Jump to content

Pedal Upgrade: Nylonove vs CNC?


0000

Recommended Posts

Just happened to notice a good-sized crack developing on one of my stock cast pedals the other day, so I guess it's upgrade time. I can't decide which way to go though, even after searching posts here. Cast is definitely out, so it's between CNC and Nylonove (that is assuming I can work around the infamous frequent out-of-stock market status if going with Nylonove).

Theoretically it comes down to one thing - I think I would like the slight shock absorbing properties of the Nylonove pedals I read about from others, but, I don't want to end up with an expensive set of pedals that end up broken after a season or two of trail riding.

So basically I'm wondering if anyone has feedback or heard something about how the Nylonoves hold up (or don't) to pedal clips and wrecks over time?

I've scoped a few reviews here and on YT of people liking them, but little to nothing on durability and how they hold up longer term-ish to off road abuse. Halp.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I ride mostly offroad for over 3 years and had in this time never a problem with NyloNove on all wheels (MCM5, MSP, S18, Master) and I love them. Removed my CNC Begode Master pedals directly after unboxing and replaced it with NyloNove. 

I would never ride anything else. 

PS. I have some NyloNove pedals in stock, but I'm on vacation right now 😬

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

That's good feedback - pretty much what I was intuiting too, that a rider wouldn't want to go back to anything else. It's just my stock pedals have taken some serious abuse and while pedal damage is less likely to happen now with all the riding experience, I know I'll still get pedal clips here and there at various speeds as long as I'm out exploring new trails.

Here's an idea of what one of the originals put up in about 3000 km:

cast_pedal.thumb.jpg.224ad1b75c2c56cbcc9b22074a14a432.jpg

I'll mull it over and wait to see if anyone else has anything to say given the thread prompt. I haven't read anything to dissuade from Nylonoves yet like "oh yeah, first rock he hit snapped one of the honeycombs" or anything like that so that's encouraging.

If anything it'd be between the Begode all-model size L or the XL model with the cutout for the flexpads so pedals would clear accel pad and stow upright. With the latter I'm a little wary of the missing support though as I tend to ride with my feet wide along the outer pedal edges. Hard to say if that'd be an issue without trying them out first.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Nylon is a really tough material, so it shouldn’t snap no matter what you do with it. But while tough, it isn’t completely rigid, which is what gives it the slight shock absorbing quality.

 There was a video going round at some point of a Russian jumper that landed a bit badly which made the Nylonove pedal give out. It didn’t snap, but it bent downwards enough to go past the stopper on the pedal hanger.

I wanted to bring this up, but I still wouldn’t worry about it. At least if you’re not a big time jumper. They were probably a very old model as well, and I’d imagine for them to have been upgraded a few times since. And if there really were a common problem, we’d have way more than this one known incident.

 Personally I’ve ridden on newer Nylonoves for just a few minutes on a strange wheel, so I can’t really say anything about them other than I personally wouldn’t get a version where the front end is narrower than the rest. It just doesn’t fit my foot positioning.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

You’ll not regret getting Nylonove pedals.
 

They’re less than half the weight of Begode CNC pedals, but twice as strong. The grip studs are adjustable for optimised holding grip and feel, which the Begode ones aren’t either. The original Begode CNC pedals are much more robust than the newer style, albeit at a weight penalty, which adds a kilo to the all up weight when compared to the ballistic-strength Nylonove offerings. I have a set of Nylonove pedals on each of my 3 wheels: best by far.    I took off a pair of original CNC Begode pedals I’d bought and fitted straight out in preference to using the stock pedals supplied with the MSP, but later replaced them with Nylonove ones, having never set a foot on the original stock pedals. I’d be very surprised to learn of anyone who managed to break a Nylonove pedal without destroying their EUC chassis in the process, it’s just not that type of relationship!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Vanturion said:

If anything it'd be between the Begode all-model size L or the XL model with the cutout for the flexpads so pedals would clear accel pad and stow upright. With the latter I'm a little wary of the missing support though as I tend to ride with my feet wide along the outer pedal edges. Hard to say if that'd be an issue without trying them out first.

I'm not a fan of pedals with a cutout exactly for this reason of the missing support, because I ride also with duck feet position.

I tried the XL with the cutout after I had the standard XL for long time. Just one 50km trip and I removed the pedals and used the standard XL again until today. 

Exactly this experience led to the fact that I have finally designed my adjustable Jump-Blocks the next day. Now I don't need  pedals with a cutout anymore. 😅

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, EUC Custom Power-Pads said:

I tried the XL with the cutout after I had the standard XL for long time. Just one 50km trip and I removed the pedals and used the standard XL again until today. 

