Pedal Upgrade: Nylonove vs CNC?

Just happened to notice a good-sized crack developing on one of my stock cast pedals the other day, so I guess it's upgrade time. I can't decide which way to go though, even after searching posts here. Cast is definitely out, so it's between CNC and Nylonove (that is assuming I can work around the infamous frequent out-of-stock market status if going with Nylonove).

Theoretically it comes down to one thing - I think I would like the slight shock absorbing properties of the Nylonove pedals I read about from others, but, I don't want to end up with an expensive set of pedals that end up broken after a season or two of trail riding.

So basically I'm wondering if anyone has feedback or heard something about how the Nylonoves hold up (or don't) to pedal clips and wrecks over time?

I've scoped a few reviews here and on YT of people liking them, but little to nothing on durability and how they hold up longer term-ish to off road abuse. Halp.

• Like 1

I ride mostly offroad for over 3 years and had in this time never a problem with NyloNove on all wheels (MCM5, MSP, S18, Master) and I love them. Removed my CNC Begode Master pedals directly after unboxing and replaced it with NyloNove. 

I would never ride anything else. 

PS. I have some NyloNove pedals in stock, but I'm on vacation right now 😬

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

That's good feedback - pretty much what I was intuiting too, that a rider wouldn't want to go back to anything else. It's just my stock pedals have taken some serious abuse and while pedal damage is less likely to happen now with all the riding experience, I know I'll still get pedal clips here and there at various speeds as long as I'm out exploring new trails.

Here's an idea of what one of the originals put up in about 3000 km:

cast_pedal.thumb.jpg.224ad1b75c2c56cbcc9b22074a14a432.jpg

I'll mull it over and wait to see if anyone else has anything to say given the thread prompt. I haven't read anything to dissuade from Nylonoves yet like "oh yeah, first rock he hit snapped one of the honeycombs" or anything like that so that's encouraging.

If anything it'd be between the Begode all-model size L or the XL model with the cutout for the flexpads so pedals would clear accel pad and stow upright. With the latter I'm a little wary of the missing support though as I tend to ride with my feet wide along the outer pedal edges. Hard to say if that'd be an issue without trying them out first.

Nylon is a really tough material, so it shouldn’t snap no matter what you do with it. But while tough, it isn’t completely rigid, which is what gives it the slight shock absorbing quality.

There was a video going round at some point of a Russian jumper that landed a bit badly which made the Nylonove pedal give out. It didn’t snap, but it bent downwards enough to go past the stopper on the pedal hanger.

I wanted to bring this up, but I still wouldn’t worry about it. At least if you’re not a big time jumper. They were probably a very old model as well, and I’d imagine for them to have been upgraded a few times since. And if there really were a common problem, we’d have way more than this one known incident.

Personally I’ve ridden on newer Nylonoves for just a few minutes on a strange wheel, so I can’t really say anything about them other than I personally wouldn’t get a version where the front end is narrower than the rest. It just doesn’t fit my foot positioning.

• Upvote 1

You’ll not regret getting Nylonove pedals.

They’re less than half the weight of Begode CNC pedals, but twice as strong. The grip studs are adjustable for optimised holding grip and feel, which the Begode ones aren’t either. The original Begode CNC pedals are much more robust than the newer style, albeit at a weight penalty, which adds a kilo to the all up weight when compared to the ballistic-strength Nylonove offerings. I have a set of Nylonove pedals on each of my 3 wheels: best by far.    I took off a pair of original CNC Begode pedals I’d bought and fitted straight out in preference to using the stock pedals supplied with the MSP, but later replaced them with Nylonove ones, having never set a foot on the original stock pedals. I’d be very surprised to learn of anyone who managed to break a Nylonove pedal without destroying their EUC chassis in the process, it’s just not that type of relationship!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Vanturion said:

If anything it'd be between the Begode all-model size L or the XL model with the cutout for the flexpads so pedals would clear accel pad and stow upright. With the latter I'm a little wary of the missing support though as I tend to ride with my feet wide along the outer pedal edges. Hard to say if that'd be an issue without trying them out first.

I'm not a fan of pedals with a cutout exactly for this reason of the missing support, because I ride also with duck feet position.

I tried the XL with the cutout after I had the standard XL for long time. Just one 50km trip and I removed the pedals and used the standard XL again until today. 

Exactly this experience led to the fact that I have finally designed my adjustable Jump-Blocks the next day. Now I don't need  pedals with a cutout anymore. 😅

1 hour ago, EUC Custom Power-Pads said:

I tried the XL with the cutout after I had the standard XL for long time. Just one 50km trip and I removed the pedals and used the standard XL again until today. 

I believe it, scratching the flexpad cutout option off the list.

Cool, that really narrows it down then. Very helpful comments all :thumbup:

• 1 month later...

Tested out the new Nylonove pedals yesterday.. I definitely don't regret buying. Could immediately feel the difference described above, even on the tarmac, taking out some of the harshness I'd typically experience riding the original rigid metal pedals. Should've upgraded earlier :)

Riding boots are flat soled so I thought the middle overlay might not feel right, but they were barely noticeable on the ride so I'll probably keep them on. I'm still not exactly sure what the middle piece is for though, extra arch support maybe?

One last observation - I can still halfway fold up the pedals too and they stay stuck with pads basically located exactly where I had them before, so this was a nice bonus I wasn't expecting. Before, I was thinking about designing new acceleration pads with removable lower pieces that would quick connect/disconnect using strong magnets to allow close fit and full pedal retraction regardless of pedal design, but the need isn't really there now so much. Maybe later.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

I'm curious how accurate the maximum 120 kg feature of the Nylonove pedals is? I'm 125 kg with gear, and have been looking at them for a long time but that 120 kg warning has always kept me away. For reference, I don't do large jumps or anything, just the occasional curb drop. Anyone know how strong they actually are?

33 minutes ago, Zalagator said:

I'm curious how accurate the maximum 120 kg feature of the Nylonove pedals is? I'm 125 kg with gear, and have been looking at them for a long time but that 120 kg warning has always kept me away. For reference, I don't do large jumps or anything, just the occasional curb drop. Anyone know how strong they actually are?

I'm also 125kg, but - Butt naked. That weight limit, is just a limit. And into that limit are accounted for jumps and things like that. Even going off regular high curb - the impact is way, way higher than simply riding and being 5kg over the limit. (Example 80kg ridder doing jumps and such thing are way worse for pedals, than guy being 125kg simply riding.) 

Simply don't jump and do anything that would apply more force onto pedals and you will be fine. I for reference got Hextech honeycomb pedals - no problem over 3 years. 

Most things are overbuilt.. That 120kg limit doesn't mean if 121kg guy steps on it - it will break. :D My euc carry limit is 265lbs and im 285lbs.. Everything working fine after 3 years.

Edited by Funky

On 12/27/2023 at 9:58 PM, Zalagator said:

I have already sold the NyloNove to some customers who were in the same weight class and have not received any negative feedback in the last 2 years. However, I would avoid big jumps at this weight.