Gotway ACM Shell defect

In the case for Gotway, I'd say an acknowledged delay is actually a good sign. It means they recognized problems and decided to perfect the product instead of just letting their first customers deal with the issues (like mcm4). Lessons learned, and we should applaud them for holding themselves to a higher standard. 

• Upvote 3

Was the defect ugliness?  ;)  Maybe it's just me, but does anyone else think that the ACM shell design is just "meh?"

14608008873977811.png

I don't know - it just doesn't have a lot of "pizzazz" to it.  I think that yellow thing is a headlight?  Don't get me wrong - I love the specs on that beast, and what the heck 35 kph?  I'm just saying that if I'm going to die flying off this thing at 35 kph, I want people to think whoa he was riding such a cool looking wheel instead of whoa he went flying off this suitcase with a wheel thing...  It just looks kind of pedestrian? 

I guess it's function over form, and it looks like some black box thing without much character you know?  I don't mean slap a bunch of flashing lookatme LED's on it, but at least make it more futuristic looking?  Boost up the sexiness a notch?  I mean, don't they want to sell a bazillion of these things?  I like the Gotway MCM4 which is nice though.  This ACM yeah I don't know.

Why don't they have a nice, racing red, glossy finish sportscar design element to these wheels (besides the obvious scratch prone hazard)?  I like the Ninebot style and IPS zero minimalist styling.  The LHOTZ has some interesting angular, transformer-like features.  You can't underestimate the sex appeal of these wheels on consumers.  I don't want to be riding what looks like a PC case on a big wheel.

25.jpg

Edited by HunkaHunkaBurningLove

22 hours ago, Michael Vu said:

I just laid down my payment for the ACM to Jane but she said that shipment is delayed because of a shell defect. Anybody else know any details about this or see something wrong in your ACM shell?

The shell problem is happen in the outlook, we choose one by one from the first batch of the shells, and assembling the wheels with those none problem shells, and the rest shells are returned to shell factory to remake. Don't worry about the problem, we should test it before sending. Thanks!

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Linneaunicycles said:

The shell problem is happen in the outlook, we choose one by one from the first batch of the shells, and assembling the wheels with those none problem shells, and the rest shells are returned to shell factory to remake. Don't worry about the problem, we should test it before sending. Thanks!

Ok thanks. I hope to have my ACM arrive soon in working order!

8 hours ago, HunkaHunkaBurningLove said:

Was the defect ugliness?  ;)  Maybe it's just me, but does anyone else think that the ACM shell design is just "meh?"

14608008873977811.png

I don't know - it just doesn't have a lot of "pizzazz" to it.  I think that yellow thing is a headlight?  Don't get me wrong - I love the specs on that beast, and what the heck 35 kph?  I'm just saying that if I'm going to die flying off this thing at 35 kph, I want people to think whoa he was riding such a cool looking wheel instead of whoa he went flying off this suitcase with a wheel thing...  It just looks kind of pedestrian? 

I guess it's function over form, and it looks like some black box thing without much character you know?  I don't mean slap a bunch of flashing lookatme LED's on it, but at least make it more futuristic looking?  Boost up the sexiness a notch?  I mean, don't they want to sell a bazillion of these things?  I like the Gotway MCM4 which is nice though.  This ACM yeah I don't know.

Why don't they have a nice, racing red, glossy finish sportscar design element to these wheels (besides the obvious scratch prone hazard)?  I like the Ninebot style and IPS zero minimalist styling.  The LHOTZ has some interesting angular, transformer-like features.  You can't underestimate the sex appeal of these wheels on consumers.  I don't want to be riding what looks like a PC case on a big wheel.

25.jpg

First time I saw the MSuper I thought OMG and this terrible sound (tinnitus). But after some experience with my IPS on tours, fails in inclines (overheating/ blocking/ power cuts) I realised that there's another path I need to follow. On a tour I test drove a MSuper 850 Wh. Bang. That's it. 

Gotways design language on the ACM, the current MSuper and the upcoming MSuper is a bit camouflage look. I'm definetly no military fan. I accepted that the MSuper looks like it looks. It's hate or love.

Where I ride I've no chance with this normal EUs. Having inclines you're focused on Kingsong or Gotway. As the Kingsong has overheating issues and only has "almost parallel" batteries I ended up with the MSuper. The decision was not based on beautiness/ design. I tried to move my wife from the decision of buying the KS16 to the ACM. She did a design decision.

The ACM and the rendering of the upcoming new MSuper is a major improvement in design for Gotway. Hopefully the shells are improved also to withstand mire forces. On this matter the MSuper case is a Diva. 

