Who rides in the mud?

LeBrokenA2AssassinRider

9 minutes ago, mhpr262 said:

Not even going to try that... I really cant afford any serious injury like a broken knee or hip, the only other person around to help me is my 80 year old mother.

What serious injury? You only slide sideways most times. Have done that already this winter.. Actually it was my first ride on first snow.. Roads where not cleaned yet and i took to sharp turn. :D (Also for reference i don't use gear.)

Also you need to go quit slow in this type of condition. More or less at running speeds nowadays. Bit faster if paths are cleaned. I hate that "slushy", i would prefer to ride solid ice - if i had a choice. As i got tire studs.

Edited by Funky

Knobby tires are great in mud, wet grass, and slushy snow! Surprisingly good grip. All the slipping dangers of regular tires melt away with knobby tires!

I rode through mud occasionally, what limited me was the trust in wheel's build quality. With a definitely waterproof wheel that can easily be hosed down afterwards, mud riding is great fun.

(In the video, that's just wet dirt, not mud. I'm talking real mud.)

I avoid mud like the plague, not only does the unpredictable slippery behaviour suck, if you fall you will look like Arnold from Predator not to mention all that gunk in your wheel, yuk!

Snow on the other hand! 🥳

59 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Knobby tires are great in mud, wet grass, and slushy snow! Surprisingly good grip. All the slipping dangers of regular tires melt away with knobby tires!

I rode through mud occasionally, what limited me was the trust in wheel's build quality. With a definitely waterproof wheel that can easily be hosed down afterwards, mud riding is great fun.

(In the video, that's just wet dirt, not mud. I'm talking real mud.)

Not all of them, Kenda 262 and CST 186 for example, they are really bad in mud.

Edited by Rawnei

7 minutes ago, LeBrokenA2AssassinRider said:

Now I want to try snow and real mud. The slippyness of it was fun. I just gotta find a place I can play in

"Fun" :rolleyes: 

I'm having "Fun" every day while commuting to work then. :laughbounce2:

Make your own mud pit and go play. Oink-Oink :D All you need is some water buckets and sandy/grassy field.

3 hours ago, LeBrokenA2AssassinRider said:

Now I want to try snow and real mud. The slippyness of it was fun. I just gotta find a place I can play in

I usually find that slippyness from ice or mud is not compatible with remaining upright when slips are so immediately connected with a) your ability to balance and b) the wheel's ability to grip, on which its entire functionality depends... if your loss of grip is transitory it can be 'fun', but the line between that, and 'on your face in the mud with a filthy machine you have to unclog later! ' is fairly thin I would say...

Also perhaps consider that you have to hand wash most armour, and that washing body protectors and riding pants, particularly those caked with mud is a proper pain in the arse ! Cleaning it all out of your wheel well is also ...less fun that it sounds ! :)

Edited by Cerbera
  • Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Cerbera said:

I usually find that slippyness from ice or mud is not compatible with remaining upright when slips are so immediately connected with a) your ability to balance and b) the wheel's ability to grip, on which its entire functionality depends... if your loss of grip is transitory it can be 'fun', but the line between that, and 'on your face in the mud with a filthy machine you have to unclog later! ' is fairly thin I would say...

Also perhaps consider that you have to hand wash most armour, and that washing body protectors and riding pants, particularly those caked with mud is a proper pain in the arse ! Cleaning it all out of your wheel well is also ...less fun that it sounds ! :)

If it slips you can correct it, can be quite fun riding slowly in loose grip snow, very good practice and if things go south you just walk off with a laugh and do it again.

No way! Common sense tells me even though some wheels are highly water resistance, riding in mud not only leaves a dirty job for cleanup, but that filthy mud get into the internal nooks and crevices.... Who know how long it will take to get it out and how it may ruin the wheel??? 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Scubadragonsan said:

No way! Common sense tells me even though some wheels are highly water resistance, riding in mud not only leaves a dirty job for cleanup, but that filthy mud get into the internal nooks and crevices.... Who know how long it will take to get it out and how it may ruin the wheel??? 

Some people don't care about that. Same as dirt bikes.. They are made for riding in mud.

So naturally there will be people who like to do the same with EUC's. Not taking into mind how they can hurt/brake said EUC. Experiencing "fun" and "excitement" takes priority for them.

