From an EUC perspective, where you retire to?

I have actually considered this. Coming from Finland the main issue is ability to ride all year round. Second issue is legislation and third is bike trails. So maybe Spain or Portugal.
A few years to go still. 

well, according to this, everybody is moving here. 

and with me building "wheel world" here next to cypress creek town center with a network of multiuse paths segregated from cars and trucks, i'd say right here in wheel world is the best place on the planet to live. 

i'd move if it wasn't. 5 years or less and it will really take shape. multiuse path network has already begun. florida is on fire!

https://www.tampabeacon.com/pasco_county/more-folks-coming-than-going-in-wesley-chapel-study-says/article_d8276f96-b707-11ee-9f83-f7ad4f4e7138.html

• Like 1

I remain in perma-jealously mode every time I watch those SoCal guys gliding themselves gracefully everywhere, on their immaculate PEV infrastructure with their deca-miles of uninterrupted perfect cycleways, which seamlessly transition into glorious mountain roads, paths and trails, and it's all just so much... BETTER and so much more of it !! Not to mention they don't seem to have the perma-wind and rain that we Brits get a lot of the time (not today tho I note !) but to be honest, they do look kinda hot and sweaty most of the time !

I think I'd like to retire there if I could find a bit that wasn't TOO hot, and presuming they'd let me in at all !

Over here, in the UK, where we are packed in much more tightly to far less space, you'd think our own PEV infrastructure would be better, but no - it can best be described as 'formative' or 'foundational' at best. And we just can't build roads like Americans can it seems. Ours start potholing about 5 minutes after they have been layed, whereas US roads seem curiously immune to that sort of thing except in a few places. I live in a medium-sized 'vaguely posh' town in Hampshire, and we have ONE cycle path that runs from one side of it to the other, joins another one that takes us to the country park 7 km away and that's ya lot !!

It is perhaps one of the things I miss about smaller wheels - how easy it was to throw them in the car with a couple of wrist guards, and go to a nearby seafront city for example, but since I have had big wheels I've been much more reluctant to do that, and it is a lot more hassle, and more expensive to do now I'd have to take the ramp, and the full armour set etc etc. And the police down there don't know me, so much bigger chance of being stopped, or worse, having the wheel absconded from me !

I like the town I am in (for now) and even though my daily ride choices are a bit limited to 'the short one to the shops' or 'the longer one to the country park' I don't find the endless repetition TOO boring, but save all my videologs for when I am going up more picturesque hills and getting out of town altogether...

Edited by Cerbera
  • Upvote 1

Bentonville,  or Bella Vista (retirement community) Arkansas.

Walmart has spent over $230,000,000

On bike trails, and 100's of miles of bike paths.

EDIT: We do have winters. 4 seasons. Pretty mild mostly tho. Ozark mtns.

Edited by DumbWheel

I've always lived close to the water and thought I wouldn't be able to move away but I can see it now.  Mountains and tons of trails would be great (Cali or Colorado) but I don't see myself paying those crazy prices for homes and taxes.  I'll stay here in Florida and will say when I am down in St. Pete/Tampa area, they are very well setup for PEVs.  My city is smaller 45,000 people but spread out with crap for public transportation. Least to say, few bike lanes anywhere and with the country boys driving funny looking squatted trucks not being able to see over the dashboard, I'd have a 0% chance or survivability on my wheels in the wild here...

• Like 2

I Heard Fayetteville, Arkansas has great bike trails. 

WV has a cool program for remote workers, but the state is very hilly and everyone lives in the "Hollers" (valleys).

I'm hearing home insurance in Florida is becoming impossible due to hurricanes. 

In some towns, the bike trails have been overtaken by slow retirees walking 3-4 abreast, pets on long leashes, oblivious to the Bikes and PEVs.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GothamMike said:

walking 3-4 abreast

mini airhorn from walmart works. i have one for my boat. just a little burst.

and screw buying for retiring, just rent. cheaper.

Edited by novazeus
  • Like 1

When we've got -20 deg C, people in the south are riding in sweaters and along beaches with bathers on them. My partner works in medicine and whenever the temp drops the pressure in the ER increases, like clockwork. It clearly isn't good for health or long life.

I'm trying to decide if a summer rain season is worse than a cold winter. Because if you want a milder winter without burning in summer, it seems you have to put up with a long rain season, and cloudy skies.

