Puncture

Aslak Gronflaten

A couple of weeks ago I bought a V5F, and this morning I discovered the tire was flat. I didn't notice the puncture while I was riding it the day before, which is odd. Any tips how to deal with the puncture? Do I need to disassemble the unit (this worries me a bit, as I'd feel less confident on it if I introduced any possible damage)? I live in Kuala Lumpur - not sure if there are any professionals around who could help - would a visit to a bike shop be sufficient?

There is no other way but to disassemble the unit. If you have some sense for technical stuff it is relatively simple procedure. You can follow the steps in this video:

Part that concerns getting to the tire itself ends at 6:50.

I've done it several times (was testing different tires) and there were no problems. The wheel is really decently designed and connecting / disconnecting connectors on the control board is very simple (you only need to disconnect 4 of them and they are all on the same cable and colour / length marked). 
As shown in the video, don't forget to discharge the control board first by holding the reset button pressed for 10 seconds.
By far the most difficult part for me is removing the plastic outer shell, once you do that, everything else is easy.
When you assemble the wheel back you have to plug in the charger for few seconds or otherwise it won't turn on. Before driving it again you can diagnose the wheel with mobile app to make sure everything is working well.

By the way - which tire came with your wheel?

18 minutes ago, jrkline said:

I would try some puncture sealant first,like Slime.I hit a nail riding my ACM and when I got back to base,I put in some Slime and have not had a problem since.(over 100 miles since)

Good idea! Try that first @Aslak Gronflaten, you can always disassemble the wheel if the slime doesn't help.

I don't think using slime or any other gel / liquid "aids" is a good idea for EUC :( Anything "splashing" / crawling inside your tire during higher speeds will offset the balance of the wheel and can lead to accident / crash!

4 hours ago, HEC said:

I don't think using slime or any other gel / liquid "aids" is a good idea for EUC :( Anything "splashing" / crawling inside your tire during higher speeds will offset the balance of the wheel and can lead to accident / crash!

Yet there are so many people that do use Slime with no apparent side effects, other than no flats.

5 hours ago, HEC said:

1 hour ago, Marty Backe said:

Yet there are so many people that do use Slime with no apparent side effects, other than no flats.

That really doesn't make any sense to me because it isn't possible the wheel wouldn't become out of balance with a slime inside. I always wonder if the folks were using it don't feel what is going on below them and mistake the tiny fasciculations for road and perfections when essence the axle is becoming jarred by the out of balance tire which can and will lead to premature failure at the worst possible time

He utilizado este líquido para tubulers ruedas en mi bicicleta por un largo tiempo y para mí es el mejor, y en un asunto en el que el agujero es muy grande, es muy probable que le permitirá hinchar la rueda y obtener la casa y arreglar el pinchazo, pero lo normal es que permite una gran cantidad de pinchazos y no tiene ningún problema, el líquido tiene una fecha de caducidad después de entrar en la rueda, pero siempre se puede utilizar mucho más tiempo, es muy posible que cada año, usted tiene que cambiar la cámara. Aire de la EUC (en bicicletas es diferente porque no tiene cámara de aire y la cubierta y la llanta son especiales) la EUC es necesario ponerlo en la cámara de aire (ver vídeos de YouTube), el líquido es como el agua y no hay no tiene ningún efecto en la conducción, ya que hay que poner la cantidad recomendada, quiero poner este líquido porque me da más seguridad cuando voy fuera de casa y por el campo, usted tiene que quitar una pieza de introducir el líquido, se puede recomendar para algunos ir al mecánico de bicicletas y para introducir el líquido, en el video se puede ver qué pieza es lo siento por la traducción de Google

On 11/13/2016 at 4:19 PM, xebeche said:

I've done it several times (was testing different tires) and there were no problems. The wheel is really decently designed and connecting / disconnecting connectors on the control board is very simple (you only need to disconnect 4 of them and they are all on the same cable and colour / length marked). 

hey, which tire do you think is the best for v5/v5f/v5f+ so far?

On 11/14/2016 at 8:19 AM, xebeche said:

By the way - which tire came with your wheel?

Chao Yang H - 5153

I found a staple stuck in the tire, so now I know exactly where the puncture happened. Gonna try to see if I can pry off the tire just enough to get to the puncture without taking the whole thing apart... if that doesn't work I'll go the sealant route probably.

Thanks for all the feedback guys.

On 11/14/2016 at 3:01 AM, HEC said:

This is really a non sequitur.Slime has the consistancy of a petroleum jelly product and coats the inside surface area once high rpms are applied and stays in place.The only way splashing would come into play would be the introduction of a substance with the consistancy of water,and only at very low rpms because higher rpms would cause inertial forces to distribute the liquid mass evenly.

• 7 months later...
2 hours ago, Aslak Gronflaten said:

I did put sealant in - not slime (not available here) but some other brand. The result was that the valve got clogged, and it got impossible to inflate the tire. 

Hopefully you removed the valve before putting the sealant in the tube. The valve does not get clogged when using Slime (which is added to the tube after removing the valve).

Archived