Sherman Max violently shaking then wheel spinning?

BKW

Hey guys,

I was trolling around my Sherman max and out of nowhere it started shaking violently then the wheel started spinning until it maxed out and turned off. It scared the hell out of me and left a tire burn inside a grocery store. Any idea what this was? I don’t smell anything burned up or anything. My SherMax has roughly 12400 miles on it

thanks in advance for any help knowledge on this!

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, BKW said:

I was trolling around my Sherman max and out of nowhere it started shaking violently then the wheel started spinning until it maxed out and turned off. It scared the hell out of me and left a tire burn inside a grocery store. Any idea what this was? I don’t smell anything burned up or anything. My SherMax has roughly 12400 miles on it

As @The Brahan Seer said, this situatino is rare, there's been about half-a-dozen reported cases of this over the years, all with similar circumstances: indoors, setting like a supermarket, with high RF can cause interference to the electronics. Someone had a video of it, but it looks like they delisted... 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

if i ever do need to take my wheels off ranch to run errands, this has convinced me to just get a cable lock and park outside. 

laying in bed last night thinking which wheel to take to the dentist, haha, could u imagine the v13 with the knobby going crazy from God knows what signals the dentists machinery is emanating, and me picking it up and it slinging dirt and acorns throughout his office. i'd probably get arrested.

i never thought about bringing a motorcycle in a doctor's office, even though my ktm superduke r is less than 400 pounds and never locked it up, and two or three guys could have easily stolen it. but nowadays it might get stolen.

i like weatherproof wheel lockers located outside stores. could have charging capabilities also. i'd happily pay for parking and safe storage. euc/scooter parking garage.

• Like 1

Wow this is crazy. I think this is probably what it was because it was just so random. Very dangerous. It really shook my confidence because I was worried it would happen again

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Funky said:

I didn't even know thing like this can happen.. I have gone multiple times those gates - nothing had happened.. 

I asked the same thing on Facebook group and they said the same thing about the security system interference. One guy even broke down exactly what happened to him and it was the exact thing that happened to me... The wheel shook then started tilting back and 5 seconds later the wheel went full speed and it couldn't stop it until it hit max speed and shut off..he said it happened to him twice before due to the interference...I had no idea

Edited by BKW
  • Like 3

57 minutes ago, Funky said:

Well now i at least know.. Good thing i got lightweight wheel. :D :D :D Which can be held up with one hand, whiles it's going crazy.

Yeah if I knew it was going to start spinning I would have lifted it up by the roll cage. I tried turning it off but I guess I was too slow

• 3 weeks later...

Shaking is a sign of bad gyro data which can be caused by a loose board. Seeing as you had it freespin maybe the gyro is giving up.

Check the board is bolted. Pull the power reconnect and recalibrate.

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Man, this thing happened to me again when I was trollying the SherMax inside an apartment building. This time it didn't shake violently back and forth before spinning, but it had a hard knock and shut off very quick, almost like a cut out. I didn't think it was going to do the same thing as last time because this time it was different. When I turned it back on it was OK probably for 5 seconds then I noticed the gyro started going back slowly again and a second later the wheel started spinning again! I quickly lifted up the wheel but once again it left a skid mark on the ground just from the second it spun. I had to lift it up until it maxed out and turned off.

I'm dead serious when I say I am very serious about quitting EUCs. Things like this just remind me how incredibly dangerous and unpredictable they can be! It's the only PEV that I know of that if something happens to it you will fall right on your face. At least with a bike or scooter you will just keep rolling, but the EUC is especially dangerous with the gyroscope holding you up. On top of that, you have these massive batteries where if something ever went wrong with them you better freaking hope it's not indoors, which is almost certainly will be for most people! Then, you have EXPENSIVE-ASS parts -- EVERYTHING IS EXTREMELY EXPENSIVE. But those worst part is how dangerous they can be, with almost no fault of your own in a lot of cases -- just random-ass things that happen can put lives at risk.

I have no idea if at any moment my EUC will just cut out on me like it did when I was trollying it indoors today. We have way too much confidence in these things. I still don't know why it did what it did again today. Last time I chalked it up to security system and also being by a police station (lots of radio crap there), but this time it was in a residential... WTF.

From the amount of evidence I've gathered so far, I truly feel like it's just a matter of time before something very bad happens with these things. I can't say I trust these things anymore. I feel like I'm pushing my luck now. I'm really beginning to feel like they aren't worth the money and danger anymore. I don't even know if I should replace a part on my EUC or not since this has happened twice now. Needless to say, I'm going to be fully geared up from now on out

• Sad 1

Recalibrate the dam thing.. Did you do it even once after all that "gate" fiasco? 