Edited by OliverH
  • Upvote 1

Don't get me wrong - I don't mean to talk smack about Gotway as they and Kingsong look to be very technically advanced with excellent performance specs to be sure.  I actually like the new Kingsong KS16 appearance overall, but the headphones side logo leaves a little to be desired.  The clean lines of the Msuper with the briefcase/side saddlebags makes sense.  I haven't seen the new design for the Msuper.

I guess I just expect newer models to have that wow factor in appearance.  I don't mind seeing "sleeper" EUCs, but I prefer to see a more futuristic design element.  Imagine if Pininfarina or Audi were to design a shell for a EUC what do you think it would look like?  I think that Ninebot / Xiaomi has stylish design lines that are very appealing to a wide array of people.  

I think it would be nice to see more EUC makers marry cool looking designs with good functional elements if they want to appeal to a larger target audience.  Just look at Apple iPhones that sell for $900 and consider all the colour choices they come in.  People line up for each new model that comes out.  Never under-estimate the power of what sleek and sexy can bring to a product.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, HunkaHunkaBurningLove said:

Don't get me wrong - I don't mean to talk smack about Gotway as they and Kingsong look to be very technically advanced with excellent performance specs to be sure.  I actually like the new Kingsong KS16 appearance overall, but the headphones side logo leaves a little to be desired.  The clean lines of the Msuper with the briefcase/side saddlebags makes sense.  I haven't seen the new design for the Msuper.

I guess I just expect newer models to have that wow factor in appearance.  I don't mind seeing "sleeper" EUCs, but I prefer to see a more futuristic design element.  Imagine if Pininfarina or Audi were to design a shell for a EUC what do you think it would look like?  I think that Ninebot / Xiaomi has stylish design lines that are very appealing to a wide array of people.  

I think it would be nice to see more EUC makers marry cool looking designs with good functional elements if they want to appeal to a larger target audience.  Just look at Apple iPhones that sell for $900 and consider all the colour choices they come in.  People line up for each new model that comes out.  Never under-estimate the power of what sleek and sexy can bring to a product.

Kingsong is said to have the same sources as Gotway, Kingsong used the same protocol for BT communication and started surprisingly with an 14" and 18" model. We interpret to much what a manufacturer is. Currently the EU market is so small as street legal issues are not sorted out (preventing sales to the masses) and marketing is just horror. There're to much companies trying to get shares of the market. This will be sorted out with regulations: Companies will leave the market, some will stay and make an evolution and new ones will appear having the maturity which is needed for the future.

An EU company will need to listen to customer demands, regulation requirements and need to be innovative on technology and design. But beside this they need make a move in the organisation to fulfil service and quality management for the future. There also need to be made improvements in the way the EUs are produced which will be an issue with rising sales in the next years. There's much can be learned from the automotive industry.

When all this happen there's room for design variations, colors, customization.

• Upvote 1

But I want it all right now!  :(   It looks like Ninebot has style but is lacking function (bad firmware, sudden shut downs) but others have function yet could have a touch more style.  I guess there's nothing wrong with being "low-key" as the coolness factor of self-balancing draws enough attention as it is.  You be the judge...

Although I have admittedly dodged a few serious firmware bullets (and am wary of its known regenerative braking downhill issue when fully charged), I have to say that my Ninebot one e+ has been very stable and has never shut down unexpectedly on me in the year or so I've had it. I weigh 100kg and typically ride at its top speed... just shy of tilt back, and have done so for nearly 500 kilometers worth of riding.

I am really hoping that the new Gotways turn out to be stable. I would love to add a Gotway to my EUC family!

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, LorenW said:

Although I have admittedly dodged a few serious firmware bullets (and am wary of its known regenerative braking downhill issue when fully charged), I have to say that my Ninebot one e+ has been very stable and has never shut down unexpectedly on me in the year or so I've had it. I weigh 100kg and typically ride at its top speed... just shy of tilt back, and have done so for nearly 500 kilometers worth of riding.

I am really hoping that the new Gotways turn out to be stable. I would love to add a Gotway to my EUC family!

I have the MCM2s and the MCM4s. Both are very reliable.

• 3 years later...
9 hours ago, Ignazzio said:

Hi guys! You know some place to buy a new ACM 16 Shell nowadays? Thks! 

Hi, 

I still have a new shell for the acm 1600wh or for 820wh version. 

Send me an pm if interested. 

Thanks, 

Lars 

• Like 1