New Rider

Euphoria

Hi All,

Just got a shiny new wheel (so, so, shiny) and am doing my level best learn how to ride it without damaging the device or myself overmuch.

Tomorrow, first thing. Extra padding for the poor abused legs and ankles.
Oww Oww Owwie...

Anyone else in the North London area pootling around on one wheel and raising a smile ?

Max

A warm welcome to the Forum.

Don't forget to put some padding around the wheel as well to keep it shiny! I found a pair of walking boots saved my ankles from a lot of grief in the early days.

BTW, what wheel did you buy?

52 minutes ago, Keith said:

A warm welcome to the Forum.

Don't forget to put some padding around the wheel as well to keep it shiny! I found a pair of walking boots saved my ankles from a lot of grief in the early days.

BTW, what wheel did you buy?

Aye, I have some extra sore bruises just starting to come up...
Padding is the first order for tomorrow.

I got the Eyu V5S.
http://en.eyu.co/Electricwheelbarrow/product_16.html

In gold. Because shiny...

33 minutes ago, viti said:

welcome!

have fun learning.

Thanks, It's going to take a while...

Get some wrist guards as well. I've not fallen off mine to the extent that I have not landed on my feet yet but it's bound to happen and wrist guards, a helmet and maybe knee guards are going to come in useful.

Good luck and have fun. 

Welcome

The range estimates are quite exaggerated for these machines in general.

I got into a lot of trouble expecting  the thing to go  on until the battery indicated nearly empty, this was not the case.

I would recommend to keep an eye on charge level and when it drops be wary  ie go more slowly and not  into  critical situations.

As things warm up here  batteries will perform better and the chances of   low voltage cut outs should be reduced.

Jer

4 hours ago, nute said:

Get some wrist guards as well. I've not fallen off mine to the extent that I have not landed on my feet yet but it's bound to happen and wrist guards, a helmet and maybe knee guards are going to come in useful.

Good luck and have fun. 

Thanks for the advice.
I'm kitting up in my Motorcycling gear at the moment. Probably cutting a slightly comic figure at 3 mph. But hey, better comedy than tragedy...

2 hours ago, jer said:

Welcome

The range estimates are quite exaggerated for these machines in general.

I got into a lot of trouble expecting  the thing to go  on until the battery indicated nearly empty, this was not the case.

I would recommend to keep an eye on charge level and when it drops be wary  ie go more slowly and not  into  critical situations.

As things warm up here  batteries will perform better and the chances of   low voltage cut outs should be reduced.

Jer

Ah. That's a rotten shame. What manner of trouble might I expect as the charge drops ?

It looks like your V5S has a 174Wh battery pack? It's good that you got the larger battery. The specs on that page seem a bit strange though, the V5 which has the 132Wh battery says it has a more powerful motor! It's probably an error, I would guess yours has a 500W motor given its max speed. It's a very good looking wheel though, nice that it includes a light and pop-up handle.

1 hour ago, Euphoria said:

Ah. That's a rotten shame. What manner of trouble might I expect as the charge drops ?

Here was my experience with my 14-inch wheel, which I don't ride much nowadays. If you are traveling on smooth level terrain at medium speed and don't make sudden leans, it is possible to ride it down until you get the tilt-back battery warning. However, as you travel at top speed and/or have sudden changes of speed/balance, the wheel sometimes doesn't have enough power to keep you upright. That can happen when you hit a bump or a sudden change of incline like a ramp into a street. The problem becomes worse when the battery is low, but I have had it happen when the battery was at 50%.  

Each wheel is different, so maybe yours will behave better. Just be careful!

2 hours ago, Euphoria said:

Thanks for the advice.
I'm kitting up in my Motorcycling gear at the moment. Probably cutting a slightly comic figure at 3 mph. But hey, better comedy than tragedy...

So called face plant.

It the Battery Management system (BMS) kicks in  due to low voltage the thing conks out and you  go flying forward as there is nothing to hold you up.

At slow speeds it is not too bad.

At higher  speeds things happen really quick and hurt a lot.

The wheel controller  should warn you when things are getting close for some reason, by beeping, tilting back...

This is the preferred method of shut down/warning.

Since running with plenty of power and being very wary of low battery  I have not had issues.

PS I think face plant is a general term and can be caused by other things such as overloading the wheel, tree roots...

Jer

38 minutes ago, jer said:

So called face plant.

[snip to avoid repeating]

Rightoh.
i'll make sure the beasty is well fed...

2 hours ago, dmethvin said:

It looks like your V5S has a 174Wh battery pack? It's good that you got the larger battery. The specs on that page seem a bit strange though, the V5 which has the 132Wh battery says it has a more powerful motor! It's probably an error, I would guess yours has a 500W motor given its max speed. It's a very good looking wheel though, nice that it includes a light and pop-up handle.

Here was my experience with my 14-inch wheel, which I don't ride much nowadays. If you are traveling on smooth level terrain at medium speed and don't make sudden leans, it is possible to ride it down until you get the tilt-back battery warning. However, as you travel at top speed and/or have sudden changes of speed/balance, the wheel sometimes doesn't have enough power to keep you upright. That can happen when you hit a bump or a sudden change of incline like a ramp into a street. The problem becomes worse when the battery is low, but I have had it happen when the battery was at 50%.  

Each wheel is different, so maybe yours will behave better. Just be careful!

Certainly looks lovely at the moment, I'm probably going to leave it more dinged up than I'd like... Currently covered in foam padding, but every time I drop it I seem to find a gap in which to scratch the paint...

Yeah 500W motor is probably right. Though it does concern me that if one stat is wrong the others might not be right either...

I'll try to keep people posted as to how it behaves.
As yet I have no really useful data, aside from "hasn't caught fire/exploded so far"

@Euphoria, Don't worry about these issues for now as none of the faceplant issues are likely to be a problem at the learning stage, apart from anything else there is a good chance you will be going slow enough to run off if you did have a problem.

It is once the confidence, and therefore speed, increases that any vices the wheel has might bite you. As far as I can tell, you seem to be the first person on this forum who has a Eya wheel so, to us, it is very much an unknown quantity, and, bearing in mind it is a good looking wheel we will be keen to hear how it performs.

However we do know it is at the lower end for battery capacity and a number of manufacturers use Battery Management Systems (BMS) that are designed to protect the battery not the rider. A good thread to read when you have a moment is: 

It is one of the main reasons, you will notice, in my signature that I have a KingSong ;-)

Archived