Leaperkim Sherman L 151V 4000wh 20" 102lbs

1 hour ago, Duster said:

I think there could be two possibilities: 1) the motor windings, and maybe even the firmware, are tuned to give more of a torque-y response than on the Lynx; or 2) the added torque is to compensate for the extra weight the SL has over the Lynx, making their torque differences result in similar performance.

Either way, Leaperkim is suggesting the extra weight affects the rider, suspension, and wind resistance more than it should affect the acceleration and deceleration. But, of course, real-world results will vary

i don't mind the extra weight and better knobby tire maybe. 

i wouldn't have thought so awhile back, but the v13's do the best on my cattle pastures. at 120pounds and the huge stock knobby, it will crush cow turds and pine cones, but the lynxes would or might go down depending on the angle of attack. 

i'm just standing on the pedals so there's no perception of weight and the v13's handle nicely. i think the v13's will eventually be the naturally faster wheel around my ranch. i just got a 6' bush hog delivered so i can mow better and add more trails.

5 hours ago, jmsjms said:

Can someone give more detail about the unplugged wires:

The EUC will not cut off only when that specific wire is disconnected or cut off? It will come to a stop when the batteries drain even without the wire being connected?

Only that wire, or more wires? Will it not cut off even if a bunch of more wires are disconnected or severed?

The Lynx and the ET Max had a similar but less advanced feature?

The wire that was unplugged is the hall sensor which is essential to operating the motor, what they are demonstrating is that even if the hall sensor fails the software will pick that up and act as a backup so that motor will not disengage.

Lynx also has this feature but it looks like they refined it further, Lynx will disengage the motor once you reach very low speeds (guesstimate around 5kmh) while Sherman L will keep balancing, they will backport this software feature to their other wheels as well.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, DjPanJan said:

120kg max so disapointing!

It won't explode if you are slightly above it. Wouldn't push it too much though, but pretty soon after exceeding 120kg I would think riding becomes difficult anyways. Unless you happen to just be buff as shit and like above 2m tall.

1 hour ago, Rawnei said:

“20-ish kph more and 40% more torque” - It was clearly only 15kph more and very probably not even close to 40% more torque, I don’t believe a word coming out of his mouth.

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, Rawnei said:

The wire that was unplugged is the hall sensor which is essential to operating the motor, what they are demonstrating is that even if the hall sensor fails the software will pick that up and act as a backup so that motor will not disengage.

Lynx also has this feature but it looks like they refined it further, Lynx will disengage the motor once you reach very low speeds (guesstimate around 5kmh) while Sherman L will keep balancing, they will backport this software feature to their other wheels as well.

21 hours ago, Merkyu Kyu Kyu said:

It will not cutout if you cut all wires and leave only phase ones. If you cut phase wires, it will cutout. In that particular video, he cuts hall sensor wires. The hall sensor is crucial for calculating wheel orientation so it stays in the correct position. Veteran Abrams had a problem with the hall sensors, which caused many cutouts. Leaperkim has been working on this issue for a long time, and they found a way to keep euc in the working state even if all hall sensor wires are disconnected. That's a big step forward in safety.

Sorry, I don't have engineering background to understand enough. I also watched Electric Dreams' comments about the hall sensor, but it still escapes me why is that hall sensor wire the focus of attention when there are other hundreds of wires than can also malfunction (by getting moisture or wearing out 5-10 years down the road). Is a 10-year-old Sherman L with 100,000 miles on it not susceptible to cutting out because some wire other than the hall sensor wire got damaged? Can all wires have the same feature, or is that many years ahead of time yet?

Also, is this hall sensor wire feature going to resolve the issue with the wireless interference that couple or so Lynx users had -- when their Lynx cut out?

35 minutes ago, jmsjms said:

it still escapes me why is that hall sensor wire the focus of attention when there are other hundreds of wires than can also malfunction (by getting moisture or wearing out 5-10 years down the road)

I'm no engineering expert, but from what I've noticed, hall sensor failures are a common concern within the community. Like you're saying, there are likely plenty of other errors or failures that could cause wheel to cut-out without any implemented fail safes, but this fix is one of many that address issues that could occur at low mileage and ruin someone's trust in their wheel and Leaperkim overall. For example, I believe Leaperkim have developed the capacity to ride your wheel even if one of the batteries fail. The display will show you which side the failed battery is on, but it will let you continue riding so you can get home, albeit with less range and probably less performance as you're relying on likely half your normal battery power (only being able to use the batteries on the left or right side of the wheel, depending on which side solely reports the failure). Other manufacturers may have implemented this solution as well, but the point is you won't be stranded if you have that kind of battery failure, whereas earlier wheels would either cut-out and/or refuse to turn on again until you replace the batteries.

Likewise, this hall sensor fix is another great advancement. Prior to this, riders would be out of luck if their hall sensors failed mid-ride, either crashing and/or being stranded. Now, that's one less thing to worry about.

It's possible more fail safes like this could be implemented with enough time and research. For now, though, this advancement is like that of smart BMSs: a great innovation that increases our sense of safety while riding these wonderful works of physics!

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Rawnei said:

Oh hell yeah. Metallic handle. More battery. Extra safety features. Looks rugged too. With only a little more weight? Well done LeaperKim.

Also, not sure about tubeless tires, but inner tubes can be a pain as I've experienced with EUCs. If the tubeless tires feel good, I say that's a plus, right?

Edited by BKW

30 minutes ago, Clem604 said:

Just spoke with someone at Eevees and I was told that they just received their demo unit. I'm going to have to go check it out soon and report back.

Thanks.

