Kingsong 18L or 18XL, seems like all north american vendors only have old stock.

rcgldr

I'd like to buy a Kingsong 18L V2 (spiked pedals and updated upper pads), but I'm in the USA and none of the NA vendors have them. One vendor had an old 18L that they received in Feb 2022, which means it was probably built sometime in 2021 and the batteries are probably not in good shape. Some of the NA dealers are out of stock on both 18L and 18XL. The few that have them are also probably old models, as I've asked for build date codes, and they claim they don't know.

Even if I was willing to pay, EU dealers can't ship to USA, and it seems I can't special order one from a NA dealer even if I'm willing to wait 1 or 2 months for it to be shipped.

Edited by rcgldr
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Sadly it's one of the sad truths. When people want a lighter wheel, (which nowadays are only older wheels..) we don't really have an option to choose from. You get what you get..

Still it surprises me that not a single store in NA has one? Even my local small shop has the updated models of Kingsong 18XL, 16X, 16S in stock. Then again in my area the big wheels don't sell at all.

Also why batteries would not be in good shape? If wheel was regularly checked and kept around 50% charge state - it should be fine.. Some shops may even give you updated pads/pedals, if you ask. You don't know when the "cells" themselves where made.. From that viewpoint any wheel battery pack could be in not so good shape.:D 

Edited by Funky
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Funky said:

You don't know when the "cells" themselves where made.. 

Remember there was a shortage of 18650 and 2170s back then. They wouldn't be sitting in warehouses. I can't imagine they would be much older than the manufacture date of the wheel.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, rcgldr said:

Even if I was willing to pay, EU dealers can't ship to USA, and it seems I can't special order one from a NA dealer even if I'm willing to wait 1 or 2 months for it to be shipped.

I think the Australian store E-riderz has the new 18xl. I don't know if they would ship to the USA. The Aussie dollar was only worth about 63 cents US last month but has appreciated to 68, so not quite the bargain. I noticed not long ago they were selling 18xls for A$2299 (but that may have been old stock). The spike pedal 18xl is now on their website for $2999 (US$2039).

Shipping may be prohibitive, but Aussie shipping prices usually are much less than US.

22 hours ago, Funky said:

Also why batteries would not be in good shape? If wheel was regularly checked and kept around 50% charge state - it should be fine.

It's a bike shop. I sent them an email and the replied that they've never opened the box.  From other vendors I found that 18L battery pack is $960 ($480 per side).

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/29/2023 at 1:34 PM, Funky said:

lighter wheel

How much does your 18XL weigh? KingSong shows 18XL at 25.4 kg = 56 lbs, and 18L at 21.6 kg = 47.6 lbs. I wondering if their listed weight for the 18XL is high.

10 minutes ago, rcgldr said:

How much does your 18XL weigh? KingSong shows 18XL at 25.4 kg = 56 lbs, and 18L at 21.6 kg = 47.6 lbs. I wondering if their listed weight for the 18XL is high.

Mine is 26.5kg now - i got aftermarket heavier pedals and M/C tire. :) It was ~25.5kg. 18L is ~22kg round it up. :D 

1 battery pack for 18xl weights around ~3.65kg. 18xl has 1554Wh. 18l has 1000Wh? So it should be around ~2.4kg lighter.

Edited by Funky

• 5 months later...
Posted (edited)

I ended up buying an 18XL V2 (spiked pedals, power pad protrusions on upper pads) from EUCO and received it on April 25, 2024. I don't know if any other USA dealers have it yet (some still have old stock). Weight is 53 lbs. 

https://rcgldr.net/euc/18xlv2front.jpg

https://rcgldr.net/euc/18xlv2side.jpg

https://rcgldr.net/euc/18xlv2top.jpg

Edited by rcgldr
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/29/2023 at 9:38 PM, Hellkitten said:

For what it’s worth. I have a KS18L that I stored for a year. I put the batteries at 60% last December. I pulled it out the other day and it hadn’t dropped at all. I plugged it in and it fully charged back to full and I’ve been riding it. 

My KS18XL was unused for about a year. The battery level was 67% when I checked it a few days ago. I fully charged it and it seems to be fine. The level has been dropping a few percent after each (short) ride.

• 1 month later...

9 months ago I took a job that required me to drive into work, and I stopped riding for the most part. 

I did one recharge on my 18L about 4 months into it, but it was not below 25% when I did that...I think it was around 40%.

I just got back on my 18L, and both the battery and tire were in excellent shape. Man, I love my 18L.

Just took a job near the train station again, so probably will be riding to work again. :)

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, Asphalt said:

Would love to see Kingsong release a KS-18L Pro:

20S4P Samsung 50S = 1500Wh
~50lbs

Update the firmware, add a few more mosfets, and you could probably get 55km/h in a relatively light, ergonomic package.

It's called 18XL. :D 

Jokes aside - yeah something awesome in 45lbs mark would be just sweet. Even with 1000Wh battery. Also we don't really need 4P system on these smaller/weaker wheels. Even 2P system has enough power to get wheel going over 50km/h. (Falcon has 2P system and it goes 50km/h and people have said it has more power, just that it's board is keeping it away from it's real protentional. Board is to weak..)

FYI 18XL is 3P (2 packs connected in parallel, each pack being 20S3P - making it 40S3P) setup right now - with older/weaker cells, not 50S.. So yeah using 50S in 2P is enough.

Edited by Funky

1 hour ago, Funky said:

making it 40S3P

40s3p would make it 168v

1 hour ago, Paradox said:

40s3p would make it 168v

Or is it still 20S3P? If we use 2 (20S3P) packs in parallel? I thought P stays the same but we double the cells.. 

Didn't something double by being in parallel? 6P?

Edited by Funky

The 18XL is 20S6P 
The 18L is 20S4P

They both used Samsung 35E 18650 cells, which weigh 50g and are rated for 8A discharge with 3500mAh capacity.

120 x 50g = 6kg
80 x 50g = 4kg

120 x 3500mAh x 3.7V = 1554Wh
80 x 3500mAh x 3.7V = 1036Wh

=========

A Pro version could be updated to use Samsung 50S cells, which weigh 72g and are rated for 35A discharge with 5000mAh capacity.

120 x 72g = 8.64kg
80 x 72g = 5.76kg

120 x 5000mAh x 3.7V = 2220Wh
80 x 5000mAh x 3.7V = 1480Wh

Given the larger dimensions of the 21700 cells, it might be tough to squeeze in 120 cells.
However, 80 x 21700 cells should fit in the same place as 120 x 18650 cells.
The additional discharge rate would enable more power output, so zippier firmware could be used.

• Like 1

If Kingsong were to re-develop the 18L/XL control board, they could make a lighter, faster 100V version with a few more mosfets (base it off of the S19 Pro control board).

18XS Pro - 24S2P
48 x 72g = 3.456kg
48 x 5000mAh x 3.7 = 888Wh

Weight = 46lbs

========

In addition to chasing the performance leaders, Kingsong might find more success in going after the niche that they once dominated - ergonomic, lightweight wheels without suspension.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Asphalt said:

If Kingsong were to re-develop the 18L/XL control board, they could make a lighter, faster 100V version with a few more mosfets (base it off of the S19 Pro control board).

18XS Pro - 24S2P
48 x 72g = 3.456kg
48 x 5000mAh x 3.7 = 888Wh

Weight = 46lbs

========

In addition to chasing the performance leaders, Kingsong might find more success in going after the niche that they once dominated - ergonomic, lightweight wheels without suspension.

That's the dream right there.

• Upvote 1