Leaperkim Lynx 2700wh: 151V, 20" tire, suspension, 89lb

RagingGrandpa

2 minutes ago, Rawnei said:

I don't think they calculated much there, just yolo'd it and hoped for the best, I think the same russian group (EXC) wrecked a couple of wheels by now.

Underinflated tire.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Quick question, I’m awaiting my PIDZOOM fast charger to arrive, so what’s the optimal or properly rated charge amps that the specific packs in the lynx are happy charging at before you go into “fast charging”. As you know, the stock charger charges each pack at 2.4 amps which I presume is relatively slow for those packs. 

2 hours ago, Skampster said:

Quick question, I’m awaiting my PIDZOOM fast charger to arrive, so what’s the optimal or properly rated charge amps that the specific packs in the lynx are happy charging at before you go into “fast charging”. As you know, the stock charger charges each pack at 2.4 amps which I presume is relatively slow for those packs. 

the Lynx can handle up to 15 amps officially. Unofficially, it can handle up to 18 amps. There's no "line" that determines what is slow vs. fast charging, but I'd say 7-8a is what I would consider the beginning of what I'd call "fast charging". To be clear though - 50S batteries can handle fast charging just fine without being damaged in the process.

4 hours ago, Skampster said:

If you have 50S cells than 10A is standard charge rating (2.5Ax4), when you start going above then it's fast charging, the max rated charge for 50S cells is 24A (6x4), I've charged mine at 18A (max of my charger).

If you have 50E cells you need to redo the math.

11 hours ago, joyrider said:

Underinflated tire.

I would say you should not jump without tube, on tubless. Anyway, so much fun to watch stupid ppl ! 

3 hours ago, WheelGoodTime said:

the Lynx can handle up to 15 amps officially. Unofficially, it can handle up to 18 amps. There's no "line" that determines what is slow vs. fast charging, but I'd say 7-8a is what I would consider the beginning of what I'd call "fast charging". To be clear though - 50S batteries can handle fast charging just fine without being damaged in the process.

1 hour ago, Rawnei said:

If you have 50S cells than 10A is standard charge rating (2.5Ax4), when you start going above then it's fast charging, the max rated charge for 50S cells is 24A (6x4), I've charged mine at 18A (max of my charger).

If you have 50E cells you need to redo the math.

Thanks guys, 10amps is what I figured (I have the 50s), and tbh is a nice sweet spot. I’m guessing with the 50s Sherman L would be the same, 10a?

1 hour ago, Skampster said:

Thanks guys, 10amps is what I figured (I have the 50s), and tbh is a nice sweet spot. I’m guessing with the 50s Sherman L would be the same, 10a?

Sherman L is 6P so 15A is standard charge rating for Sherman L with 50S cells.

• Thanks 1

On 8/26/2024 at 4:44 AM, Skampster said:

I was wondering this but found out about this document. I figure it is the same document eWheels Lynx product page is referring to. https://cdn03.plentymarkets.com/i9a0e0hd8l6w/frontend/Datenblaeter/Samsung/INR21700-50S/INR21700-50S_Introduction_of_INR21700-50S_2022_v1_20220301_.pdf

In this document there are some performance tests mainly for different discharge rates and it seems like the 50S cells can handle quite much more than Lynx can ever abuse of them. The point to consider here is that they said you can get 83% capacity from the cells after 600 cycles with 6A charging rates and 10A discharge, which is 33% more charge-wise than the Pidzoom charger supports. I am also charging my Lynx with 15-18A with no worries. 

One more thing to consider is the temperature of the cells while charging, I have seen up to 40C with my wheel but if you ride hard and charge often on a warm day, you should not exceed 45C for optimal cell life. It's probably not dangerous though, in the document the cells are abused up to 130C. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, RELAXi said:

6A charging rates

That’s 6amps per cell as in a cell on its own, Not grouped?

So if your charging a Lynx at 10amps, what is each cell receiving?

Edited by Skampster

30 minutes ago, Skampster said:

That’s 6amps per cell as in a cell on its own, Not grouped?

So if your charging a Lynx at 10amps, what is each cell receiving?

