High Speed Emergency Avoidance Maneuver

After approaching a sharp S curve at 20 kph (a little too fast!) on my NB1E+, I wonder if it's wise to practice high speed dodging maneuvers and review what the correct methods to do so are.  Now imagine a NARROW straightaway on a path, and at the end there is a sharp left turn followed immediately by a right turn (I believe it's called a chicane?).  Realizing I was into the turn a little fast, I quickly leaned back while leaning to the left and braked while turning.  The tire made a quick quirrr sound, and I made it through safely.  It did feel a little fast for comfort though.

1007phr_09_o%2Bbondurants_school_of_high

I was thinking that's exactly a good practice move to avoid an obstacle that jumps into your way (pedestrian, baby carriage, small child chasing a balloon, dog, cat, etc) or you see at the last moment.  I'm not sure if I executed the move correctly or all that gracefully, but I haven't seen a lot of high speed turns in videos - just slaloms.  This was a high speed approach, followed by a moderate braking and turning at the same time.  I know with racing cars it's best to brake just before the turn to get to the speed that you can safely make it through then throttle it through the apex while avoiding oversteer.  Ideally I would have braked down my speed and turned, but this was a last minute speed adjustment so I braked through the curve.  Seemed to work okay, but it didn't feel that smooth or maybe I was just a bit freaked out that I could have crashed pretty badly.

Anyone got some technique tips?  I think they teach avoidance maneuvers during motorcycle classes, but I've never attended one so I can't give any first hand knowledge.  Maybe our local Harley Biker Hell's Angel member @Rehab1B) can comment.

I've always just done some small slaloms while going max speed. Keeps you on your feet and ready if someone hops out at you. If you'd like to stop and turn while going fast, bend your knees and brake. You'll brake a little quicker since you're kind of "falling" by bending your knees (you're asserting less weight on the bot in that motion, allowing it to brake quicker), and when you stand back up, you can use that pressure to brake even harder, just try not to hurt your wheel :). So, it should look like you doing a small slalom and then coming to a crouch position while slowing down and standing back up once you've reached your desired speed.
I'm not sure how well this technique will work for other body figures, but I'm 6'3" and I weigh ~150 and this has been working very well in crowded areas and other intense situations. Plus! It looks cool if you do it right :-)

You can practice with stationary objects, going at a high speed and then right in front of them jumping to the side. like @Tatertot said, you need to brake right before the manouver, or at least lean back so as to oppose the inertia of the top part of your bodh that will keep you moving in the direction of travel when you want to swerve to the side.  Since the lower point of the body is braking, the top point has to decellerate by the same amount, otherwise you will keel over. In any case, the first and most effective thing to do is to brake / lean back. If you reach a slower speed and still have time/distance to turn, this will become easier. It is hard to explain how but one needs to reach a perfect balance ( just the right amount of braking and then just the right amount of turning).

what i usually do is brake to the point that i see i can still have time to avoid collission, and then swerve more safely.

Also you can do quick momentary swerves but they need to be short enough, because your body will still continue going forward. In a way you will be borrowing the swerve to the side and need to " give it back" fast enough to maintain the balance. This technique can come in handy when trying to avoid obstacles, potholes thta one has not seen from a distance.

if there is enough distance/ time to turn safely, then what can help is learning to balance on one foot, this way a better, more precise curve can be achieved by placing the weight on the foot in which direction one is turning, and making the curve leaning to the side at the correct angle.

Sometimes you can grab onto something like a pole which will help you change direction fast. This way your muscles can play a role in fighting inertia and it makes it much easier to change direction.

sometimes, there is just not enough distance/ time to do anything and the collision is unavoidable. I cant explain why but in these situations i act instinctively, and i normally sort of grab/ hug the person i am colliding with. I dont know why but this helps to not knock him down - ive done it several times and the person never fell. I think maybe its because at the time of collision, by pushing someone forward creating an opposite force which pushes you in the opposite direction - backwards. So you are a bulk of mass that is stationary or pushed back. By holding on to someone you are providing him a tether to a stationary object and can keep him from falling down.

Is it possible to turn the wheel sharply and skid to a stop sideways?  Sort of like you do when you are skating.  I may have to attempt this with my old wheel.

On one wheel I don't think you really want to skid sideways, but I think @EUC Extreme likely does this on dirt tracks.  I would think it's probably difficult to keep your balance while doing it, but on dry pavement I don't think it's that's easy as all your weight is on one small contact patch.  In my case I just approached the turn too quickly, and I was into the turn trying to slow down at the same time so instead of my usual forwards lean and to the left with an upper body twist, I was leaning backwards braking while turning at the same time.  It was a little different as it's not a motion I usually need to do, but it was good practice for emergency avoidance I think.

21 minutes ago, xoltri said:

Is it possible to turn the wheel sharply and skid to a stop sideways?  Sort of like you do when you are skating.  I may have to attempt this with my old wheel.

Yes it is possible. I have often done so.

8 hours ago, HunkaHunkaBurningLove said:

On one wheel I don't think you really want to skid sideways, but I think @EUC Extreme likely does this on dirt tracks.  I would think it's probably difficult to keep your balance while doing it, but on dry pavement I don't think it's that's easy as all your weight is on one small contact patch.  In my case I just approached the turn too quickly, and I was into the turn trying to slow down at the same time so instead of my usual forwards lean and to the left with an upper body twist, I was leaning backwards braking while turning at the same time.  It was a little different as it's not a motion I usually need to do, but it was good practice for emergency avoidance I think.

Ive done this once. There was an earlier thread about this, so called "power slide" . It wss funny because in that thread i kept saying that this is impossible to do on a unicycle and then i accidentally did it myself. Not sure i can repeat it though.

I think there is a difference between the mud/ sand slides from the power slide. In soft soil the wheel can slide through while leaning back, decellerating and turning while in the power slide on asphalt pavement the braking is achiever through skidding/ friction over the hard surface

@EUC Extreme is the master.

I have not actually videotaped this at all, because I do not think it was so important.
I do it occasionally :)
But only once I've done it for the camera. Then the video was made in our country news.

Even then, it was the idea of the graph. He asked, are you able to do so, and right now in front of the camera :) I said that, of course.

Archived