Edited by alcatraz
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, alcatraz said:

When we've got -20 deg C, people in the south are riding in sweaters and along beaches with bathers on them. My partner works in medicine and whenever the temp drops the pressure in the ER increases, like clockwork. It clearly isn't good for health or long life.

I'm trying to decide if a summer rain season is worse than a cold winter. Because if you want a milder winter without burning in summer, it seems you have to put up with a long rain season, and cloudy skies.

unfortunately, it doesn't rain much down here either.

On 1/26/2024 at 11:02 PM, novazeus said:

mini airhorn from walmart works. i have one for my boat. just a little burst.

and screw buying for retiring, just rent. cheaper.

Especially when you are escaping the cold for a few weeks.

going over the notes from my pre-mpud app mtg, i discovered this upon further research. 

proud of my county for this.

in case u don't want to read all of it, this part kinda pertains to us, haha. maybe better to stay in the gray zone. i like the single file stuff.

i'm thrilled they have addressed this and have done all this legwork for me.

Mobility Trends
Electric Bicycles
Electric Bicycles, or E-bikes, are an increasingly popular option for people looking to explore trails. They are like a standard bicycle in appearance and operation but have a small electric motor that assists the rider by adding power to the wheels. E-bikes are generally either pedal-assist, where the motor is engaged by pedaling and cuts off at a designated top speed, or throttle controlled, where the motor is engaged even if the rider is not pedaling. The State of Florida has the following three classes of E-bikes:
• Class 1 E-Bike – A Class 1 E-bike operates on a pedal assist mechanism that works when the rider is actively pedaling. Class 1 E-bikes can reach speeds up to 20 mph.
• Class 2 E-Bike – A Class 2 E-bike has throttle assist in place of pedal assistance; this allows the bike to move forward even if the rider is not actively pedaling. Like Class 1, Class 2 E-bikes are capable of speeds up to 20 mph.
• Class 3 E-Bike – Capable of speeds up to 28 mph, Class 3 E-bikes utilize a pedal assist system, like Class 1, to help power the bike while the rider is actively pedaling.
The State of Florida permits E-bike usage anywhere standard bicycles are allowed, including roads, bike lanes, shared use path, and trails. Rules for trail riding can be regulated by jurisdiction and by the type of trail, for example, the Florida DEP permits Class 1 E-bikes in all areas where normal bicycles are permitted.
Greenways, Trails, and Blueways Master Plan 69

Golf Carts and Low-Speed Vehicles
The State of Florida defines golf carts in Florida Statutes 320.01 (22) as a motor vehicle that is designed and manufactured for operation on a golf course for sporting or recreational purposes and that is not capable of exceeding speeds of 20 mph. Meanwhile, according to the Florida Statutes 320.01 (42), a low-speed vehicle (LSV) is defined as any four-wheel vehicle with a top speed that can travel faster than 20 mph but less than 25 mph. So, while many vehicles are marketed and sold as golf carts, they are technically LSVs. The State permits the use of golf carts and LSVs on local residential neighborhood streets, one distinction between the two is that LSVs are allowed to operate on any public road with a speed limit no higher than 35 mph where golf carts must avoid public roadways except to cross a highway if it divides a neighborhood, trailer park, or golf course. Golf carts and LSVs are not allowed to be driven on sidewalks, bike paths, or trails unless otherwise permitted by local ordinance.
Trail Etiquette and User Behavior
All greenway, trail, and blueway users have responsibilities for the safety of themselves and of the others that they are sharing space with. People riding bicycles are generally the fastest users on trails and should consider their speed to not startle other users, particularly those who may be more vulnerable to injury or have reduced sight, hearing, or mobility. While not necessarily design guidelines, guidance and reminders on how different users should use the GTB system, beyond the formal rules established in the County’s Code of Ordinance, Chapter 70, is provided as follows:
Bike Riders
• Pass on the left – be sure that when you are passing another trail users, stay on their left side and move to the right after you have safely passed them. Call out “passing on your left” or use a bell to alert them without startling the person you are passing.
• Pull completely off the trail if you need to stop – by pulling off the trail, you reduce trail congestion and you are less likely to impede other trail traffic.
• Wear a helmet – it’s required for children under 16 years of age and it’s a good idea for adults as well.
• Obey all traffic signs – be sure to obey all trail traffic signs and follow any detour signs. Make sure you
watch for vehicular traffic when trails intersect and cross a roadway.
• Pay attention when you ride – avoid wearing headphones and make sure you keep your eyes on the
trail to look for potential hazards. Stay in your lane or side of the trail.
• Ride in single file – even if you are in a group, riding in single file helps keep the trail clear of congestion
and reduces the chance of a collision.
• Pay attention to your speed – many trails are not designed for extreme biking and excessive speeds
and riding too fast can be a hazard to you and those around you.
• Stay on the paved trail – bicycles should stay on the paved portion of trails (when applicable) to avoid
impacts to vegetation and trail edges.
• Watch for maintenance workers – mowing and maintenance staff are there to keep the trail clean, safe,
and attractive. Proceed with caution where they are working for their safety and yours.
Greenways, Trails, and Blueways Master Plan 70

