When your employer dictates the law

Johey

This morning I arrived at work as usual, happily picked up my wheel and walked upstairs to my desk. Opened the mailbox, just to find this newsletter. From now on, no private vehicles are allowed inside the building, with the following examples (though not limited to these): bikes, skateboards, segways, "monowheels" or inlines/roller skates. The background to this decision was a recent serious accident when someone was using a skateboard inside the building.

My employer is a big company with about 30000 employees in my city and 60000 world-wide I believe. Needless to say, decisions are hard to change. I asked my boss, who replied by shaking his head as a gesture of lack of power.

But... Never give up hope!

Full of disappointment I decided to give it a chance. I wrote an e-mail to the responsible department. I pointed out the positive aspects of using the EUC in favor of the car, plus the good properties of it as a commuting tool. I also mentioned the EUC is small enough to fit within a bag shelf. Basically, I asked indirectly for an exception for EUCs to the new rules. Believe it or not, but within an hour I got a reply... Provided I keep it on the shelf, not using it within the building, I am allowed to bring the EUC! They really listened to me, a simple employee of the lowest possible rank. I can hardly believe it myself. :D

In theory if you put it in a bag and put it under your desk i wouldn't think it would be a problem. But glad it worked out for you, i'd never ride my EUC on company property, if i had a slip and fell how ever unlikely, i'd lose my job.

23 minutes ago, Johey said:

not using it within the building

IMO, the key point here...and kudos for the courage to ask.

I work in a huge government office building with  hallways perfectly suited for riding EUC's. But with several exceptions demonstrating "the new technology"  to my colleagues, I do not find it appropriate at all to use the wheel inside the building. Nevertheless, my up middle work position, better not to attract unnecessary attention...one colleague said that because of me now the building needs speed limits signs :)

@spikes2020, yeah I came up with multiple more or less potential solutions, including putting it in a bag, locking it in bike stands outside etc. But an official exception is worth more by magnitudes. :)

@DS, clearly! Though, as the new rules are formed, you are not allowed to bring it inside the controlled area. Generally I prefer the don't ask don't tell principle, but with an EUC you cannot avoid getting attention. I mean, many of my colleagues will likely point out the rules whenever they get the chance. Telling them I hide it in a bag is good, but telling them it's officially permitted is better. :)

12 minutes ago, DS said:

But with several exceptions demonstrating "the new technology"  to my colleagues, I do not find it appropriate at all to use the wheel inside the building.

I've had the same thing, I do power the wheel up and trolley handle it through the building but would never ride it. However a couple of times a manager has actually asked me to demonstrate it to some staff.

Having said that I do ride it up or down the travellator into the building but only if no customers are around, it is quite a good test of its hill climbing and descending ability!

1 hour ago, DS said:

IMO, the key point here...and kudos for the courage to ask.

I work in a huge government office building with  hallways perfectly suited for riding EUC's. But with several exceptions demonstrating "the new technology"  to my colleagues, I do not find it appropriate at all to use the wheel inside the building. Nevertheless, my up middle work position, better not to attract unnecessary attention...one colleague said that because of me now the building needs speed limits signs :)

In my Company some rules like this sure will not come.....the reason:

Just 2 weeks ago i left the buílding through the Underground car park. Accidentaly i rolled nearby a "Meeting" of the big Boss and all the leadership Managers.

First i was thinking "&"§$%&/....not good"...Then i heard a shouting "What?!...unbelievable" and the big Boss walked by some cars...to cut off my way...leaving his Managers Standing alone!

Then we had a nice conversation about EUC's in General....and he clearly showed his enthusiasm for the wheel and asked me to Show riding on it again...the other top Managers also came by!

So now the complete leadership of my Company knows me...and also got a Little knowledge about EUC's B)

For a couple of weeks now, I have rolled on my wheel the 6 kilometers from my doorstep at home all the way into my office (forth floor, using the elevator), parking by my chair. Same way back home after work. My collegues think I'm a bit lunatic - which is true of course...:D

6 minutes ago, Frode said:

For a couple of weeks now, I have rolled on my wheel the 6 kilometers from my doorstep at home all the way into my office (forth floor, using the elevator), parking by my chair. Same way back home after work. My collegues think I'm a bit lunatic - which is true of course...:D

Think how ridiculous these conversations sound after 10-20 years when unicycles are as common as bicycles now? :)

12 minutes ago, MarkoMarjamaa said:

Think how ridiculous these conversations sound after 10-20 years when unicycles are as common as bicycles now? :)

Pioneers are always captured in the spotlight from the hindsight. ;)

• 2 weeks later...
On 17/08/2016 at 0:57 PM, Frode said:

Haha I've been feeling the same for about 11 months now! :P

I do a bit less, 5km. Took 25-30min on the Generic I used for 3 months and 12min on the IPS Lhotz, much better ;)

@Jean Dublin: Hello Dublin! I've once visited your beautiful city of Dublin. I remember I somewhat unexpectedly got sunburned! We also traveled along the north-western coast. It was so hot that we could go swimming in the ocean. And on Tory island we shook hands with the King of Tory (as every visitor respectfully have to do). :)

10 hours ago, Jean Dublin said:

I do a bit less, 5km. Took 25-30min on the Generic I used for 3 months and 12min on the IPS Lhotz, much better

I am now mostly taking the longest way home after work - 11 km. Ca. 30 min. :D

Archived