Leaperkim Lynx 2700wh: 151V, 20" tire, suspension, 89lb

RagingGrandpa

2 minutes ago, techyiam said:

But, some owners are claiming theirs don't flex.

I'm able to flex my patton's motor. I'd say it's either they aren't flexing it hard enough, or there is a build tolerance difference between people's fastace suspensions

Regarding chassis flex, I performed the same test on my S22 and S16 Pro.

I saw a minute amount of deflection of the roller slider in the channel guide, no where else, in the S22 (not Pro, with Hou Ningning sliders).

There appears to be no appreciable amount of chassis flex in the S16 Pro.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Critzlez said:

I'm able to flex my patton's motor. I'd say it's either they aren't flexing it hard enough, or there is a build tolerance difference between people's fastace suspensions

There is at one owner reporting that his Lynx started to flex after 1600 km's?

4 hours ago, Skampster said:

So, how much flex do you think there may be in the suspension systems of any given car driving around today?

Are Leaperkim wheels failing left right and center causing injuries and malfunctions?

No.

Get over it. 

It's just a discussion. The only people honestly making a fuss are the ones who don't want to hear about a possible negative point on a LK wheel.

Most are not claiming it's a major issue or a point of failure. It's just a mention that it happens and discussing it.

I'm not sure why the hostility over the discussion on a discussion board.

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, jimjam.nyc said:

It's just a discussion. The only people honestly making a fuss are the ones who don't want to hear about a possible negative point on a LK wheel.

Most are not claiming it's a major issue or a point of failure. It's just a mention that it happens and discussing it.

I'm not sure why the hostility over the discussion on a discussion board.

I mean you're the guy jumping into the discussion out of nowhere stirring shit, so yeah.

• Sad 1

30 minutes ago, Skampster said:

There’s nothing worse when people see something that they think should a problem, make it a problem, but it ain’t. If no one ever mentioned the flex in these wheels, I would be non the wiser, and I own three of them, and no, I’m not a fanboy, I own them because there’s nothing better. If something better came out, I’d own that, regardless of brand. 

I wasn't insinuating you were a fan boy. Sorry if I portrayed that.

Truth is people have been discussing play and flex in the LK suspension wheels since the Sherman S and Patton. 

I am an owner of a batch 1 Patton and had many of discussions on this topic now for a while. Even on the Patton thread. 

I barely see it as anything of an issue for me. But that doesn't mean we can't talk about it and we should tell others it's their fault for not knowing how to tighten some bolts and screws. Which may or may not be insulting to some. (Not to me)

Edit: I would like to Add Leaper Kim is excellent at addressing issues on their wheels. So if there is an issue that can be fixed, its important to talk about them. it benefits all of us current owners and future owners of their wheels.

Edited by jimjam.nyc
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Rawnei said:

I mean you're the guy jumping into the discussion out of nowhere stirring shit, so yeah.

I am pretty active on this forum. I try to be honest and respectful. 

I am not an expert and all I suggested was for people to also talk to their distributors if they have questions, and this topic should be well within the rules here to discuss.

Because I find blaming people for not knowing how to tighten bolts to end a discussion may not be sufficient for people possibly getting ready to dump a few K on a new wheel.

If that is stirring things up too much I apologize. Mods can feel free to remove my messages to keep the discussion clean and on topic.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Critzlez said:

I'm pretty sure the flex comes from the suspension stanchions. The motor is connected directly to the end of them and they are a moving part, plus it's long, so moving the motor left and right would naturally bend the stanchions. nothing would help with the flex.

Exactly. If you pull your wheel sideways, it will slightly compress one shock. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, jimjam.nyc said:

I am pretty active on this forum. I try to be honest and respectful. 

I am not an expert and all I suggested was for people to also talk to their distributors if they have questions, and this topic should be well within the rules here to discuss.

Because I find blaming people for not knowing how to tighten bolts to end a discussion may not be sufficient for people possibly getting ready to dump a few K on a new wheel.

If that is stirring things up too much I apologize. Mods can feel free to remove my messages to keep the discussion clean and on topic.

You came in at the very end of the discussion when it was already fading out, seemingly didn't read the arguments broght forth thus dismissing them and then suggested that participants in the discussion are upset and hysterical.

So basically you came into a discussion that was about to die just to get it going again and to tell us to stop discussing or how else should we interpret it?

People who thinks it's not a problem or overblown also have a right to their opinion.

• Like 2

On 8/5/2024 at 5:27 PM, MichaelMcEntire said:

How is everyone liking their Lynx? I have a Master Pro, and recently picked up a used V14. I found I really enjoy the V14, I just find the range a tiny bit sucky, and also wish it was faster on the top end. I’m constantly hitting tilt back. I am considering the Lynx and the ET Max. I understand the ET Max is not much lighter than my Pro, but probably a lot more stable than the Lynx. The suspension and weight on the Lynx, along with its high top speed are attractive. 
 I’m sure there might be a little bias in this thread, but what’s your honest opinion between the two?

I love mine. 

It is a very powerful machine, and it's kicked my butt a few times.

Batch 1. I had the original cst street tire. 62lb suspension. 

I've only been riding a year, and got the Lynx in early February I think. 

My first batch needed bearing spacers, but after that it's been very solid. 

I had 2 35mph wobble crashes, but that's a lot on me for pushing too hard too tired, etc. The lowering kit helped tremendously, then I added a Shinko 241, and damn! I can do 50mph now with no wobbles, or problems other than my own fear. 

Really the only gripe I have is the motor being so close to the batteries. 

3/16" from hub to the battery boxes. Why so many people hear rubbing sometimes. 

I live in the country and rocks get in there. Never locked my tire up, but does scratch the battery boxes up. 