I believe it, scratching the flexpad cutout option off the list.

Cool, that really narrows it down then. Very helpful comments all :thumbup:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

Tested out the new Nylonove pedals yesterday.. I definitely don't regret buying. Could immediately feel the difference described above, even on the tarmac, taking out some of the harshness I'd typically experience riding the original rigid metal pedals. Should've upgraded earlier :)

Riding boots are flat soled so I thought the middle overlay might not feel right, but they were barely noticeable on the ride so I'll probably keep them on. I'm still not exactly sure what the middle piece is for though, extra arch support maybe?

One last observation - I can still halfway fold up the pedals too and they stay stuck with pads basically located exactly where I had them before, so this was a nice bonus I wasn't expecting. Before, I was thinking about designing new acceleration pads with removable lower pieces that would quick connect/disconnect using strong magnets to allow close fit and full pedal retraction regardless of pedal design, but the need isn't really there now so much. Maybe later.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

I'm curious how accurate the maximum 120 kg feature of the Nylonove pedals is? I'm 125 kg with gear, and have been looking at them for a long time but that 120 kg warning has always kept me away. For reference, I don't do large jumps or anything, just the occasional curb drop. Anyone know how strong they actually are?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, Zalagator said:

I'm curious how accurate the maximum 120 kg feature of the Nylonove pedals is? I'm 125 kg with gear, and have been looking at them for a long time but that 120 kg warning has always kept me away. For reference, I don't do large jumps or anything, just the occasional curb drop. Anyone know how strong they actually are?

I'm also 125kg, but - Butt naked. That weight limit, is just a limit. And into that limit are accounted for jumps and things like that. Even going off regular high curb - the impact is way, way higher than simply riding and being 5kg over the limit. (Example 80kg ridder doing jumps and such thing are way worse for pedals, than guy being 125kg simply riding.) 

Simply don't jump and do anything that would apply more force onto pedals and you will be fine. I for reference got Hextech honeycomb pedals - no problem over 3 years. 

Most things are overbuilt.. That 120kg limit doesn't mean if 121kg guy steps on it - it will break. :D My euc carry limit is 265lbs and im 285lbs.. Everything working fine after 3 years.

Edited by Funky
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/27/2023 at 9:58 PM, Zalagator said:

I'm curious how accurate the maximum 120 kg feature of the Nylonove pedals is? I'm 125 kg with gear, and have been looking at them for a long time but that 120 kg warning has always kept me away. For reference, I don't do large jumps or anything, just the occasional curb drop. Anyone know how strong they actually are?

I have already sold the NyloNove to some customers who were in the same weight class and have not received any negative feedback in the last 2 years. However, I would avoid big jumps at this weight. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 months later...
On 12/28/2023 at 10:53 PM, EUC Custom Power-Pads said:

I have already sold the NyloNove to some customers who were in the same weight class and have not received any negative feedback in the last 2 years. However, I would avoid big jumps at this weight. 

I’m just reading through this interesting post, because I’ve placed the order to get these pedals…

I have bothering me question since ~ the size…

I’m small lad in comparison to some of you, so I’ve chosen size L (270mm length), but at first go I wanted XL (280mm)…

The stock pedals on my wheel are 230mm if I’m correct, so my sole’s overlapping the front and rear of the pedal with my shoe being size 8UK(42EU).

I’m just having dilemma whether L size will work for me better than XL 🙉🙊🙈

My bare foot is around 266mm ~ this has made me to go for 270mm pedals (size L).

So the pedals are matching my bare foot size like made to measure ~ but the shoe’s sole is longer than this, it’s obvious it has to be longer…

I’m feeling stupid being worried for 10mm difference 🙈

@0000 you have most probably got yours NYLONOVE pedals my friend, as this post is dated few months ago today 😉

How’s the feeling, do you like it so far please?

I guess you went for XL size ~ how is it matching your shoes?

I’d like to hear your feedback 👍
Does it matter @EUC Custom Power-Pads please?

The 10mm difference 🙊🙉🙈

Thank you in advance.

Art.

 

Edited by PogArtTi
Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, EUC Custom Power-Pads said:

It's only 5mm at the front and 5mm at the rear. 5mm more at the rear is absolutely unimportant and the 5mm more at the front with your shoe size makes also no real difference.

I do appreciate your answer a lot ~ 🙈

It’s sort of choosing between one or two chocolates to have 😅

Thanks ❤️

Art.

