First Wheel Advice

Hello,

I'm on the verge of purchasing my first Electric Unicycle (EUC) but find myself in a bit of a dilemma regarding the best choice for a first wheel.

Currently, my options are the Kingsong KS-16X, KS18XL, and S16 (both PRO and NON-PRO versions); and the Inmotion V8S, V11Y, V12HT.

Considering my weight is around 68kg, I'm looking for a wheel that offers substantial range. Given it's my inaugural foray into EUCs, I'm seeking advice on the most suitable model to start with. The possibility of reselling is slim since the EUC market in Portugal is quite niche.

Should I start off with a V8S and later transition to a model with suspension like the S16? Or, would it be more prudent to opt for the Kingsong KS-16X and bypass the suspension feature altogether for a while till I gain experience?

Alternatively, is diving straight into the S16 a viable option, despite the risks associated with it being a first batch model, the absence of long-term reviews and above 30kg?

Your insights would be greatly appreciated.

• Like 1

Hi Chaps, and welcome to the forum. If I were buying a first wheel “ all over again”,  ( I chose the 16s) I would go for a little more wheel. Many riders here loved the 16x AND the 18xl.  Those models have a good track record. 1st batch wheels tend to have problems.

Best,

• Like 3

Whatever you choose you will have a fun time riding so don’t worry too much.  

I went the used route via eBay as my first wheel so I didn’t care if I dropped it and I did that a lot while learning.  That way I could also see if i enjoyed riding and what I wanted from my next wheel. 

• Like 2

I have both 16x and 18xl and both are reliable, have good range and easy to learn on. Got a Veteran Sherman S not too long ago, unless you do a lot of off-road riding, you don't really need the suspension feature or pay the extra bucks for a suspension wheel, though suspension seems to be the trend. 

• Thanks 1

Welcome to the forum! Where in Portugal are you located? I will be visiting there later this year.

The V5/8, 16S/X, or other older models like the Ninebot One series (E+ or S) or even Gotway ACM/MCM/MSuper are OK for learning but will quickly lose their appeal and have many other limitations compared to newer wheels. Those wheels are battle-tested, and if you can find a reliable and cheap ( $300USD or less) one I'd say go for it. You can always resell it to another new rider or keep it around for friends, family, and emergencies.

If you are near certain you have the environment, lifestyle, and commitment to ride often, take the plunge on a recent suspension wheel. I really like my S22 Pro, and with the latest suspension, motor, and battery (50S) upgrades, it is an overall great option.

Edited by litewave
  • Like 1

Hey. :) 

Some questions:

Do you have to carry your wheel a lot? Any stair cases and things like that? Will it be your "daily driver"? Or just for "fun"?

What speeds do you wanna travel mainly? And what ranges do you think you will need about?

You need to give us some information - so we can help and advice on which wheel to get... Give us something to work with. Otherwise any wheel will do the job of riding.

Edited by Funky
  • Like 1

get a used V8, doesnt matter which model it is....the cheaper the better... ride the heck out of it till it falls apart....crash it drop it, do whatever you need to do to get familiar with riding an euc and of course,  taking a few spills along the way.  after that,  get yourself a nice brand new euc after initiating yourself on a throw away.  by that time, you may be looking at a suspended high performance medium range euc...:thumbup: ,  dont be in a hurry ... this activity is not going away yet...

Edited by bpong
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/5/2024 at 6:55 PM, litewave said:

Welcome to the forum! Where in Portugal are you located? I will be visiting there later this year.

The V5/8, 16S/X, or other older models like the Ninebot One series (E+ or S) or even Gotway ACM/MCM/MSuper are OK for learning but will quickly lose their appeal and have many other limitations compared to newer wheels. Those wheels are battle-tested, and if you can find a reliable and cheap ( $300USD or less) one I'd say go for it. You can always resell it to another new rider or keep it around for friends, family, and emergencies.

If you are near certain you have the environment, lifestyle, and commitment to ride often, take the plunge on a recent suspension wheel. I really like my S22 Pro, and with the latest suspension, motor, and battery (50S) upgrades, it is an overall great option.

Great, hope you have a good time here! Right now I am living near Lisbon (more precisely between Lisbon and Setúbal), but I already lived in other cities in Portugal from North to South. Let me known if you need some tips and recommendations for your staying here. Feel free to ask.   

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, chaps said:

Hello everyone,

Thank you for all the valuable feedback and insights. I carefully considered each response before making my decision, and I've chosen to purchase the Kingsong KS16X. While exploring used options, I encountered an Inmotion V12 and an Airwheel, but neither swayed my choices. Based on the collective advice, I understand that suspension isn't essential for a beginner's wheel, so I quickly moved past that feature.

Aesthetically, the KS16X stands out as one of my top preferences, especially after comparing the images since I haven't any in person. I managed to buy it new at a discounted rate, and there's a potential for additional savings through a local electric mobility incentive program (though it's not guaranteed, I'm hopeful it will be available this year, despite the current political climate here...).

I'm aware there's a risk in learning to ride on a brand-new wheel, but I will try to protect it as much as possible. 

Now, I'm eagerly awaiting the arrival of the wheel, which should be within one or two weeks. After four years.... I'm finally going to get it, I am thrilled.

Thank you again for helping me.

Cover your wheel in some carboard boxes or shower mat and duct tape it all around the wheel while learning - that way you won't scrape/damage the wheel that much.

My wheel looked like big white bag for the first week while i was learning. :D Yes it looks dumb as F.. But who cares.. At least your wheel will look better at the end. After all those crashes/slow speed drops.

Edited by Funky
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, chaps said:

I've chosen to purchase the Kingsong KS16X

Congratulations! That’s a great wheel. Decent all rounder. Have fun, post about your progress! 

• Thanks 1