The famous Roger’s SC charger (121V-168V)

OliG

Thank you for the review and all the pictures.

I've been interested in this charger (and its siblings) for a while.. It is expensive, but so are a bunch of 10A chargers.
The part where you need to create an account with Alipay to connect to it is unacceptable to me though.

edit: It is based on a Huawei PSU, that makes it utterly out of the question for me. Too bad.

Edited by null
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, null said:

Thank you for the review and all the pictures.

I've been interested in this charger (and its siblings*), while it is expensive, so are a bunch of other 10A chargers.
The part where you need to create an account with Alipay to connect to it is utterly unacceptable to me though.
Glad to know now rather than discovering it at reception. Really too bad as otherwise it seems very nice.

(* is it a Huawei base like Hou Ningning uses?)

Thanks.

Honestly the account on Alipay on iPhone is a detail. I was informed by Roger before ordering on how to use the BT feature, based on my questions for the review. So it was not a surprise not really disappointing 

As discussed with Marty, you absolutely don’t need Bluetooth app to use or configure your charger. It could be nice probably to access other parameters but honestly it will probably be something I do once to test then never after. 

For the question regarding Huawei base I don’t know. You should ask to @roghaj or in Roger’s group on Telegram. 

Edited by OliG
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, Planemo said:

Out of curiosity, can I ask why?

Because Huawei is so in bed with the Chinese government* that when the daughter of the founder was under house arrest in Canada with the worlds best lawyers on charges of HW meddling with Iran, China arrested two random Canadian and detained them in bad conditions and with no access to legal representation till "the princess of Huawei" was freed.

I'm not some sort of perfect ethical shopper, but there are limits to the evil I will support.

*Which is also why they, in particular, are held out of western infrastructure as much as possible.

Edited by null
  • Like 2

I wonder if something in similar size and features is available from better manufacturer? It’s going to be Chinese almost certainly. But I agree Huawei is better avoided. It needs Bluetooth connection also. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, UniVehje said:

I wonder if something in similar size and features is available from better manufacturer? It’s going to be Chinese almost certainly. But I agree Huawei is better avoided. It needs Bluetooth connection also. 

Just FYI if you are talking about Roger’s SC it doesn’t NEED BT. 

You can perfectly use it without using this feature. 

But maybe I don’t understand your comment. 

Note: And if you want to use this BT feature, on Android it’s an app, no need to create an account as on iOS. 

Edited by OliG
  • Like 2

For those who would like a "sound" illustration of the difference in noise between an original charger and the Roger'SC, here is an excellent video by @Marty Backe in which there can be no doubt on this topic!

3 hours ago, Frolic0415 said:

Is this another drop shipped charger? OG Roger Chargers were just rebranded Delta Chargers directly from China

I'm not sure what the point of the question is? The charger or its components are certainly made in China. In any case, mine went on to California at least to pre-tune it, test it for correct operation and add a mythical autograph from @roghaj😁

If the question is whether the charger works and meets my expectations, the answer is yes. I've been using it for all my charging since the beginning of January, and at 5A it's silent when charging my S22 or Patton. The screen allows me to retrieve the stats I need of my various recharges. What more could I ask for 😉?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, OliG said:

I'm not sure what the point of the question is? The charger or its components are certainly made in China. In any case, mine went on to California at least to pre-tune it, test it for correct operation and add a mythical autograph from @roghaj😁.

The point of the question is did Roger actually make this charger or is another one that he found in China, lied about making, put his own name on and then sold for multiple times the price of the original unit?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Frolic0415 said:

The point of the question is did Roger actually make this charger or is another one that he found in China, lied about making, put his own name on and then sold for multiple times the price of the original unit?

Nothing wrong with selling for any price he wants. I think it's a given that this charger is not made in USA and designed by him. But he seems to have sourced the suitable charger and modified cables for it etc. I don't know how much he has done to be suitable for our usage. I think the value added comes from making it available and without extra modifications. Not every EUC rider is capable or finding the correct charger directly from China and then solder a suitable cable with correct plug and right pins. I've wrecked one board by finding a seemingly suitable charger with right plug but the pins were in wrong order. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Frolic0415 said:

No, he did not, he sourced a power supply which he modded to get the current regulation we want from a charger (CC/CV phases). To be able to set the voltage and monitor charge easily he added a controller with a display. He also added better cooling and made wiring for our EUCs. It went from being just a PSU to being a handy charger fit for our use.

I really don't see the point in your deprecating tone. You didn't even read the thread or you would have known he didn't use a Delta PSU.

His price is in line with similar offerings (Hou Ningning)

edit: BTW @UniVehje I have sadly not see any other brands making PSUs this compact.. Hopefully with time there will be others, maybe using Gan.

Edited by null
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, null said:

edit: BTW @UniVehje I have sadly not see any other brands making PSUs this compact.. Hopefully with time there will be others, maybe using Gan.

Yes, they Hou's chargers are also Huawei. Hopefully Gan chargers will come available soon. 

Speaking of compact, one of Hou's charger seems to be lighter. Stock charger is very light also although quite large. For me this kind of fast charger is for taking on long journeys and weight matters more than volume. But the light version is not suitable for Lynx. I hope there's a small and light fast charger available some day. Roger's smart charger suitable for Lynx is very nice but pretty heavy also. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, null said:

No, he did not, he sourced a power supply which he modded to get the current regulation we want from a charger (CC/CV phases). To be able to set the voltage and monitor charge easily he added a controller with a display. He also added better cooling and made wiring for our EUCs. It went from being just a PSU to being a handy charger fit for our use.

I bought a Delta charger and it was identical to the Roger Charger, down to the display and voltage adjustment.

2 hours ago, null said:

I really don't see the point in your deprecating tone. You didn't even read the thread or you would have known he didn't use a Delta PSU.

I never asked if he used Delta again.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, UniVehje said:

Nothing wrong with selling for any price he wants.

I agree, of course not. I'm certainly not here to ruffle feathers by saying either is right or wrong but when GodMod sold the community what was deemed a vastly overpriced item everyone slated them. There have been others which were also outed by the community quite sharpish.

I fully appreciate that not everyone can make up a £10 charger cable or work a simple 4/5 pin wiring diagram though so there is that. As always it's up to the buyer to do with their cash as they choose.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Jumaxas said:

Does anyone in Europe sell these chargers ? 

Hello @Jumaxas

These chargers are sold directly by @roghaj  who lives in Carlifornia (Roger I hope it was not a confidential information :D).

So I don't think you will find someone selling them directly in Europe. But it's not a big issue, I received mine in 4-5 days directly from California. SO shippment is as fast as the charger itself :P

As explained in my post you can join Roger's Fast Charger Telegram group for more information about this charger and how to get one: https://t.me/+KVzCwlaU6g83Y2Vh