Lynx is 36s4p so 2.5A per cell

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

so after noticing the little braking wobbles yesterday, i knew my tires were lower than normal.

today i checked both and they were probably at 15psi.

haha, no wonder i was loving the ride.

pumped them both up to 35psi, the pressure jason suggested in his email, and both of them. hated it.

i'll drop down to 30psi and try that. i don't mind running low pressure on dirt, but even with 3oz of slime, the tires still leak.

didn't ride the v13's but they were down to 20psi or so. put them at 37psi. i'll shoot a vid on them tmrw.

so i'm back to thinking that the v13 is the best ride around the ranch, but if i have to go in the weeds, i'd prefer a lynx falling on me as opposed to the v13.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, novazeus said:

so after noticing the little braking wobbles yesterday, i knew my tires were lower than normal.

today i checked both and they were probably at 15psi.

haha, no wonder i was loving the ride.

pumped them both up to 35psi, the pressure jason suggested in his email, and both of them. hated it.

i'll drop down to 30psi and try that. i don't mind running low pressure on dirt, but even with 3oz of slime, the tires still leak.

didn't ride the v13's but they were down to 20psi or so. put them at 37psi. i'll shoot a vid on them tmrw.

so i'm back to thinking that the v13 is the best ride around the ranch, but if i have to go in the weeds, i'd prefer a lynx falling on me as opposed to the v13.

I’m digging 28psi on mine…. I let it sag down to 25psi before I air back to the 28.

I’m also on the 62lb springs, it’s like a Cadillac.

@novazeus What is it about the V13 that you like so much? For me it’s the exceptional build quality, safety, large tire, and slimness.

Even though it’s my first suspension wheel, I feel like the suspension isn’t that great. It gets the job done alright, but it’s not that cushy on small bumps, and overall just feels not great. 

I’m am very happy with the wheel though, and I ride almost exclusively on street. I figured a guy like you riding on a ranch would prefer the LeaperKim wheels and their coil fork suspension.

Edited by InfiniteWheelie

4 hours ago, InfiniteWheelie said:

Even though it’s my first suspension wheel, I feel like the suspension isn’t that great. It gets the job done alright, but it’s not that cushy on small bumps, and overall just feels not great. 

I’m am very happy with the wheel though, and I ride almost exclusively on street.

Did you buy new?

The suspension action when new should be pretty smooth.

For small bump compliance, you need to dial down the damping settings first, and get the air spring rate right for your body weight.

What is the %sag you have now? 

Do you find that the V13 handles better than your Abrams? 

How does the V13 compare to your Abrams with regards to high speed stability? 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, InfiniteWheelie said:

@novazeus What is it about the V13 that you like so much? For me it’s the exceptional build quality, safety, large tire, and slimness.

I’m am very happy with the wheel though, and I ride almost exclusively on street. I figured a guy like you riding on a ranch would prefer the LeaperKim wheels and their coil fork suspension.

everything u said, esp the big knobby tire. it really adds to the suspension.

14 hours ago, techyiam said:

Did you buy new?

The suspension action when new should be pretty smooth.

Yes.

For small bump compliance, you need to dial down the damping settings first, and get the air spring rate right for your body weight.

What is the %sag you have now?

I already set the compression damping to zero (assuming compression is the right side). I also pumped it on the low side, to the point that it slightly bottoms out on big bumps. I didn’t measure the sag percentage. Air suspension always has worse small bump comfort due to the seals. I’m not sure if there are other contributing factors for the V13.

Do you find that the V13 handles better than your Abrams? 

How does the V13 compare to your Abrams with regards to high speed stability?

It’s hard to say because I sold the Abrams well before I bought the V13. The most striking difference while riding is the width. The Abrams was very wide/angular up top, forcing me to stand towards the outside of the pedals and/or turn my toes outward. It was kind of an ergonomic nightmare.

In terms of the handling, I actually don’t seem to remember a huge difference. Perhaps the Abrams was a little more stable at high speed due to its lower pedals, but the V13 is pretty stable too. High speed turns may have been easier.