I know Gabe has been testing the Sherman L, but I didn't know the Sherman L was available for demoing. Good to know. Thanks.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, jmsjms said:

Sorry, I don't have engineering background to understand enough.

In layman's terms, at least if you are a car guy, it's equivalent to the timing chain breaking. Typically, the pistons would smash into the valves due to mistiming in interference engines. And the engine seizes.

In the case of a BLDC electric motor, the poles of the electromagnets in the stator can no longer be in sync with the poles of the permanent magnets in the  rotor. The controller can no longer know the positioning of the rotor relative to the stator anymore, and thus can no longer keep the poles of the magnets in proper sync to produce torque. And hence, the motor will stop functioning. And the rider would suffer a cutout.

Edited by techyiam

1 hour ago, techyiam said:

Thanks.

I know Gabe has been testing the Sherman L, but I didn't know the Sherman L was available for demoing. Good to know. Thanks.

I don't know if its available for demo's yet but they just got it today I think.

Edited by Clem604
  • Like 1

I'm not in a hurry to buy a wheel these days, but this is probably my placeholder next wheel until something better comes up, I have a feeling there's a few more announcements to come, before I make a purchasing decision. 

I absolutely hate the trolley handle but besides that it's almost perfect, certainly wheel of the year so far just for the hall sensor safety feature (which older models also get!) 
I love the design, the handles and the wide battery packs allowing for better pad placement than the thin battery packs Lynx.
I almost need someone to come up with a 2nd hand trolley handle because not having a retractable trolley handle is just a big problem for me, because I need it to hold my helmet and the handle for my plastic shopping basket, so it functions like a trailer lol. 
4798_Shopping_Trolley_Baskets_55_Litre_Red-295074072.thumb.png.276b02d1bc17e2d643d50a1804d66df4.png

54 minutes ago, xiiijojjo said:

I'm not in a hurry to buy a wheel these days, but this is probably my placeholder next wheel until something better comes up, I have a feeling there's a few more announcements to come, before I make a purchasing decision. 

I absolutely hate the trolley handle but besides that it's almost perfect, certainly wheel of the year so far just for the hall sensor safety feature (which older models also get!) 
I love the design, the handles and the wide battery packs allowing for better pad placement than the thin battery packs Lynx.
I almost need someone to come up with a 2nd hand trolley handle because not having a retractable trolley handle is just a big problem for me, because I need it to hold my helmet and the handle for my plastic shopping basket, so it functions like a trailer lol. 

Plus, even in Europe or anywhere else on this planet for that matter, you won't have to worry about cops citing you for having a too powerful motor, nor that it is illegal to go on sidewalks.

2 hours ago, Clem604 said:

I don't know if its available for demo's yet but they just got it today I think.

Gabe posted a picture of the Sherman-L in its shipping box yesterday at around 5:30 pm at eevees.

Actually, Gabe is looking for someone to lend him a Sherman-S to compare with. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, jmsjms said:

Also, is this hall sensor wire feature going to resolve the issue with the wireless interference that couple or so Lynx users had -- when their Lynx cut out?

From what I heard from people at Telegram is that they redesigned and improved the electronic circuit to fix interference issues.

But regardless of that the I haven't heard of anyone cutting out on the Lynx from EMI since they released that firmware fix.

7 hours ago, xiiijojjo said:

4798_Shopping_Trolley_Baskets_55_Litre_Red-295074072.thumb.png.276b02d1bc17e2d643d50a1804d66df4.png

You can at least get your helmet on the trolley handle. Might be able to put the shopping basket handle on it as well, if it is tall enough that is.

I have been doing fine with the sherman s trolley handle, it's a lot more foolproof than the retractable ones, and you get used to it pretty quickly. Also when shopping I just carry a basket on my other hand, not one of those big ones in your picture though. Fully load one of those bad boys up and your backpack aint gonna be enough to get it all home, and riding with shopping bags is something I like to try and avoid.

Bummer that the acceleration assist is just the wheel tilting the pedals forward a little bit. Don't know what I expected, but it wasn't exactly that. It sounds like it's pretty much the same as adjusting the pedal hardness.

Gotta stop watching videos about it though before I notice myself having it on preorder. If SS gets the hall sensorless feature in a FW upgrade, I got basically 0 need for this. I just hope it gets it in a FW update and it does not require any new hardware, but I have my doubts...

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Anthraksi said:

You can at least get your helmet on the trolley handle. Might be able to put the shopping basket handle on it as well, if it is tall enough that is.

I have been doing fine with the sherman s trolley handle, it's a lot more foolproof than the retractable ones, and you get used to it pretty quickly. Also when shopping I just carry a basket on my other hand, not one of those big ones in your picture though. Fully load one of those bad boys up and your backpack aint gonna be enough to get it all home, and riding with shopping bags is something I like to try and avoid.

Bummer that the acceleration assist is just the wheel tilting the pedals forward a little bit. Don't know what I expected, but it wasn't exactly that. It sounds like it's pretty much the same as adjusting the pedal hardness.

Gotta stop watching videos about it though before I notice myself having it on preorder. If SS gets the hall sensorless feature in a FW upgrade, I got basically 0 need for this. I just hope it gets it in a FW update and it does not require any new hardware, but I have my doubts...

Yeah I always grab the handheld plastic shopping basket whenever available, but they're getting rare, increasingly I only see the big ones like in my picture... I think it's a way to manipulate consumers to spend more, by filling up that bigger basket. 

So the acceleration assist is just Gotway soft-medium mode essentially? 

Yeah I agree, I won't allow myself to get too hyped, jumping the gun on an expensive wheel, I'm gonna have to deal with for half a decade ideally. I need to see what issues arise over time too, if any.