Aka live your life like it's the last day on earth.. Good thing most people don't live like that. Otherwise laws/rules would be ignored on daily bases. :D 

Edited by Funky
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Funky said:

Experiencing "fun" and "excitement" takes priority for them.

Certain part of the video riding looks challenging and fun. Definitely, the muddy part is questionable! I wonder how many times these guys are going to enjoy cleaning their wheels???

Edited by Scubadragonsan

I am again pleasantly surprised by how much beating these wheels can take, when at the same time I have no doubt that the dear Chinese manufacturers have not thought about, tested or manufactured them for this kind of use. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, LeBrokenA2AssassinRider said:

"Waterproof". Yeah.. Sure it is.. :D

2 hours ago, Scubadragonsan said:

I wonder how many times these guys are going to enjoy cleaning their wheels???

Emm actually mud gets hard. So next ride it would simply fall off. No cleaning required. :thumbup:

I haven't cleaned mine once in 3 years. Doh same time i don't ride mud.. Have seen some mud plashes around mudguard, but they disappears after rainy ride.

8 hours ago, Rawnei said:

If it slips you can correct it, can be quite fun riding slowly in loose grip snow, very good practice and if things go south you just walk off with a laugh and do it again.

Can confirm, EUC are more stable in snow than pedal bicycles. When traction breaks, the wheel spins fast, which turns it into a gyro, pulling you in the opposite direction you'd fall. Now, you've gotta predict this, or else you're gonna get whipped in this new direction the moment you gain traction! It's best to be around or under 10mph when riding in snow, and I have no experience on black ice... So it's still ride at your own caution.

21 hours ago, Hellkitten said:

Last season on my V11 I was riding a gravel road after a rain fall and I came to a really muddy section that was still under construction. It was much farther to go back………. So I decided to try my luck through the muddy area. I got about halfway through, but this mud was mostly clay and it was extremely tenacious. It built up between my tire and the wheel well, I got worried it might blow the board and I have to lug a 60lb anchor out of the woods. So I got off and walked it out the rest of the way. There was so much scraping and rubbing going on I took a stick and got as much out as I could, then rode home. The next few weeks every time I turned or carved to the left it made awful noise. I used a long metal ruler to chisel off huge chunks of hardened clay out of my wheel well. I should’ve disassembled it to really get it out, but I was lazy. Got a large amount out over the next week. I think certain eucs would make for better mudders than others. The V11 has very tight clearance around the tire. Would not recommend for mud. 🤣

Open design like all new begode wheels are perfect for mudding. Wheels like 18xl, 16x, 16s, v11, v12 - where the tire is closed off in case are horrible for mudding. As everything gets stuck in wheel well. (Same as snow.)

You wanted to create a porcelain/ceramic protective layer i see. Smart! :efef50e3ba:

Edited by Funky
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 12/3/2023 at 5:58 AM, Funky said:

Open design like all new begode wheels are perfect for mudding. Wheels like 18xl, 16x, 16s, v11, v12 - where the tire is closed off in case are horrible for mudding. As everything gets stuck in wheel well. (Same as snow.)

You wanted to create a porcelain/ceramic protective layer i see. Smart! :efef50e3ba:

Those closed off wheel design look so ugly. I can't stand the way they look. I would compare it to the look of a Volkswagen bug to the new IM designs like the v13/14

10 minutes ago, LeBrokenA2AssassinRider said:

Those closed off wheel design look so ugly. I can't stand the way they look. I would compare it to the look of a Volkswagen bug to the new IM designs like the v13/14

you can not compare this to this 😁

Screenshot_20231204-150749-433.png

Screenshot_20231204-151250-493.png

1 hour ago, LeBrokenA2AssassinRider said:

You are having "fun" not caring how muddy you get while riding..

As for me - i commute to work every day whole year round. I don't wanna be muddy. So i prefer well closed wheel well. Or mud guards that actually work...

Yes open design looks cool. BUT they aren't very good. As everything sprays around!

And i mostly use EUC only for that - commute. I don't go for "fun" rides anymore.. So ill take Practicality over Aesthetics.

1 hour ago, Robse said:

you can not compare this to this 😁

Screenshot_20231204-150749-433.png

Screenshot_20231204-151250-493.png

They both are the same? Ohh one has gun. :thumbup:

Edited by Funky