Edited by PogArtTi
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yes, I've heard the question all the time as to whether L or XL is the better choice. In your case, you can take whichever you like better. Both pedals have tiny advantages and disadvantages. In an extreme lean angle, you may have a few millimeters more distance to the ground with XL before you touch the ground. Uphill on a protruding root or stone you lose a few millimeters and you get stuck. With L it's the other way around.:efee612b4b: L offers a little more space for the foot if you stand in duck foot position like most people.

Edited by EUC Custom Power-Pads
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, EUC Custom Power-Pads said:

Yes, I've heard the question all the time as to whether L or XL is the better choice. In your case, you can take whichever you like better. Both pedals have tiny advantages and disadvantages. In an extreme lean angle, you may have a few millimeters more distance to the ground with XL before you touch the ground. Uphill on a protruding root or stone you lose a few millimeters and you get stuck. With L it's the other way around.:efee612b4b: L offers a little more space for the foot if you stand in duck foot position like most people.

Thank you 👍

You sharing important aspects, which are missing from online description etc.

What you’re sharing is an user experience/point about pros vs cons 👍

It is very welcomed by me, it’s giving me some more clues of what to expect…

 

Few years ago I wanted to learn inline skating (this’s actually the reason I left unicycle riding (2018)~just wanted more exercise, workout alike…)

I could choose wheels size like 80mm, or 84mm, or 90mm ~ I was struggling a lot!

80mm vs 84mm 🙊🙉🙈?!

Same problem to pedals, isn’t it 😅

There was no way around it but test it on my own 🙈

It took me long time to eventually find my sweet spot ~ which is 90mm 👍

 

You’ve mentioned duck foot position ~ I’m rather keep my feet pointed straight forward, touching the side of the panels, but I’m moving my foot while making turns…

It’s helping me to better control my balance, and I’ve found it comes naturally to do so…

Also the stock pedals I have are much shorter than NYLONOVE, and I like it this way?

I’m sort of comfy to push the front edge of these pedals…

Then when moving my foot to prepare for the turning ~ I’m sort of sensing the pedal’s edge with the shoe’s sole…

The above routine has made me go for NYLONOVE size L, as I like to overlap the edge of the pedal, rather than not being able too ~ if that’s making sense 😉


Then the doubts came across 😅😅😅

What if ~ XL could be better?

Lol 😅😅😅

 

Reading your advice is making me believe, that I’ve done right thing getting size L 👍

Thanks!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

My shoe size is 46. Feet is 27Cm. I'm riding 1/3 feet hanging over front of pedal.. My pedal size is 240mm.

If one is only cruising more or less on straight paths, no need to do sharp turns - bigger pedal the better.. 

 

Also you need to measure pedal height from the ground.. The higher the pedals are - the bigger pedals you can get without worrying that you will touch the ground doing sharp turns. My 18xl original pedals would touch ground in sharp turns 180 on spot.. My aftermarket honeycomb pedals are 2Cm higher from ground thanks to new "L" brackets. Now they don't touch the ground while doing 180 on spot.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Funky said:

My shoe size is 46. Feet is 27Cm. I'm riding 1/3 feet hanging over front of pedal.. My pedal size is 240mm.

If one is only cruising more or less on straight paths, no need to do sharp turns - bigger pedal the better.. 

 

Also you need to measure pedal height from the ground.. The higher the pedals are - the bigger pedals you can get without worrying that you will touch the ground doing sharp turns. My 18xl original pedals would touch ground in sharp turns 180 on spot.. My aftermarket honeycomb pedals are 2Cm higher from ground thanks to new "L" brackets. Now they don't touch the ground while doing 180 on spot.

Thanks for your feedback @Funky 👍

I do benefit from your description a lot, it’s giving me idea of what other riders have, and how it’s working for them…

I’m exploring town centres rather than long trips, so in my case sharp turns are very welcome and all sort of manoeuvrability …

It seems you’re confirming that I’ve made a wise choice choosing size L 👍

@EUC Custom Power-Pads has mentioned too, that I’ll be better of moving my foot on size L pedal ~ this is what I’m after.

I’m aware the difference of 10mm in length is minor, so I shouldn’t bother what size would be better…

On the other hand the 10mm difference was designed for some purpose, isn’t it?

Therefore I wanted to ask question whether I did right choice or not 👍

As I mention earlier regarding rollerblades experience ~ 4mm wheel diameter difference between 80mm wheel vs 84mm is minor, but if you ride ~ you get the sense of it, and you will prefer one over the other for your riding environment and style.

The same must have apply regarding the 10mm difference in NYLONOVE pedals, am I right?

So I’m preferably more after agile moves, tight turns rather than fast rides at straight line, cruising alike.

