Veteran Sherman not turning on with button, but with charger plugged in everything ok

Hi all

I bought a Veteran Sherman for 200 which does not turn on (gamble i know). If you plug in the charger the device does turn on, I can then connect it to my phone without problem. Everything seems to work ok when plugged in (I even updated the firmware). The battery shows a full charge and in the app the battery also shows it's fully charged. I don't know if you can shut off the wheel when it is plugged into the charger, but the on/off button doesn't do anything when it's plugged in. All other buttons like the light, etc do work.

When I unplug the charger, the wheel says on the display OFF for a few seconds and it shuts down. When trying to turn it on with the button nothing happens. 

The seller says the wheel was riding fine and he came home from a wet trip when the wheel started making beeping noises and he was unable to turn it on afterwards.

Does anyone have had the same issue? Can you turn off the wheel if the charger is plugged in (so it's possibly the button)? Any suggestions before I start tearing into the wheel with my multimeter?

Thanks alot in advance!

Jasper

• Like 2

Not sure. Just be careful. These things are firebombs if you do something strange with the electronics. Best to tinker with it outdoors. GL

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

If you're lucky it's just the board on top with the buttons and the display, it's not very expensive. It's been known to be sensitive to water ingress, even the later improved versions. At worst you could replace the motherboard and it would still be an excellent price for a Sherman. (Or you can sell it to me if you want to get rid of it!)

And as BKW mentioned be careful, the batteries are powerful and should not be shorted, and even when the batteries are disconnected there is a high current in the capacitors (the large brown cylinders on the board). If they have been wet it can be dangerous, more on that lower down.

Probably you could just replace the top board while avoiding touching anything.

The Sherman isn't too bad in weather in general, but you should probably take off the side covers (no need to take off the pedals slide firmly and carefully upward while pushing in a little in the center) to look for traces of water ingress around the batteries. Water that enter through the trolley should be able to travel down and out without entering the packs but have a look around, water inside the packs (-> rust) is very dangerous.

If you manage to get it working consider doing a couple of fixes on the side panels if it's not done yet: removing some of the ribs and adding some spacers to keep it from mashing on the batteries. (You'll find the info around here)

Edited by null
  • Like 1

You have a nearly fully functioning Sherman for $200. Nice :cheers:

Sherman's always turn on when they are being charged, but they do not balance. The fact that it turns on and you can connect to it, update firmware, etc. means that the control board is perfect.

The problem is in the display module which includes the buttons. There's water in there. How long ago did the seller last ride it? But in any case, you can remove the top panel (which includes the display & display sub-board) and place it in a warm area (maybe an oven that's been warmed to ~100° Fahrenheit and then turned off) to get any remnants  of moisture out of the switches. Warm it for a day or so.

Ultimately, if you can't get it to work then buy a replacement panel (not a lot of money).

Depending on your technical skill level, I could show you how to bypass the front panel and turn on the wheel so that it would balance, but that would just be a proof of concept. You still need to have a functioning top panel.

Good luck.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Speaking of reviving the top board @Kuji Rolls did it with WD40 (or some equivalent) to get the water out of the switch AFAIK. Probably not a durable solution as the oil might eat on the plastics but it worked for his purpose of riding a few days.

Edited by null

Hi guys, thanks for all joining in!

I was able to open the board cover and took some pictures. From what I found on the net I think it's the V3 version with the waterproof display. Please do correct me if I'm wrong! Absolutely no water on the inernal display whatsoever. I'm a watchmaker of trade and put it under my microscope, zero water ingress.

However I have found some really really suspect ducktape on the cables of the motherboard which have me worried. I don't dare to touch it because of all the warnings. Could the battery just be dead? The red LED on the board is always on when plugged in, the blue one blinks...

Taking it to a friend who is an electrician and told me he can check it out. Any tips would be so very welcome. I'll keep you posted.

Thanks all

20240206_221124.jpg

20240206_221448.jpg

20240206_221631.jpg

20240206_213245.jpg

20240206_213249.jpg

20240206_214234.jpg

20240206_214242.jpg

20240206_215224.jpg

• Like 1

The "waterproof" top cover haven't proven 100% waterproof from what I've read, so there might still be a chance it's the top board. I would suggest you try Marty's suggestion of whatever the method to bypass the power button.

However: I see the cables of the Hall sensor looks damaged  (I don't understand why people aren't more careful with fragile electronics that move them at speed). The hall sensor is what senses the magnets passing by in the motor, making sure the mother board knows what the motor is actually doing.

If the damage is just to the sleeving and not the copper wires you could probably just protect it with silicone and electrical tape to make it stronger, but so it's said, if those cables ruptures or shorts while you ride the EUC will probably cut and throw you off.

Edited by null
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Mushroom said:

Hi guys, thanks for all joining in!

I was able to open the board cover and took some pictures. From what I found on the net I think it's the V3 version with the waterproof display. Please do correct me if I'm wrong! Absolutely no water on the inernal display whatsoever. I'm a watchmaker of trade and put it under my microscope, zero water ingress.

However I have found some really really suspect ducktape on the cables of the motherboard which have me worried. I don't dare to touch it because of all the warnings. Could the battery just be dead? The red LED on the board is always on when plugged in, the blue one blinks...

Taking it to a friend who is an electrician and told me he can check it out. Any tips would be so very welcome. I'll keep you posted.

Thanks all

20240206_214242.jpg

Battery dead? There is no "watch" type battery in the Sherman.

Your issue is either the display board (don't believe any propaganda about it being waterproof :lol:) or the ribbon cable that connects to the control board. I don't see how you can say that there's no water in the display board area unless you've totally disassembled it and inspected the switches.

Momentarily short the 4th and 5th pins in the ribbon cable shown above to turn on or off the wheel. Pin 1 would be closest to the top of the above picture. Assuming that the wheel turns on/off you then have confirmation that you either need to fully dry the internals of the display assembly or buy a new one.

Edited by Marty Backe
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Mushroom said:

I'm going to order a new screen. Can't believe it was just the button!

Wouldn't be better to just replace the button? It's a typical component, very cheap and widely available in electronic parts stores. If you don't have experience with soldering you can ask someone who has. It's a 3 minute repair, trust me :)

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Mushroom said:

Dear Marty and rest,

I owe you big time! Shorting those two made the beast come to life. It immediately self balanced and is now turned on next to me. I'm so happy thank you! I'm going to order a new screen. Can't believe it was just the button!

This community is amazing!!!

Thank you all.

Cool. Glad your mystery is resolved. For very little money you got a killer wheel :cheers:

• Like 2