Sufficient flapping achieved

Smoother

So after climbing a mountain twice this morning I put Lassie on charge and went ocean side riding in the afternoon.  On my way home, aware that my battery was down below 50% I was keeping it gentle; no sudden current spikes to trip the low current protection (also know as "get the fock off me you pig")

Approaching a (estimated) 4* up, bike ramp about 20m long, I decided to try something ( what could possibly go wrong, right?). Theory; maintain my approx. 20 kph speed onto the ramp, and then bleed my speed off so as to not spike current demand.  WRONG!! Lassie got there before me and decided to invoke "get the hell off me you pig" and off I went, up the ramp "a pied" while Lassie crashed out and went into the usual death throws.  Apparently, I managed to flap sufficiently, because I didn't FP.  But I was wearing my ATGATT,  so, it's all good.

MORAL OF THE STORY: DON'T DISRESPECT POTENTIAL LOW BATTERY POWER SPIKE SHUTDOWNS, THEY BITE.

1 hour ago, Smoother said:

Theory; maintain my approx. 20 kph speed onto the ramp, and then bleed my speed off so as to not spike current demand.

Interesting. That sounded like it would work!

What brand of EUC is "Lassie?"

Yes it's a great theory.  It's the practice that sucked, a bit like juggling hand granades, you don't get a do over it it fails the first time.  Too many variables, mostly unknown  and only my old meat 1.0 computer to crunch the numbers.  As someone said recently about the NInebot crash test data, it's a knife edge.  On one side, you're  fine, on the other you're not.  I was not.

ks14c 340wh. It's my own fault; respect the limitations of your machine or be prepared to flap furiously.

51 minutes ago, HermanTheGerman said:

Looks like the stronger battery really makes such a difference.

Indeed.  After all 40% of nothing is nothing, and on a 340wh battery, that's pretty much what you have in reserve.  Now to be fair, I was aware of the dangers of over demands on my pack, and I did ride home just fine after that, without spiking the current draw. 340wh was all I was willing to pay, for an actively I didn't even know if I would like, having never even been close to a wheel.

On 12/10/2016 at 1:23 PM, Smoother said:

Theory; maintain my approx. 20 kph speed onto the ramp, and then bleed my speed off so as to not spike current demand.

That's two-wheel thinking right there, we've all coasted up a hill after picking up speed on a bike and it works great there. However, an EUC needs torque to keep you upright at all times. Maximum torque happens at the lowest speed. So when you hit a ramp at any speed the wheel is spending quite a bit of torque to keep you upright and "climb" the ramp. The higher the speed, the less available torque. If there's not enough torque, the wheel will let you fall forwards or backwards.

Archived