Celebritization Potential of PEVs

Jason McNeil

A couple months back, a contact from Inmotion showed me a YT video of J. Bieber turning up for some event in Chicago on one of their L6 scooters (ironically his agent's sobriquet is 'Scooter Braun'!).

The source said that Bieber just walked into a store in London, bought the scooter, at full price, & that-was-that; there no press release, no photo op, no blitzing the multitudinous celebrity forums, or attempt to make viral video. Question is why not? Bieber probably had a larger share than anyone else in bringing about the dead-end flash-in-the-pan late 2015 Board craze. There's huge swathes of the demographic that would ONLY buy a PEV if it had been endorsed by some celebrity. Like it or not, Celebritization is the perhaps the only route this more viable technology has from shifting it from a practical, intelligent, & obvious means of transport, where 'aspirant lifestyle' considerations trump all others.

17 minutes ago, Jason McNeil said:

Like it or not, Celebritization is the perhaps the only route this more viable technology has from shifting it from a practical, intelligent, & obvious means of transport, where 'aspirant lifestyle' considerations trump all others.

I totally agree unless Mike Tyson begins promoting them?

love this thread... that's a worse head injury than he might have ever suffered in the ring. folks rarely got a glove on him

interesting video

thanks for adding it

1 hour ago, Jason McNeil said:

A couple months back, a contact from Inmotion showed me a YT video of J. Bieber turning up for some event in Chicago on one of their L6 scooters (ironically his agent's sobriquet is 'Scooter Braun'!).

The source said that Bieber just walked into a store in London, bought the scooter, at full price, & that-was-that; there no press release, no photo op, no blitzing the multitudinous celebrity forums, or attempt to make viral video. Question is why not? Bieber probably had a larger share than anyone else in bringing about the dead-end flash-in-the-pan late 2015 Board craze. There's huge swathes of the demographic that would ONLY buy a PEV if it had been endorsed by some celebrity. Like it or not, Celebritization is the perhaps the only route this more viable technology has from shifting it from a practical, intelligent, & obvious means of transport, where 'aspirant lifestyle' considerations trump all others.

i had no idea about justin and his scooters

great topic and video

thanks

5 hours ago, Jason McNeil said:

Like it or not, Celebritization is the perhaps the only route this more viable technology has from shifting it from a practical, intelligent, & obvious means of transport

I see your point. Yet I would think that celebrities can only determine what is fashionable and trendy at some point time, they can't determine what will survive the test of practical day-to-day experience over years (be it for persistent fun or utility). Whether EUCs/scooters/boards etc. will finally succeed depends more on the latter than the former and on possible legislation. Nevertheless, celebrities can certainly help as catalysts to speed up the process.

Archived