Newbie with questions about Lhotz

Slaughthammer

Hi guys,

today i finally recieved my Xima Lhotz! Took tony only 10 days to get it to Germany, and at a reasonalble price too. As it's brand new, it uses the IamIPS App for configuration. I used an older version (I found somewhere in this forum, great work guys!) of the app to unlock the max speed of 30 km/h, then realized i can't turn the side lights off with this version. So I installed the latest version Tony mailed me, and there you go, lights go out, if you want to, plus you get a few more light profiles. But if i turn on the lamp, (white LEDs in front and red at the back, permanently on) it also gets switched off when disable the side LEDs. Also, the lamp needs to be switched back on each time the wheel ist switched off and on.  would like to have it switched on as deafault, with the side LEDs dark. Is this possible? I think i could allways just open it up and unplug the side LEDs from the controlboard, but that wouldn't solve the lamp problem. Which wouldn't be quite so bad, if the app connected reliably to the Lhotz each time it is opened. Many times I need multiple attemps and wheel switching cycles until it connects. (Using Android 4.4.4 aka cyanogenmod 11 on an S2) So anyone any suggestions if this is fixable or if i just need to live with it?

Thanks!

Besides these minor issues, the Lhotz seems really nice, though as this is my first wheel I can't really compare it to others.

And by the way, I will eventually open it up anyways, to improve water resistance an see, if a can sqeeze 16 additional 18650 cells in there.. which would give me a Lhotz 510!

Hi @Slaughthammer - good choice of wheel. I'm sure you will have a lot of fun with it. 

My Lhotz uses the newer IamIPS app too - and I have it set for the front and rear lights to be on, but the side lights off. And it stays like this when restarting...

PSX_20161022_113740.jpg

The "lamp" button controls the front / rear, and the button below it (showing "lights off" in the screen shot) controls the side lights. 

The version of the app is...

PSX_20161022_113644.jpg

Having said that, my wheel may be a slightly different version, as both the front and rear lights are red - I had wondered about changing the front to white, and I'd be keen to see a picture of them (if you could) to see if they can be swapped out. 

Thanks so far!

The front and rear LEDs actually change colour according to riding direction, white in front and red at the Back. But if I set the light controls as you displayed, I get brake lights only. As soon as i switch of the side LEDs, the lamp button does nothign at all. My app is version 1.0.0.18, so same as yours, firmware is 4.2.7, bluetooth 1.0.5

In the images you can see the taillight mode and the headlight mode. Those are 3 RGB-LEDs, so they should be able to do any colour.

The mode of the side LEDs ist stored perfectly. Head/taillight won't stay on if I restart the wheel, and won't light up when the side LEDs are off.

Foto-0338.jpg

Foto-0339.jpg

edit:

Do you still have the .apk-file for your app? Whats the filename? There seem to be different versions with same version number. Mine is IPS_20160415.apk I just reinstalled the Unlock version, with a somewhat differens startup screen and no option to switch off the side LEDs, filename ips_1109_unlocked.apk, which gives the same version number 1.0.0.18. Little confusing? Anyhow, lamp doesn't stay on...

So, apparently the lhotz was upgraded to the light controls of the Zero. It has the same behaviour. What I was missing out is, that in atmosphere mode the side LEDs get switched off once the wheel is turning. So i can choose that and still enable the lamp for head- and taillight. As for the not saved lamp status, it seems it can only be fixed with a new firmware version.

After some testing in the dark it turns out, that in atmosphere lighting mode head- and taillight are not working properly. They are only blinking, once every few seconds at irregular intervals. So for the sake of beeing seen when riding in the dark i set it to breath mode, which has the side LEDs not blinking in a somewhat fancy way but rather has them all cycle through all the colours the programmer of the firmware could think of. I guess ist also helps at beeing seen, though it might be a little confusing for other traffic participants.

Yes. I am not a fan of the "lightshow" and I normally have them off, with just the front / rear LED active - these increase intensity when "braking."

But when I am riding around dusk, I do activate the side lights to assist in being seen...

I would very much appreciate if there was a mode with the front half of the side LEDs white and the rear half red. I think that would really increase safety when riding in the dark. It would be instantanious clear to anyone in which direction I am headed. A shame no one at IPS thought of this, as they are usually quite concerned (at least compared to the other EUC manufacturers) about safety. As here in Germany "winter is coming", i will be riding in the dark a lot in the upcoming months.

So i contacted IPS via facebook page:

"Hi there, I just recieved my brand new IPS 191 xima lhotz. I chose a product of your company because you are really concerned about safety of your wheels. Therefore i don't understand why i have to turn the "lamp" (head- and taillight) each time on i start the wheel up, or just can't do so if the side lights are switched to "no lights", an even in "atmosphere" the lamp lights won't stay on continuously. The other lights modes are in my opinion a little bit confusing for others. I would greatly appreciate if there was a light mode in which the lamp would be on permanently, the front half of the side LEDs shine white and the back half red. I think this would really boost traffic safety of this otherwise great wheel!"

And actually got a response:

"Hi, thank you very much for your suggestion. The light (head- and taillight) will be on is as a reminder device when you open the wheel. You can contact app to choose the side light is on or off. I think it is a good idea for half white and half red. Could you contact app? We will do better in further. Once again, Thank you very much."

I somehow have the feeling that whoever read my message and answered it had some trouble grasping what I was trying to say. But I also really struggle to guess what "The light (head- and taillight) will be on is as a reminder device when you open the wheel." is upposed to mean? Any suggestions?

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/2/2016 at 11:32 PM, Shoe73 said:

I only have red lights on mine. But at least the wheel remembers the light settings after being powered off and on again.

My Lhotz is the same. It has only red lights, and the wheel remembers the light settings. However, that is an older version. I recently purchased a newer Lhotz (with white forward / red rear LEDs which swap when the direction changes), and the wheel does not remember the setting. I have to connect with the app to turn on the front/back LEDs every time the Lhotz is turned on.

Archived