my Ninebot One E is ill ...

Blunzn

not sure when it exactly started ... i updated to 1.2.2 and was training to balance on the stand with front/back movements ...

now since a few days my 9b1 E sounds like this -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flQxg27Egyw

the noise comes only when changing directions with medium/high acceleration, not during slow direction changes or while riding ... atm ...

i have about 80km on the wheel with one medium speed crash, other than that just a few low speed fall-overs in the beginning.

changing riding mode from 0 (my prefered setting) to 9 did not help, neither did resetting the sensors.

anybody had similar problems ? not sure if its a loose hall sensor/magnet inside the motor or just some other issue.

thx

If it only comes when changing direction, it sounds like something's moving around inside (ie. it continues in the previous direction after you change the direction and hits something). Loose things inside the motor probably should make noise all the time when the tire's turning, so probably something else. Can you contact the reseller and ask them for instructions? Does the warranty let you open the covers without voiding it, to see what's going on?

its a standard ninebot warranty, i'll try to reach the main reseller on monday.

there seem to be no loose parts between cover and motor/tire, so its probably something inside ...

its definitly not the battery, i tried my second battery with fits much firmer.

Is it a rattling sound of something loose, or more like a creaking of two plastic parts rubbing against each other? I am wondering if the case is flexing and making something like the light rings "tick" as they move.

its not a rattling or squeaking sound, just a metalic click when you change direction with some momentum. sounds more like metal or magnets rearanging or bumbing together, not like plastic.

i removed the LED, outer cover-ring, pads and the bolts of the pedals. does not matter which side i put my weight on, neither does standing loose or squeezing the calves together change the sound.

i didnt ride it outside the last 2 weeks, cause i had back pain. so i focused mostly on going slow inside, getting better balance, doing slow slalom, learned 180° turns and tried balancing with forth/back movements. so no crashes that suddenly ruined something ...

is it possible to downgrade the firmware back to 1.2.0 firmware ? i didnt had the problems before upgrading 

Difficult to be sure from the video but as it's such a click on direction change I would suspect that the wheel nuts may have loosened a little so that the split clamping shim/washer beneath them is allowing the axle to move a little.

Not heard of a loose nut problem on a bot before though, it's more a feature of IPS and Gotway. If you check and find the nuts have loosened of a bit I suggest you remove them completely, clean the threads and refit with a little Locktite to prevent them loosening off again.

the axle & nuts were my first thought too, but hard to check ... and no clue how the split clamping would open without video/photo guide.

all i found was speedyfeets video and this indian photo quide of a tear down ( http://blog.makeystreet.com/ninebot-one-tear-down-to-fix-a-puncture ) which was quite interesting (dust on the mainboard, notches an the battery) but they dont even go as far as to open these nuts.

as the wheel is still on warranty i better dont fudge around ... next week the E+ should arrive, after a customs problem, so maybe i'm lucky and there is some sort of upgrade possibility ...

• 2 weeks later...

I would recommend to dismantle the wheel and carefully inspect the parts. Then reassemble. The internals are quite simple so it shouldn't be a problem to find out the reason for this knocking sound.

Hello Blunzn,

Did you get some information from your reseller?

We are in France and selling some Ninebot One E and E+. Please have a look of this video, we are changing the tube but you could see how to open and close a Ninebot One

If you have any question, please let me know.

i looked at the axle, but the nuts seem to be steady as a rock. 

the ninebot axle nut is additionaly secured with 2 metal blocks - 4th picture from the top - http://blog.makeystreet.com/ninebot-one-tear-down-to-fix-a-puncture and you see it also on the Speedyfeet tear down video.

from the 2 bolts securing the pedals, one felt a bit "looser". not really loose but one was way easier to remove (without a hammer). so it is probably just the pedal. 

I see. They have a tab washer to stop the nuts from loosening off. That's a good idea but even those can loosen if the tabs aren't bent up enough to secure the nut.

• 2 weeks later...

got my old 9b1 E back from my little brother for the weekend. the pedalsound is still there but did not get worse. its quite battered up from crashes and jumping, but rides on like a champ. Besides the handle it really seems like a tank. ;) 

Archived