The higher pedals make walking speed maneuvers slightly trickier, but they also allow even steeper turns without scraping, so not a huge difference overall. I might consider getting the pedal lowering bracket since I don’t ride off road really.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, novazeus said:

everything u said, esp the big knobby tire. it really adds to the suspension

Don’t you find the LeaperKim suspension more comfortable and better performing?

I was stuck between the V13 and LeaperKim suspension wheels for a long time. I eventually went with the V13 because i got it on sale for a good price.

I actually preferred most of the V13 features (22” tire, build quality, safety features), but the coil fork suspension really had me considering a LeaperKim wheel. I value suspension comfort pretty highly. If the Sherman L was the same price I might have bought it instead (especially since the safety and features are basically on par now).

Hey guys, qq about dc-dc converter, which voltage does it give? I was thinking somehow to add usb port to it like kingsong wheels has, is it real to be done? Guess if there 12v would be pretty simple right? And what for it used in wheel now? Headlight?

12 minutes ago, TonyZoer said:

Hey guys, qq about dc-dc converter, which voltage does it give? I was thinking somehow to add usb port to it like kingsong wheels has, is it real to be done? Guess if there 12v would be pretty simple right? And what for it used in wheel now? Headlight?

The front light is 24V and the rear light is 5V, dunno if there's any spare plugs on the motherboard, they don't specify but after experimenting a lot with leds and lamps I wouldn't draw more than 2.5A from either.

30w max would be appropriate for the stock wiring and 3.5mm stereo jack.   
Most car usb adapters can handle 12/24v input.    So a slow usb charger is possible by swapping the headlight power cable (while the wheel's off would be safest).

Edited by t0me
  • Like 1

On 9/4/2024 at 12:12 AM, Jayzao said:

Does anyone remove the stock toe holds and replace them with an after-market solution like the Knobz toe holds?

2 methods, unbolt the part in its entirety (what I've done) or cut the toe hook off from the crash protection so its covers areas similar to the rear kickstand (which I've also removed).

Yea we had a local guy that snapped his leg, couldn't get his foot out on a low speed tip over that turned into a breakdance of death. Most of the group have removed the toe hook now.

I've also added a plate to extend were I can place my pads and to act as crash protection for the wheel. 3d printed handle bumpers as kickstands now.

PXL_20240807_072621279.thumb.jpg.04c9b05eccb94e0c76050edfc19eb401.jpg

• Thanks 1

On 8/31/2024 at 9:39 PM, InfiniteWheelie said:

Don’t you find the LeaperKim suspension more comfortable and better performing?

I was stuck between the V13 and LeaperKim suspension wheels for a long time. I eventually went with the V13 because i got it on sale for a good price.

I actually preferred most of the V13 features (22” tire, build quality, safety features), but the coil fork suspension really had me considering a LeaperKim wheel. I value suspension comfort pretty highly. If the Sherman L was the same price I might have bought it instead (especially since the safety and features are basically on par now).

my goals with wheels is probably different than most. 

i hate riding wheels around the ranch, but i hate walking, or taking a tractor or a zero turn mower, way worse. 

but if i don't get out and at least do one patrol a day, i feel guilty. i have animals that i need to check on. 

my goal with a wheel is to get me around this place without me getting hurt. getting hurt isn't an option living offgrid in a shipping container. 

i've only left the ranch a few times in 8 years. everything is delivered and i have zero desire to leave the ranch.

for me, the lynx complemented the v13 in my learning process. the lynx is easier but once u do something on it, it makes doing it on the v13 easier. 

my paths are just brutal. i'm thinking going faster is easier on my body. the s22's work too, but my sandy soil does build up on the sliders.

i think the bigger tire will win the comfort award. i might experiment with different tires on the lynxes this fall.

• Like 1

On 9/3/2024 at 7:40 AM, t0me said:

30w max would be appropriate for the stock wiring and 3.5mm stereo jack.   
Most car usb adapters can handle 12/24v input.    So a slow usb charger is possible by swapping the headlight power cable (while the wheel's off would be safest).

I have tested it continuously with 29W and for a few min with 45W.

It is still alive. 

IMG_20240906_074751_794.jpg

• Thanks 1