaps how hard/dynamically you're pushing the wheel (intense starts & stops for instance). Maybe it's a deliberate oscillation to stall you while the voltage drops to safer levels or something. Who knows.

Could be Putin though. I will have a Priest bless my wheel just to rule out any foul play....

Fatigue...I don't know, I have never had a "death wobble", but the wobbles on my V8 just don't go away, even after 2000km. The good news is that they lost the ability to scare me. I even start to enjoy them from time to time.

5 hours ago, Mono said:

Fatigue...I don't know, I have never had a "death wobble", but the wobbles on my V8 just don't go away, even after 2000km. The good news is that they lost the ability to scare me. I even start to enjoy them from time to time.

Well.. I've had my eye on the V8 as my next upgrade.. but if the suffer the wobbles more than other wheels as you suggest.. maybe I will look elsewhere.  

5 hours ago, GoinPostal said:

Well.. I've had my eye on the V8 as my next upgrade.. but if the suffer the wobbles more than other wheels as you suggest.. maybe I will look elsewhere.  

For my use case, I wouldn't actually know any superior alternative on the market, so at this very point in time I would buy it again immediately. Riding control is stiff and excellent, it's comparatively light and thin. If I had the choice, I wouldn't even know whether I wanted rather be able to fit a 16x2.5 tire (instead of 16x2.125) or the wobble go away, if I would have to chose between these two.

On 6/18/2017 at 4:29 AM, Mono said:

For my use case, I wouldn't actually know any superior alternative on the market, so at this very point in time I would buy it again immediately. Riding control is stiff and excellent, it's comparatively light and thin. If I had the choice, I wouldn't even know whether I wanted rather be able to fit a 16x2.5 tire (instead of 16x2.125) or the wobble go away, if I would have to chose between these two.

Thanks for the response Mono. It's helpful. The Gotways obviously win for distance and speed, but such crap quality! I really don't want to waste money on another.  I also talked to gliderrider. He has 400 miles on his V8 and has NEVER experienced the wobble.  So far, the V8 still leads in the quest to my next upgrade. 

3 hours ago, GoinPostal said:

Thanks for the response Mono. It's helpful. The Gotways obviously win for distance and speed, but such crap quality! I really don't want to waste money on another.  I also talked to gliderrider. He has 400 miles on his V8 and has NEVER experienced the wobble.  So far, the V8 still leads in the quest to my next upgrade. 

I love the V8.  The range is the only issue for me.  The speed is enough and I rarely hit tiltback.  I ended up getting a new ACM and am pasing the V8 onto my son.  Once I ride the ACM I'll be able to provide feedback on the quality issues etc, but for me it was the range that really pulled me in that direction.  I think that the quality of the V8 is fantastic and I'd highly recommend it as long as a range of 10-15 miles works for you (depending on weight, speed, terrain etc.).

47 minutes ago, Maximus said:

I love the V8.  The range is the only issue for me.  The speed is enough and I rarely hit tiltback.  I ended up getting a new ACM and am pasing the V8 onto my son.  Once I ride the ACM I'll be able to provide feedback on the quality issues etc, but for me it was the range that really pulled me in that direction.  I think that the quality of the V8 is fantastic and I'd highly recommend it as long as a range of 10-15 miles works for you (depending on weight, speed, terrain etc.).

can I ask how much you weigh?

7 minutes ago, Paddylaz said:

can I ask how much you weigh?

No problem, I fluctuate between 180-190lbs, depending on the season :)  .  I charge my EUC battery to 90% with a Charge Doctor and I ride until about 20-30%.  My speed is typically around 10-12mph and my tire pressure is about 50psi, so my 10-15 mile range is a rough estimate. Oh and my terrain has some steep parts (~1/4 mile down hill to start, ~1/4 mile uphill to finish, when leaving from home).  Hope that helps!

6 minutes ago, Maximus said:

No problem, I fluctuate between 180-190lbs, depending on the season :)  .  I charge my EUC battery to 90% with a Charge Doctor and I ride until about 20-30%.  My speed is typically around 10-12mph and my tire pressure is about 50psi, so my 10-15 mile range is a rough estimate. Oh and my terrain has some steep parts (~1/4 mile down hill to start, ~1/4 mile uphill to finish, when leaving from home).  Hope that helps!

