Lithium-Ion Shipping and Travel Regulations: What You Need to Know

Chris Westland

Problem is, generalized rules are useless, everyone has their own specific rules. If they even follow them.

For example, the article states to put Li-Ion-Batteries into your carry-on luggage (as opposed to checked-in luggage) but the recent "every electric device bigger than a phone" ban on US flights required people to put their Laptops etc into checked-in luggage.

Specific experiences on the other hand, worth their weigh in gold.

Ever since reading about that Florida everglades crashed that happened, I think 25 years back, I think keeping big ol' lithium batteries out of airplanes is a good thing. That being said, I wish they made an exception just for me.

There are two trips this year that I plan to take, and I have been gathering some data about it.

1st trip: from the Midwest to the West coast. Cost of a clearly labeled package denoting "dangerous goods" seems to be about $80 one way according to UPS, and must be shipped ground.

2nd trip: from the Midwest to Berlin, Germany. I haven't gotten information back on this one, but presumably it'll require a combination of shipping by ground transport and by ship. Other shippers directly from the EUC manufacturers state a cost of $200-$300 from China to Europe (that seems a lot).

Any experiences you guys have would be greatly appreciated.

Archived