Swiss Meetup

manuelz

Funny to see always the discussions on the switzerland changes. The EU is very clear stated in the CH regulations. Even if there's a 500 W EU it's not a Leicht-MoFa and also not a FÄG (human powered (skaters, kick scooter)).

An EU is a sell balanced one wheel vehicle. So it needs typisation (done by the distributor) who hands out the vehicle papers. This is an very expensive (15-20k CHF) way to get the approval.

I am going to take my wheel to Lausanne soon -- do I need to worry about the police? From the discussion here it seem s the current rule is that I need to stay on bike-lanes (if possible) and that it is not legal to ride on pedestrian lanes.

The Sempachersee Slow Up is coming up on Aug 23 and it runs right past my apartment.  From the front page it looks like most EUCs should fall under the max specs for Ebikes.  I emailed the organizers, but no reply yet.  I am thinking of riding in it.  Anyone else interested?  The whole path looks like 24km, which might be just out of range.  I've never pushed my NB1 to the max so I don't know.  We could use my apartment as a recharge station if needed.

http://www.slowup-sempachersee.ch/

Anyone interested?

I am going to take my wheel to Lausanne soon -- do I need to worry about the police? From the discussion here it seem s the current rule is that I need to stay on bike-lanes (if possible) and that it is not legal to ride on pedestrian lanes.

If you got a engine below 500watts (nominal) you should be good, just stay on the side of the road or bike lane, not on the pedestrian sidewalk. Wherever Bikes are allowed you are too. Your EUC comes with lighting (front and back)? if not, its good to have your detachable lights with you, just in case. Theoretically you should have sort of a bell to warn pedestrians too, but if they insist on that, thats just harassment of foreigners that dont understand french (in lausanne at least). Also road-racing bikes dont need such a bell (its heavy y'know) so that point is very debatable, I think you can risk going without a finger-bell or similar.

The Sempachersee Slow Up is coming up on Aug 23 and it runs right past my apartment.  From the front page it looks like most EUCs should fall under the max specs for Ebikes.  I emailed the organizers, but no reply yet.  I am thinking of riding in it.  Anyone else interested?  The whole path looks like 24km, which might be just out of range.  I've never pushed my NB1 to the max so I don't know.  We could use my apartment as a recharge station if needed.

http://www.slowup-sempachersee.ch/

Anyone interested?

Interested yes, but on that Weekend I am away in the Netherlands, with my bot of course...

@Jag_Rip: Great -- thanks for the info. I guess it will be allright B)  Allthough, the motor is rated at 1800W (!). However, I guess these caps in the law do not make sense and were meant for electric bicycles where wattage is used for speed. On a EUC all the power is mostly used just for balancing. Ah well.

the nominal power is used, not the max. My 9B1 claims to have max 2000W but nominal its put at 500w. Their logic is, that you use the 500w to move around and the rest of it to balance so it actually doesnt count. So I guess all is good.

Funny to see always the discussions on the switzerland changes. The EU is very clear stated in the CH regulations. Even if there's a 500 W EU it's not a Leicht-MoFa and also not a FÄG (human powered (skaters, kick scooter)).

An EU is a sell balanced one wheel vehicle. So it needs typisation (done by the distributor) who hands out the vehicle papers. This is an very expensive (15-20k CHF) way to get the approval.

I wonder where u get that information from.. All my sources (linked already in here) state something different than you.. ;)

And I was at a party with about 20 officers 2 weeks ago and they all told me they'd just take the wheel - to be on the safe side.. :/ Didn't meet any police yet on my commute - or I didn't see them...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

another EU-driver from Switzerland. I saw one in Winterthur 5 weeks ago, got myself familiar in the internet - thanks to this forum as well - and spontaneously decided to order one directly in China. I have my IPS 130+ now for 2 weeks. I am pretty satisfied, needed much less training than expected. The wheel looks not very elegant, more like a traktor but it runs well. Of course, I cannot compare. Reach is about 12-13 km which is fine for me. Anybody else from Lenzburg or nearby?

• 1 month later...

Yeah, that was me with my old motherboard...

Unfortunately it burned through using the 388Wh battery from 1radwerkstatt...

Now I am riding a new E+ motherboard and had to start over with 0km... ;-(

In total riding distance i have just reached the 2500km mark.

To get back to the subject of this thread:

If anyone near Zurich or Winterthur is interested in riding together, i would be willing to offer my experience as a guide.

Yeah, that was me with my old motherboard...

Unfortunately it burned through using the 388Wh battery from 1radwerkstatt...

Now I am riding a new E+ motherboard and had to start over with 0km... ;-(

In total riding distance i have just reached the 2500km mark.

To get back to the subject of this thread:

If anyone near Zurich or Winterthur is interested in riding together, i would be willing to offer my experience as a guide.

Motherboard because auf 1.2.6 or really battery package. I know a guy in germany driving also the 1Radwerkstatt battery pack. He hasn't burned his moterboard.

I never had the 1.2.6, I'm still riding the 1.2.2.

I am not really sure what broke the motherboard...

I was riding on bike trails around Winterthur when i saw some pedestrians with dogs coming my way. I then went offroad onto the grass which was quite bumpy.
After several meters on the grass, i just fell backwards and the motherboard was toast.

It was my first ride with the new battery and i was using the E motherboard then.

When i got the E+ motherboard as replacement everything worked fine again...

But i don't get the *brrrrpip* sound anymore, it just stops working when I try to access full power...

• 2 months later...

In the attachment the official police document regarding our wheels - got it from a friend working for Kantonspolizei ZH

VP Trendfahrzeuge.pdf

edit: didnt see that someone posted that a long time ago in another thread already..sorry :) I think I'll put my Kingsong up for sale soon. I'm not confortable riding an illegal device

Getting type approval should be possible in the future. We figured out 3 options how to realise redundancy on the motor. The setup of two mainboards to get redundancy for the control boards was defined. But there're manufacturers stating it's not possible. Whatever you do with your KS14, keep an eye on the developments happening and jump in when the solution is available as a product.

• 5 weeks later...

Archived