Cheers mate!

Always good to proceed with caution when asking anyone (even guys) that question.....

Looking to trade in my v5f+ for the v8. I'm aware there will realistically be a small to moderate range sacrifice. I'm a skinny 69kg but have still become far too accustomed to the luxurious range on my wheel. A trade down is not ideal but I neeeeeed that extra 5kph ?

5 minutes ago, Paddylaz said:

I'm aware there will realistically be a small to moderate range sacrifice.

I'd be surprised if you see much difference in range between the V5F+ and the V8.  If you decide to get a V8 I'd love to hear if you notice a difference (in range).  The extra speed of the V8 is perfect though.  Maybe I'll change my tune once I get my ACM, but I don't see riding much above 18mph...particularly for me, where I ride so much with my kids, who will be limited by their machines (V5F and V8), so riding faster than that kinda defeats the point of riding "together"...just my $.02.  Good luck!

7 minutes ago, Maximus said:

I'd be surprised if you see much difference in range between the V5F+ and the V8.  If you decide to get a V8 I'd love to hear if you notice a difference (in range).  The extra speed of the V8 is perfect though.  Maybe I'll change my tune once I get my ACM, but I don't see riding much above 18mph...particularly for me, where I ride so much with my kids, who will be limited by their machines (V5F and V8), so riding faster than that kinda defeats the point of riding "together"...just my $.02.  Good luck!

??

On 6/20/2017 at 10:57 AM, Maximus said:

Thanks Maximus! Totally agree on the strength of the V8 build quality, and that it's Achilles is the range.  InMotion needs to fix that! Since my last post though, KingSong has come out with the ks16S.

16 inch wheel, 1200 Watt motor, 35 mile range! By far better build quality than Gotway.. so for now.. that's my contender..

On 6/20/2017 at 0:00 PM, Paddylaz said:

Cheers mate!

Always good to proceed with caution when asking anyone (even guys) that question.....

Looking to trade in my v5f+ for the v8. I'm aware there will realistically be a small to moderate range sacrifice. I'm a skinny 69kg but have still become far too accustomed to the luxurious range on my wheel. A trade down is not ideal but I neeeeeed that extra 5kph ?

Have you seen the new kingsong ks16S?

1200 watt motor, 22 mph, 35 mile range!

1 hour ago, GoinPostal said:

Thanks Maximus! Totally agree on the strength of the V8 build quality, and that it's Achilles is the range.  InMotion needs to fix that! Since my last post though, KingSong has come out with the ks16S.

16 inch wheel, 1200 Watt motor, 35 mile range! By far better build quality than Gotway.. so for now.. that's my contender..

No arguments here.  I think that wheel is a winner!  Hoping to have my hands on one soon :thumbup:

2 hours ago, GoinPostal said:

Have you seen the new kingsong ks16S?

1200 watt motor, 22 mph, 35 mile range!

The 14s has caught my eye.......im waiting for someone to get their hands on one and give a review!

2 hours ago, Paddylaz said:

The 14s has caught my eye.......im waiting for someone to get their hands on one and give a review!

I thought you were looking to move to a larger wheel?  Weren't you talking about the V8 as a possible "next wheel"?  Just curious why you'd be more interested in a 14S than a 16S?

4 minutes ago, Maximus said:

I thought you were looking to move to a larger wheel?  Weren't you talking about the V8 as a possible "next wheel"?  Just curious why you'd be more interested in a 14S than a 16S?

The size is irrelevant to me. 14 or 16 are both reasonable.

I don't find the 16s very attractive, 14d looks slicker, and the 14s even better given the larger battery.

18 minutes ago, Paddylaz said:

I don't find the 16s very attractive

Really?  Man, I love the silver one...also, after hearing about how wide the 14S is going to be, I can't imagine that you'd like the contrast between your V5F+ and the superwide 14S...but who knows :confused1:

44 minutes ago, Maximus said:

38 minutes ago, Paddylaz said:

The size is irrelevant to me. 14 or 16 are both reasonable.

I don't find the 16s very attractive, 14d looks slicker, and the 14s even better given the larger battery.

Size doesn't matter - it's the Speeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeed wot matters ??

Archived