Pedestrians
• Use the right side – walkers, joggers, runners, strollers, and other pedestrians should move with the flow of trail traffic; keep right, pass left rule.
• Stay in single file – this reduces trail congestion and the risk of straying into the path of other users.
• Keep your dog on a short leash – dogs should be under control and not be allowed to roam on longer
or retractable leashes, a leash with a maximum length of six feet is preferred.
• Clean up after your dog – dog owners are required to clean up after their dog, doing so helps keep the
trail area clean for all users.
Other Trail Users
• Skaters – when skating (roller skating, in-line skating, and skateboarding) is permitted, skaters should adhere to the same guidelines as bicyclists.
• Equestrians – be sure to let people know when it is safe to pass your horse when you encounter other trail users. It is recommended that equestrians wear helmets and only use the trails during daylight hours to avoid potential hazards or obstacles that may be hidden from view in the dark.
Everyone
• Please do not litter – keep our trails clean, safe, and attractive for everyone. Put your trash in trash cans or carry out any trash.
• Share the trails – the trail system is for everyone, please be respectful and courteous to fellow users.

https://cms1files.revize.com/pasco/Documents/Services/Parks Recreation and Natural Resources/Greenways Trails and Master Plan/PRNR - GTB Master Plan 091523.pdf

Edited by novazeus

What county is that? I like the rules are there for Peds as well.

EUCs fall into Class A/1 or Class 2/B in most states. 
I am starting to see “no MOTORIZED vehicles” on some trail signs. 

1 hour ago, GothamMike said:

What county is that? I like the rules are there for Peds as well.

EUCs fall into Class A/1 or Class 2/B in most states. 
I am starting to see “no MOTORIZED vehicles” on some trail signs. 

my county. pasco. i'm on the southern border a stone's throw from city of tampa boundaries. 

first time wesley chapel supassed the villages of number one spot people are moving to.

https://www.tampabeacon.com/pasco_county/more-folks-coming-than-going-in-wesley-chapel-study-says/article_d8276f96-b707-11ee-9f83-f7ad4f4e7138.html

Edited by novazeus

On 1/26/2024 at 12:05 PM, Bigkidneys said:

I've always lived close to the water and thought I wouldn't be able to move away but I can see it now.  Mountains and tons of trails would be great (Cali or Colorado) but I don't see myself paying those crazy prices for homes and taxes.  I'll stay here in Florida and will say when I am down in St. Pete/Tampa area, they are very well setup for PEVs.  My city is smaller 45,000 people but spread out with crap for public transportation. Least to say, few bike lanes anywhere and with the country boys driving funny looking squatted trucks not being able to see over the dashboard, I'd have a 0% chance or survivability on my wheels in the wild here...

I moved to CO a few months ago. I was shocked by the number of trails, paved and unpaved, through the hills and mountains. When there isn't 8 inches of snow on the ground. And lots of great breweries to stop along the way!

• Like 2

15 hours ago, novazeus said:

my county. pasco. i'm on the southern border a stone's throw from city of tampa boundaries. 

first time wesley chapel supassed the villages of number one spot people are moving to.

I hear storm insurance is pricey.

9 minutes ago, GothamMike said:

I hear storm insurance is pricey.

idk, never bought any. i think it depends on where u live. for instance, i'm gonna build some kind of house, and it will be self financed so not needing flood insurance, plus at 75' amsl, the rest of the county would be underwater before my yard got wet. 

idk about storm insurance. again, probably depends on ur location. years ago, my side of the interstate required hurricane rated windows, for example, and the other side of the interstate did not.