Some didn't have any wobble problems at all, I'm not real strong, and I'm short. The lower pedals put the top of the machine higher on my legs and allows me to have better control.

I like seated riding on it too. 

The power is awesome! You can climb anything as slow or fast as you want with a good knob y tire. 

Range. You can def get 50miles, but riding hard in the 40's I usually charge after about 35.

Edited by o u euc 2
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Rawnei said:

You came in at the very end of the discussion when it was already fading out, seemingly didn't read the arguments broght forth thus dismissing them and then suggested that participants in the discussion are upset and hysterical.

So basically you came into a discussion that was about to die just to get it going again and to tell us to stop discussing or how else should we interpret it?

People who thinks it's not a problem or overblown also have a right to their opinion.

The F22 releases soon. Which may potentially (or not) improve on this already great suspension design. I find the topic pretty relevant and not entirely fading out. Especially since this has been ongoing since the sherman S. Leaper Kim has released now 4 wheels with the same format and arguably changed very little between the lynx and the L.

I find the topic continually relevant because it may lead to even better wheels in the future. It also may be valuable info for someone looking to purchase one of the LK models to properly evaluate their decision on what model to buy, or wait for the next one.

I never invalidated your opinion. You offer a lot of knowledge to this forum. But no need to jump on everyone who may not agree.

I think with wheels like the F22 and even the V14, s22.. Dare I mention the dreaded commander wheels which are blatant rip offs of LK wheels.. It is just good practice on this forum to let people know who are in the market the pros and cons of each design.. Weather we like those wheels or not.

Hell I would never buy a commander. They are not for me.. But if they do something better that will make my next wheel purchase a better one. I am all for talking about it.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, jimjam.nyc said:

Truth is people have been discussing play and flex in the LK suspension wheels since the Sherman S and Patton

This fact makes the discussion even more pointless. What’s been the most successful wheels made, the Patton, the Sherman S and the Lynx, all with flex problems causing no issues. So if it’s been around awhile with no issues, why is it still controversial?

40 minutes ago, Skampster said:

This fact makes the discussion even more pointless. What’s been the most successful wheels made, the Patton, the Sherman S and the Lynx, all with flex problems causing no issues. So if it’s been around awhile with no issues, why is it still controversial?

I don't think it's controversial at all. 

Just because these wheels are already great and very popular, doesn't mean we shouldn't discuss ways to make them better in future models.

LK has no history of battery issues, it doesn't mean they should never implement better BMS features.

They are on their 4th iteration of their suspension wheels, it's only natural people will start to find ways it can be improved.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

23 hours ago, techyiam said:

But, some owners are claiming theirs don't flex.

I tested 3 of them - Every lynx have flex +- 0,5 mm if measured with acuall tool. As I shown on video.

Please somebody show me lynx with 0 flex. It is not hard to measure. My s18 have 0 flex with same tool (rim to case - no tyre involved). 
It is really mechanically imposible, it depend only on force you apply to rubber seals from side.

It is still a good wheel. This "feature" is still better than random nosedives or fires :D

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, daniel1234 said:

I tested 3 of them - Every lynx have flex +- 0,5 mm if measured with acuall tool. As I shown on video.

Please somebody show me lynx with 0 flex. It is not hard to measure. My s18 have 0 flex with same tool (rim to case - no tyre involved). 
It is really mechanically imposible, it depend only on force you apply to rubber seals from side.

It is still a good wheel. This "feature" is still better than random nosedives or fires :D

When people say it doesn't flex, they don't mean 0 flex, they mean it has minimal flex doesn't flex abnormally like in Brians video.

I dont mean any wheel / brand trash-talking. I am see something I dont like, and can be improved on for benefit of all.

To not be just negative - personally to me -  feels like Lynx "flex feature" dampens high speed woable. So it is not just all black.
I think we can get under +-0.2 mm flex with proper clamping and better seals. Without a linear guide/rail it is hard to achieve 0. Any extra stuff in the suspension path adds resistance, cost and weight. I kinda understand why they did it.

20 minutes ago, daniel1234 said:

To not be just negative - personally to me -  feels like Lynx "flex feature" dampens high speed woable. So it is not just all black.
I think we can get under +-0.2 mm flex with proper clamping and better seals. Without a linear guide/rail it is hard to achieve 0. Any extra stuff in the suspension path adds resistance, cost and weight. I kinda understand why they did it.

I would have to disagree with you.

Federal regulations will never allow such flex as in Brian's Lynx in a car or motorcycle chassis.

It makes no sense to allow the unsprung mass to have that much play.

In a car, the mechanic would be looking at ball joints, tie rod ends,and etc.

• Upvote 1

Flex isn't slop,  there is resistance to the flex.    These things aren't under any federal regulations or design laws (are they?) not in AU anyway I bet.

If its not causing motor scrape I reckon its unlikely to be an issue for the rider,  and if it is,   torque and locktite the motor bolts to spec and report back if that sorted it.

13 minutes ago, t0me said:

Flex isn't slop,  there is resistance to the flex.   

The wheel can wander, that's the problem. How much is too much, and is durability compromised? 

I think it makes more sense to talk about actual problems then theoretical ones, if your tire is rubbing against the shell then there's an actual problem, this is the problem that Brian had, I also saw a reel from Wrong Way where he complains about the same thing.

Can tire rubbing be remedied? With proper torqued clamps I don't get any rubbing. I have the Shinko 244 on my Lynx, it's a very very tight fit, we're talking about maybe 1-3mm space between tire and shell and I have absolutely no rubbing at all, if my clamps we're somewhat loose I can absolutely see it flexing enough to rub against the shell.

• Like 3