My Ninebot has Segway written all over it.

steve454

Is that a good thing?  I don't know, but at least the there are a lot of Segway dealers worldwide for warranty work.  So far have not needed any, the Ninebot feels a lot stronger than my learning wheels.  I am starting to feel trust but still do not ride much on concrete.

• Upvote 1

On 6/18/2016 at 7:02 AM, steve454 said:

Is that a good thing?  I don't know, but at least the there are a lot of Segway dealers worldwide for warranty work.  So far have not needed any, the Ninebot feels a lot stronger than my learning wheels.  I am starting to feel trust but still do not ride much on concrete.

Ninebot (backed by Xiaomi) acquired Segway (the company) a little over a year ago.  That is why.

Edited by John Eucist
corrected the date... oops
  • Upvote 2

Yeah, but shouldnt you plaster your name all over the thing you bought and not vice versa? :P Ninebot sounds so much cooler than segway.. But Segway has a long running good rep.

Edited by Jag_Rip
  • Upvote 1

On 18.6.2016 at 5:25 AM, John Eucist said:

Ninebot (backed by Xiaomi) acquired Segway (the company) two months ago.  That is why.

Two months ago? Wasn't it more like a year and two months ago? Or maybe it was just rumored in the spring of 2015, don't remember... :P

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, esaj said:

Two months ago? Wasn't it more like a year and two months ago? Or maybe it was just rumored in the spring of 2015, don't remember... :P

You are right.  I just googled before I answered him and saw April 15 and for some reason thought it was this year.  I did find it a bit odd that (as I mistakenly thought) it was "only two months" ago but then I didn't think it was 14 months ago either.  "Felt" like about half a year ago.  Time sure flies.  :P

• Upvote 3

On 6/18/2016 at 0:22 PM, Jag_Rip said:

Yeah, but shouldnt you plaster your name all over the thing you bought and not vice versa? :P Ninebot sounds so much cooler than segway.. But Segway has a long running good rep.

I think Ninebot bought the name only.  To me it seems that Ninebot is good quality, at least compared to generic wheels.  I would love to try a Kingsong,Gotway,Firewheel,,Huanxi, TGF3, Rockwheel  Solowheel. High torque high speed etc.

4 hours ago, steve454 said:

I think Ninebot bought the name only.

No.  I'm pretty sure they acquired the whole company.
https://techcrunch.com/2015/04/15/ninebot-segways-into-the-future/
http://www.bbc.com/news/business-32316865
https://www.engadget.com/2015/04/15/segway-ninebot-xiaomi-acquisition/

Edited by John Eucist
  • Upvote 3

• 2 weeks later...

I think I read something about that somewhere.  And now they have patent protection.

I just went to Ninebot.com and looked for dealers.  If you enter Ninebot and then USA  into the fields, you get 34 dealers and all are Segway dealers.  About 4 or 5 are duplicates, trying to inflate I guess, but if you put Ninebot one and Us dealers you only get half as many.  The disturbing thing is that the Segway dealer I bought my Bot from is not on the list.   The closest dealer is in Houston, Texas. If I ever need warranty work, and it looks like I never will,  I guess I can say, Houston, we have a problem.:lol:  

• 1 year later...

A month ago, I drove by the store I bought my Ninebot One E+ from.   Texas Segway in Hurst.  It was closed for good.:(  Aww, man!  Oh, well, the Ninebot is way out of warranty anyhow, and still works fine, even though it is starting to feel a little weak.  No idea what happened, but it is a shame that a business went out of business.  Good thoughts to the dealer.  If I get a new wheel, Kingsong and Gotway are the two top contenders, followed by Inmotion and IPS.

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...

Steve454,

Vince is still a Segway Dealer he just moved to a less expensive location in McKinney! His Garage!

if the website is still up you can contact him. If not I can send you his number.

D

• Upvote 2

13 hours ago, P99Guy said:

Steve454,

Vince is still a Segway Dealer he just moved to a less expensive location in McKinney! His Garage!

if the website is still up you can contact him. If not I can send you his number.

D

Thanks, good to hear he is still in business.  Yes the website is still up, if I ever need repairs it looks like I can still contact him.