So size L should be alright 👍

 

Just moments ago I ‘ve noticed the pedals are not made to the same pattern, I mean L vs XL?

I’ve tried to see description, but I hardly get any clear information regarding the shape difference…

So I’m again craving for some details if possible @EUC Custom Power-Pads please?

Could you in few words describe for me my friend, if there’s a reason behind the shape difference between L vs XL size, or it is just manufacturing design that suits better for each size please?

 

Again ~ comparing the shape side to side, size L is a bit broader, I mean fuller at the near side, where it’s connected to the wheel..?

Size XL looks narrower to me, and the mentioned near side has slight cuts outs, so it’s not touching the side of the wheel at its full length as the size L does..?

I’m riding with feet directed straight, so I’m positioning my shoes very close along the sides of the wheel…

Looking at pictures below is making my liking towards size L even more ~ it’s because they have not the gap next to the wheel, which is visible on size XL…

Thank you in advance !!!

Art.

IMG_1762.jpeg

Edited by PogArtTi
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, PogArtTi said:

Thanks for your feedback @Funky 👍

I do benefit from your description a lot, it’s giving me idea of what other riders have, and how it’s working for them…

I’m exploring town centres rather than long trips, so in my case sharp turns are very welcome and all sort of manoeuvrability …

It seems you’re confirming that I’ve made a wise choice choosing size L 👍

@EUC Custom Power-Pads has mentioned too, that I’ll be better of moving my foot on size L pedal ~ this is what I’m after.

I’m aware the difference of 10mm in length is minor, so I shouldn’t bother what size would be better…

On the other hand the 10mm difference was designed for some purpose, isn’t it?

Therefore I wanted to ask question whether I did right choice or not 👍

As I mention earlier regarding rollerblades experience ~ 4mm wheel diameter difference between 80mm wheel vs 84mm is minor, but if you ride ~ you get the sense of it, and you will prefer one over the other for your riding environment and style.

The same must have apply regarding the 10mm difference in NYLONOVE pedals, am I right?

So I’m preferably more after agile moves, tight turns rather than fast rides at straight line, cruising alike.

So size L should be alright 👍

 

Just moments ago I ‘ve noticed the pedals are not made to the same pattern, I mean L vs XL?

I’ve tried to see description, but I hardly get any clear information regarding the shape difference…

So I’m again craving for some details if possible @EUC Custom Power-Pads please?

Could you in few words describe for me my friend, if there’s a reason behind the shape difference between L vs XL size, or it is just manufacturing design that suits better for each size please?

 

Again ~ comparing the shape side to side, size L is a bit broader, I mean fuller at the near side, where it’s connected to the wheel..?

Size XL looks narrower to me, and the mentioned near side has slight cuts outs, so it’s not touching the side of the wheel at its full length as the size L does..?

I’m riding with feet directed straight, so I’m positioning my shoes very close along the sides of the wheel…

Looking at pictures below is making my liking towards size L even more ~ it’s because they have not the gap next to the wheel, which is visible on size XL…

Thank you in advance !!!

Art.

IMG_1762.jpeg

Yeah - from what you said L will suit you way better. Also no gap..

Going from 230mm (Your original pedals? Go measure them maybe? To be sure.:D) to 270mm already will be BIG difference.

If i'm gonna buy Begode Falcon - it has 285mm pedals.. Me coming from 240mm to 285mm also will be big difference. No more 1/3 feet over pedal riding.:) At start it felt like i'm gonna slide off pedal while braking..:D

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Funky said:

Yeah - from what you said L will suit you way better. Also no gap..

Going from 230mm (Your original pedals? Go measure them maybe? To be sure.:D) to 270mm already will be BIG difference.

If i'm gonna buy Begode Falcon - it has 285mm pedals.. Me coming from 240mm to 285mm also will be big difference. No more 1/3 feet over pedal riding.:) At start it felt like i'm gonna slide off pedal while braking..:D

You’re correct ~ stock pedals are about 230mm 👍

I think so too ~ having 4cm more of platform to stand on will make some noticeable difference for sure 😅

I do over pedal riding myself, it’s literally no way around it as our boots do stick out at both ends 🙉🙊🙈

This is also why I changed my mind, and have asked to send me size L instead…

I’ve got a good feeling the 1cm less underneath my sole will make me feel more familiar, having at least a bit of a pedal’s edge to apply sort of over pedal riding, lol 😅

5 minutes ago, Funky said:

Also you won't notice that gap.. As "L" bracket will fill it in.. (Sides and center same level as "L" bracket.) Yes L looks "fatter", but you won't be putting feet that close to wheel..

Thanks !

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...