Kingsong 18L or 18XL, seems like all north american vendors only have old stock.

rcgldr

I'd like to buy a Kingsong 18L V2 (spiked pedals and updated upper pads), but I'm in the USA and none of the NA vendors have them. One vendor had an old 18L that they received in Feb 2022, which means it was probably built sometime in 2021 and the batteries are probably not in good shape. Some of the NA dealers are out of stock on both 18L and 18XL. The few that have them are also probably old models, as I've asked for build date codes, and they claim they don't know.

Even if I was willing to pay, EU dealers can't ship to USA, and it seems I can't special order one from a NA dealer even if I'm willing to wait 1 or 2 months for it to be shipped.

Edited by rcgldr
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Sadly it's one of the sad truths. When people want a lighter wheel, (which nowadays are only older wheels..) we don't really have an option to choose from. You get what you get..

Still it surprises me that not a single store in NA has one? Even my local small shop has the updated models of Kingsong 18XL, 16X, 16S in stock. Then again in my area the big wheels don't sell at all.

Also why batteries would not be in good shape? If wheel was regularly checked and kept around 50% charge state - it should be fine.. Some shops may even give you updated pads/pedals, if you ask. You don't know when the "cells" themselves where made.. From that viewpoint any wheel battery pack could be in not so good shape.:D 

Edited by Funky
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Funky said:

You don't know when the "cells" themselves where made.. 

Remember there was a shortage of 18650 and 2170s back then. They wouldn't be sitting in warehouses. I can't imagine they would be much older than the manufacture date of the wheel.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, rcgldr said:

Even if I was willing to pay, EU dealers can't ship to USA, and it seems I can't special order one from a NA dealer even if I'm willing to wait 1 or 2 months for it to be shipped.

I think the Australian store E-riderz has the new 18xl. I don't know if they would ship to the USA. The Aussie dollar was only worth about 63 cents US last month but has appreciated to 68, so not quite the bargain. I noticed not long ago they were selling 18xls for A$2299 (but that may have been old stock). The spike pedal 18xl is now on their website for $2999 (US$2039).

Shipping may be prohibitive, but Aussie shipping prices usually are much less than US.

22 hours ago, Funky said:

Also why batteries would not be in good shape? If wheel was regularly checked and kept around 50% charge state - it should be fine.

It's a bike shop. I sent them an email and the replied that they've never opened the box.  From other vendors I found that 18L battery pack is $960 ($480 per side).

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/29/2023 at 1:34 PM, Funky said:

lighter wheel

How much does your 18XL weigh? KingSong shows 18XL at 25.4 kg = 56 lbs, and 18L at 21.6 kg = 47.6 lbs. I wondering if their listed weight for the 18XL is high.

10 minutes ago, rcgldr said:

How much does your 18XL weigh? KingSong shows 18XL at 25.4 kg = 56 lbs, and 18L at 21.6 kg = 47.6 lbs. I wondering if their listed weight for the 18XL is high.

Mine is 26.5kg now - i got aftermarket heavier pedals and M/C tire. :) It was ~25.5kg. 18L is ~22kg round it up. :D 

1 battery pack for 18xl weights around ~3.65kg. 18xl has 1554Wh. 18l has 1000Wh? So it should be around ~2.4kg lighter.

Edited by Funky