The poor thing is still CRAY CRAY from last time.. Good old recalibration should fix it's CRAY CRAY. :D 

4 minutes ago, Funky said:

Recalibrate the dam thing.. Did you do it even once after all that "gate" fiasco? 

The poor thing is still CRAY CRAY from last time.. Good old recalibration should fix it's CRAY CRAY. :D 

Not really sure what you mean by that. I did a quick search and I guess that's just balancing the wheel? Not entirely sure what it entails

Edited by BKW

10 minutes ago, BKW said:

Not really sure what you mean by that. I did a quick search and I guess that's just balancing the wheel? Not entirely sure what it entails

You don't know what really happened while going true that security gate.. I mean the wheel still may have some issues after that ordeal.. Like now what you saw in the apartment building!

The calibration still may be "fucked" up.. That's why i recommend doing recalibration especially if you didn't do one right after, or later when that "gate" thing happened!

As systems still can be "buggy"... And by doing wheel recalibration you could "fix" it.

As you said the gyro is keeping us up.. And you not doing recalibration after it got fucked up?? Hello?? First thing i would do would be recalibrate the dam thing...

Edited by Funky

Just now, Funky said:

You don't know what really happened while going that security gate.. I mean the wheel still may have some issues after that ordeal.. Like now what you saw in the apartment building!

The calibration still may be "fucked" up.. That's why i recommend doing recalibration especially if you didn't do one right after, or later when that "gate" thing happened!

As systems still can be "buggy"... And by doing wheel recalibration you could "fix" it.

As you said the gyro is keeping us up.. And you not doing recalibration after it got fucked up?? Hello?? First thing i would do would recalibrate the dam thing...

Once again, I am not sure what you mean by "recalibrate", as it seems you are assuming I should know exactly what you are talking about. I guess I'll do research on that because the limited knowledge I have on "recalibration" just from the quick search i did is that it makes the gyro balanced?

Anyway, if it's what I think you mean by "recalibrate" then I have noticed nothing strange about the gyro since the first time it happened. Therefore, I was not aware I needed to do something about the gyro. But, I'll look into this recalibration thing and I'll try that, but 13K+ miles maybe it's time to replace something electronically?

The thing in the app - Where you need to have wheel in LEVEL position it turns off and on..

It's called recalibration.. Something with gyro, etc..

If you didn't do it after the "gate" fiasco.. I could see this thing being what you need to fix the issue. Because you don't know how badly it messed the wheel "settings" up while going true security gate, as wheel did start to tilt and it speed up because of said tilting - no? So gyro was effected in that instant. Even if wheel was working fine after repowering it up - it doesn't mean it still have "hidden" issues at large..

That's why i still recommend doing the recalibration true App. It's very easy/fast thing to do in first place. And could fix very problematic issue. 

Edited by Funky

3 minutes ago, Funky said:

The thing in the app - Where you need to have wheel in LEVEL position it turns off and on..

It's called recalibration.. Something with gyro, etc..

If you didn't do it after the "gate" fiasco.. I could see this thing being what you need to fix the issue. Because you don't know how badly it messed the wheel "settings" up while going true security gate, as wheel did start to tilt and it speed up because of said tilting - no? So gyro was effected in that instant. Even if wheel was working fine after repowering it up - it doesn't mean it still have "hidden" issues at large..

That's why i still recommend doing the recalibration true App. It's very easy/fast thing to do in first place. And could fix very problematic issue. 

I'll try it out. Any remedy/advice is welcome.

I do wonder at what point should we consider upgrading the electrical components on these things? 13K+ miles seems like it might be time to do that, but perhaps I should wait until the motherboard completely fails? I don't know, especially since how dangerous it can be not being preventative with EUCs...

The electrical parts themselves can last for 1000 years..

It's the outside elements that kill these things normally first. Dirt/Sand/Dust. Water/Moisture in air/Dampness. The endless small vibrating shocks while riding..

It's your money and well being at question.. You can only choose when to do anything.

I just commented on thing that can be very easy and possible fix. Gyro got effected when going true that security gate - naturally one would recalibrate it afterwards.. As it got effected in that instant.. Even when you powered the wheel and it didn't show any "ill" effects. Doesn't mean it doesn't have some hidden effects after that ordeal, because the gyro did have a problem in first place when going true the gate - didn't it? That's why recalibration is required.

Even if wheel seems to work fine. Rebalancing (recalibrating) the gyro should help.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/4/2024 at 12:06 PM, BKW said:

Once again, I am not sure what you mean by "recalibrate",

It's what you do to give the wheel a true reference of what direction is "up".  The procedure will vary from wheel to wheel, but usually it's along the lines of starting the re-calibration from the app, then turning the wheel back on, while you hold it perfectly level both front to back and side to side.