My fracking luck :(

Lefteris

I was cleaning the swimming pool one day while listening to music with headphones. The phone was in my shirt pocket.  I bent forward to scrub the side of the pool and saw this illuminated silver object drift down the bottom of the pool and my music stopped. 

My phone fell out of my shirt pocket into the deep end of the pool.  I quickly dove in and retrieved my phone from the bottom of the pool. The screen was still illuminated, so I thought it wasn't harmed... but about five minuted later it died.

So I took it apart, removed the battery, and put it in a bag of dry rice for the night. The next day, I put the battery back in and the phone worked!

But a week later I dropped it and shattered the screen.  So I took it to a repair place, and for $50, they fixed the screen.

But about a month later all the buttons started to stop working...  

That phone had a really tough life.

Q~

You should do what I do...

I have a "company" phone - they come wrapped with a lot of red tape, but whenever I trash it I just send it off and a free replacement arrives.

I'm currently onto #5!

In my case that was a phone given to me by my boss as both a company phone and a gift, that's why it sucks that i've broken it..

i've found a decent replacement but i'll lose the ip certification and i've frequently shown how much waterproof it is to friends and such.. :( 

it sucks d*mn it.. :'( 

6 minutes ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

Bugger...

The worst thing is that he bought two phones for me and my co-o[...] and both of us broke'em :P but boss' phone that is without case etc is still intact..

our fracking luck i say :(:D 

Another type of story, this is my phone:

ekEAf9v.png

This is a phone I got as a gift in 2006 or 2007, my father-in-law brought if from a work trip to China, cost something like 40-50€ back then. It has touch display (with a pen that slides out from the bottom), FM-radio, MP3-player, e-Book reader, dual sim, shitty camera and lots of fancy led-lights that illuminate the keypad and the backside when it rings. Probably other features too that I've never used.

It came with two batteries, the first one started swelling after a couple of years, so I took it to recycling and put the other one in, which has worked just fine since. The current battery lasts "only" a couple of weeks now, probably after something like 7 years of use, when it was newer, I charged maybe once a month. It has taken quite a lot of beating (I think I've actually stepped on it a couple of times), but still works without a hitch. I might update to a smart-phone when they have 600+ hours of standby-time on single charge... ;)

2 minutes ago, Lefteros (SomniusX) said:

what about sars values on these old phones.. :-/ 

No idea, probably over some limits? :P I haven't worried about it that much, actually, I'd be more worried of everyone having WLans (Wi-Fi) everywhere, that transmit microwave-frequency signal 24/7 around them... ;)

The irony of this all is of course that I've worked for a mobile game company for the last five and a half years, and could get any phone I want for my own use... :D I do currently have an iPhone, Nokia Lumia and some Samsung Android -phone for development purposes, but I don't use them otherwise (well, I take most of the pictures I post with the iPhone). Usually when I need them, they've run out of battery...

11 minutes ago, Lefteros (SomniusX) said:

oh man, when the time comes to give up your 7y old phone for good, you are going to have such a hard time adjusting to the current "bad" reality of the "lasts a day at most" battery.. :D 

The current battery is about 7 years old, the phone itself is around 10 years... ;)  When it finally gives up, I'll probably just get another cheap "feature phone" like Nokia 222 (a little under 700 hours of standby time on single charge), as I have very little use for smart phone myself, I just occasionally work with them :P  Most of my work happens in Eclipse / Spring Tool Suite, server backend shell-terminals & database command lines, so usually I need a keyboard and multiple terminal connections (and a couple of monitors), kinda hard to do with a smart phone ;)

about the cheap feature phone like Nokia 222, get one now that you can cause they are going extinct.. businesses and elderly people buy them by the 10s..

get one and put it away 'till the one you are using dies 

13 hours ago, esaj said:

The current battery is about 7 years old, the phone itself is around 10 years... ;)  When it finally gives up, I'll probably just get another cheap "feature phone" like Nokia 222 (a little under 700 hours of standby time on single charge), as I have very little use for smart phone myself, I just occasionally work with them :P  Most of my work happens in Eclipse / Spring Tool Suite, server backend shell-terminals & database command lines, so usually I need a keyboard and multiple terminal connections (and a couple of monitors), kinda hard to do with a smart phone ;)

Beware of some of these Chinese phones as apparently they give off much higher levels of EMF radiation.

Archived