Begode EX20 did a complete reset after a crash?!

I recently crashed my EX20 pretty hard - I wasn't going very fast but it fell directly onto some large rocks (boy was I glad I was wearing wrist guards and a helmet!) and when I switched it on again it wouldnt go faster than 20km/h, it started to tilt back above that speed.

At first I was worried that two or three of the  battery packs had become disconnected (90 kilometers from my home!) but when I connected the wheel to and looked at the Begode app I realized that somehow a 20km/h speed limit had been installed, which hadnt been there before and which I removed with the app.

It also suddenly started beeping at 30km/h  - the typical Begode speed warning beeps which I had also disabled and which had suddenly been reinstalled. I switched those off too.

I noticed the biggest kicker only when I was back home and had done a few short tours though - the odometer had been completely reset, too! I must have had over 4.000 kilometers on the wheel and suddenly the total distance was back to like 180km again! That was just the distance I had ridden after the crash.

The rear light with the brake light and the different colors also stopped working after the crash for a while, but when I went for a short ride today it had apparently fixed itself and was working again.

Does anybody know what could have caused that? It is pretty concerning, to say the least. I kinda want to be able to trust the elctronics in my wheel, they are literally the only thing keeping me upright...

• Sad 1

Has this seriously never happened to anyone before? I can hardly believe that...? Is it even possible to do this intentionally?!

Begode being Begode - what do you want? 

You where going to fast and it said enough. :D Also one should never trust a device that gives a faceplant - when it stops working.

Edited by Funky

2 hours ago, Funky said:

Also one should never trust a device that gives a faceplant - when it stops working.

Not strictly true I'd say. If you have a good idea why the cutout occurred it can still be a sensible decision to trust them again. The EX20 is something of a tank in the build department - it should be able to survive a modest crash or 2...

All humour aside, that is an intriguing case. I agree that in a typical crash we do not expect machines to reset data like that but I do not know enough about the architecture of those mainboards to speculate what may have happened there...

5 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

Not strictly true I'd say. If you have a good idea why the cutout occurred it can still be a sensible decision to trust them again. The EX20 is something of a tank in the build department - it should be able to survive a modest crash or 2...

All humour aside, that is an intriguing case. I agree that in a typical crash we do not expect machines to reset data like that but I do not know enough about the architecture of those mainboards to speculate what may have happened there...

In general... Wasn't talking about his cutout. As i have zero idea what happened there. But in general - if wheel stops working suddenly mid ride, the rider will crash. And by that logic one should never 100% trust the wheel. Aka trusting the electronics that are keeping us up.

Edited by Funky

It didnt stop working, I was riding up a pretty steep incline with a bunch of fist sized, loose rocks and one of them must have slipped and it was more than the wheel could compensate for.  It could have happened with any wheel. I should have stepped off and walked the wheel up the couple of meters but I was too proud.

• Upvote 1

On 2/19/2024 at 1:34 PM, mhpr262 said:

Has this seriously never happened to anyone before? I can hardly believe that...?

Similar thing happened to my T4, at least as far as the mileage resetting. I dropped the wheel at low speed but it was a big impact. Only had about 80km on wheel, but after crash it showed zero. Haven't been using wheel since because of Winter. Was worried about batteries, thinking it must have been a big impact to cause reset? But probably just going to continue riding it when weather improves. Really weird though.

Sure you didn't connect to the wheel with a different app than you normally use, after the crash?

I set up my wheel with the Begode app but if I happen to go into the wheel settings in Eucworld, they look all wrong. It's not a long stretch of the imagination that another app can reset a lot of those settings.

Edited by alcatraz

12 minutes ago, alcatraz said:

if I happen to go into the wheel settings in Eucworld, they look all wrong.

They can look wrong because the wheel doesn't 'send' any settings data. So if you change something in the Begode app and then open EUC World it won't sync to the wheel settings you made in the Begode app. Further, nor will EUCW send anything unless you ask it to so I think even switching apps is highly unlikely to cause this problem. I'm pretty sure neither app can reset the odo either.

As an aside, due to the above I always suggest sticking with one app so you know the settings you are looking at is what is actually in the wheel. I only use the Begode app for FW updates or to switch modes (off-road/race). Everything else is EUCW and if I ever open it after using the Begode app for something I always check every setting to make sure things are still how I want them, specifically 80% warnings/tilt back settings just in case the Begode app sent some changes when previously fired up.