My last WARNING to all PEV riders

this is golf carts, but if wheels, e-bikes, scooters, could slide in under these rules or some variation of them, might not be terrible. 

i'd rather say, yeah, we have rules here,or can the govt create rules on something they know nothing about like wheels. kinda like they have done with cannabis.

i doubt florida has a rule on wheels.

oops, yeah they do. maybe why jason left florida.

i'd be very interested to hear what laws ur state has created applying to wheels and pev's. doesn't matter how nice wheels are, if we can't use them anywhere.

https://www.flsenate.gov/Session/Bill/2019/453/BillText/er/PDF

• Like 1

Why are pedestrians allowed on bike trails?

They walk 3-4 abreast have dogs on long leashes. They have no respect for cyclists on bike trails. Nobody has ever attempted to regulate their behavior.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

On 1/22/2024 at 8:15 PM, WILSONEUC said:

running the youtube channel and removing some of my content so the PEV community is not targeted in a negative light

damn.

I guess this post is a last warning to PEV riders in Maine, USA, rather than to all PEV riders.

8 minutes ago, GothamMike said:

There could be a bunch of reasons why this is so. The main reason I can think of is that there exists no equivalent footpath in this area.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, GothamMike said:

They walk 3-4 abreast have dogs on long leashes. They have no respect for cyclists on bike trails. Nobody has ever attempted to regulate their behavior.

I think one contributing factor is that walking is the human default.  For example, if a trail in the woods does not indicate specific modes of locomotion, walking is the most likely to be permitted. Thus, even when a trail is indicated for another mode, there are more likely to be accommodations for pedestrians than vice versa. 

On 1/12/2024 at 4:11 PM, novazeus said:

i mean, screw regulations, elon wants to go to mars, but can't figure out how to stop his product from self immolation.

one vehicle bursting into flames is too many if ur the driver.

so, here's my question. i've either lived here on the ranch, about 2/3rd's of my life, or apts and hotel rooms. hotel rooms are the best because i love the do not disturb sign and the flip side that says maid service. i'm really really lazy. 

these aren't gonna be my apts here, although i might build some here later, or a hotel even better. ur not gonna be allowed to bring ur wheel inside either. 

but there will be climatically controlled warehouse type lockers with free electricity for charging. in the apt parking lots for tenants and guests. the guest lockers could be like bus station lockers. or temporary parking where u could chain ur wheel. 

until tesla, tesla for crying out loud, can figure out how to 100% fires, i'm not expecting the wheel manufacturers to have the resources elon does. 

oh yeah, if u were an apt renter here, how much extra would u pay for a wheel garage. 

i use to rent from this same apt developer in 1999 and i paid $100 more a month for a detached garage.

and btw, this explanation by elon made perfect sense to me about charging. i have to use a gasoline generator or solar or both to push these big chargers. elon's explanation will save me alot of gas because i won't charge fully anymore.

That was very helpful. TY!

• Upvote 1

On 1/10/2024 at 4:56 PM, Parker Noodles said:

What the bill actually does isn't unreasonable. (Full text of NH HB1543)

• "Any person over 16 years of age or older who does not hold a driver's license and who operates a PEV shall, prior to operation, complete an online PEV safety course developed by the department of motor vehicles."

• "No person shall operate a PEV over 5 miles per hour on sidewalks, walkways, or walking trails, which for the purposes of this paragraph is deemed a prima facie reasonable and prudent speed for PEV travel. No person shall operate a PEV over 15 miles per hour on public rail trails, public hiking trails, and public bicycle trails."

• "No person younger than 16 years of age may operate a PEV on any public property unless he or she wears protective headgear..."

• "Any PEV operator shall wear at least one item of reflective outerwear apparel, such as a reflective vest, jacket, or helmet strip, during the period from 1/2 hour after sunset to 1/2 hour before sunrise."

• "Operation of a PEV over the speed limit is a violation and shall be punishable by a fine commensurate with any motor vehicle traveling above the speed limit."

• "Personal Electric Vehicle Registration. The department of motor vehicles shall adopt rules regarding registration of PEVs. PEVs shall display a registration plate or decal that is plainly visible. A person who operates a PEV without a driver's license or certificate required in RSA 263:19-A shall be guilty of a violation and shall be fined $50."
    • This I do take a small issue with, but at the end of the day the government is always going to find ways to tax us.

Over all, these rules will not have an impact on any reasonable riders and they can be used as examples for model legislation in other places. Furthermore, because of the "PEV safety course" and the registration it calls for I think it will actually help open up the PEV market to insurers here in the US, which is something that everyone I know wants to happen. 

We need to support this kind of legislation. We can not get by free as we have been forever, and I would much rather have these be the rules we get instead of the lunacy they deal with in Europe (or even the stuff in Santa Fe, NM). And, at the end of the day, this is unlikely to ever actually be enforced against riders who are not putting other people in danger.

But a bicycle can move faster than 15mph, doesn't have to crawl at 5mph, doesn't have to wear reflective or pads, and doesn't have taxation to be rode legally?

This seems like garbage legislation.

I  can maybe agree with some of the sentiment, but it's current speeds, taxation, and safety requirements are above and beyond. 

I'm not for reckless riding and I don't condone riding without good gear, but this is a few steps too far.

Whether you're in the USA or not, legislation like this isn't good. It sets precedent.

Edited by GottaWay

There were two bills active in the New Hampshire House of Representatives recently: 

• HB1445: "electric unicycles shall be restricted from being used on any way, sidewalk, bike path, or rail trail within the state"
  • HB1543: "No person shall operate a PEV over 15 miles per hour on public rail trails, public hiking trails, and public bicycle trails."

You can follow their status using the links above.

Both were killed ("Inexpedient to Legislate") on 30Jan2024. 

Edited by RagingGrandpa
status update
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

On 2/1/2024 at 6:35 PM, GottaWay said:

But a bicycle can move faster than 15mph, doesn't have to crawl at 5mph, doesn't have to wear reflective or pads, and doesn't have taxation to be rode legally?

This seems like garbage legislation.

Where I live, a bicycle (and e-bicycles and PEVs) can move faster than 15mph only when operated with human power exclusively, bicycles (and e-bicycles) are not allowed on sidewalks at all and bicycles (and e-bicycles) must have reflective equipment and light. There is no taxation indeed however EUCs need an insurance (which is not a tax). I don't consider this garbage legislation, not even close, and it seems to work exceptionally well in terms of user acceptance compared to the situation in other parts of the earth. I'd prefer personally if I could legally crawl on sidewalks and if EUCs wouldn't require an extra insurance.

Edited by Mono
  • Upvote 1

On 2/1/2024 at 1:50 PM, Dan Cobar said:

The first one got axed.  Lots of senior citizens using e-bikes opposed the bill, as well as a bunch of us on the PEV groups from the area.

We are now working on educating and informing the NH politicians and actively trying to guide the rule making process to create better/less rules and restrictions.

Good news!

• Like 1