Begode App (and firmware) - summer 2023

EUCzero

I rode the Extreme to work today.  It had an intermittent electronic vibration at 35 to 40 mph and seemed to lack torque over 40 mph.  I updated its FW Version GW1825006 before the ride.  I WON't be road riding that wheel again until I hear of a FW update that addresses the vibration issues.  I now believe Chooch was going 35 and FW induced his crash.  My torque margine was non-existent at 40 mph.  Scary.

13 hours ago, Elliott Reitz said:

I rode the Extreme to work today.  It had an intermittent electronic vibration at 35 to 40 mph and seemed to lack torque over 40 mph.  I updated its FW Version GW1825006 before the ride.  I WON't be road riding that wheel again until I hear of a FW update that addresses the vibration issues.  I now believe Chooch was going 35 and FW induced his crash.  My torque margine was non-existent at 40 mph.  Scary.

Elliott: first, I just sent a PM related to something you mentioned elsewhere.  Yeah, the firmware "development" on these devices seems rather sketchy.  I have noticed that my A2 gets easily confused after a tumble or tip-over.  Upon setting it upright again, sometimes it has a significantly different "level set-point" than before.  A shut down & restart brings it back to normal calibration.  And every now & then it seems to want to engage the motor, as though it cannot find the "right attitude".  That hasn't happened in a bit, but I am past the stage of tumbling in the yard after a few feet of attempted riding, so it doesn't get tested too often.

That said, re: Chooch - It appears that he was overrunning his batteries at that point - as he has complained about his very hard riding draining the battery packs too quickly.  It is ironic as he then is blindly recommending the V14 - the battery pack is the same size and so I wondering what he thinks will be different.  Physics are what they are, I don't believe anyone has designed a more magically efficient motor, so this issue won't be any different on the V14 except it may better protect the rider from exceeding what the batteries can output.  If the FW lacks proper warning via PWM settings, have you played with EUCdash?  I just looked at it yesterday - I really dislike the Begode app, the demand for location to be activated is annoying, and it keeps locking up on my phone.  I suspect it is trying to do things that GrapheneOS does not allow.  I think I will pick up a $30 prepaid Android phone for EUC use.  WIsh there was a CHEAP small phone, maybe around the size of the old iPhone4.  Saw one but they want $150 - seems an ESP32 board would be sufficient - and am disappointed that I discover the DIY EUCwatch info, only to then see it has been left dying on the vine!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, OldSolo said:

Elliott: first, I just sent a PM related to something you mentioned elsewhere.  Yeah, the firmware "development" on these devices seems rather sketchy.  I have noticed that my A2 gets easily confused after a tumble or tip-over.  Upon setting it upright again, sometimes it has a significantly different "level set-point" than before.  A shut down & restart brings it back to normal calibration.  And every now & then it seems to want to engage the motor, as though it cannot find the "right attitude".  That hasn't happened in a bit, but I am past the stage of tumbling in the yard after a few feet of attempted riding, so it doesn't get tested too often.

That said, re: Chooch - It appears that he was overrunning his batteries at that point - as he has complained about his very hard riding draining the battery packs too quickly.  It is ironic as he then is blindly recommending the V14 - the battery pack is the same size and so I wondering what he thinks will be different.  Physics are what they are, I don't believe anyone has designed a more magically efficient motor, so this issue won't be any different on the V14 except it may better protect the rider from exceeding what the batteries can output.  If the FW lacks proper warning via PWM settings, have you played with EUCdash?  I just looked at it yesterday - I really dislike the Begode app, the demand for location to be activated is annoying, and it keeps locking up on my phone.  I suspect it is trying to do things that GrapheneOS does not allow.  I think I will pick up a $30 prepaid Android phone for EUC use.  WIsh there was a CHEAP small phone, maybe around the size of the old iPhone4.  Saw one but they want $150 - seems an ESP32 board would be sufficient - and am disappointed that I discover the DIY EUCwatch info, only to then see it has been left dying on the vine!

PM Thaks. 

Batterie sag?  No.  I doon't think Chooch was over-running his batteries since he has 40T cells like I have in the Master.  I've gone 50 mph on my GW Master many times with <60% charge.  Since the free spin speed of the Extreme is only 2 mph less than the Master... and because I feel vibration at 35 mph... I believe there is a back-emf related timing issue with the PWM control circuit's timing.  Seems BG tried to maximize performance to the point the back-emf is reversing the torque at a small fraction of the duty cycle.  The closer to max speed the more serious the danger becomes.  Kept me from challenging the extreme above 44.5 mph yesterday.  Today its staying home and I'm either going to drive or ride the Master .  It is only 44 F so prolly the car today.

• Like 1

Perhaps I am mistaken, but I think in a recent video when he was complaining about the battery dropping too fast, he said something about that being part of his crash ... or maybe I read that between the lines ... or maybe this is simply a part of my aged brain misfiring :blink1:.  I don't know enough about the controller circuitry to assess your theory - my few EE classes were perhaps 46-47 years ago!

That said, I AM seeking to learn a bit more about these controllers.  Some years back I bought a hybrid mower (actually a GREAT use of hybrid, better than cars I think) that was incredible EXCEPT that the controllers were underspec'd.  There were three controllers, one for the drive & 2 for the deck (each blade separate, of course).  I have blown both over time, and have a second mower someone gave me as his drive controller fried & he just wanted it hauled off!  I picked up a controller (e-bike) that I want to adapt if I can.  It's a great mower, and it has a built in 7kw generator.  A mobile generator is rather cool!  It will run around on just battery, but obviously won't mow without the engine running.  The torque is amazing for mowing, and the loss of efficiency due to belt slippage is eliminated.  Just need to learn a little more about the controllers - mower just needs variable speed & reverse - pretty simple (and of course the blades simply are on or off).

4 hours ago, OldSolo said:

Perhaps I am mistaken, but I think in a recent video when he was complaining about the battery dropping too fast, he said something about that being part of his crash ... or maybe I read that between the lines ... or maybe this is simply a part of my aged brain misfiring :blink1:.  I don't know enough about the controller circuitry to assess your theory - my few EE classes were perhaps 46-47 years ago!

That said, I AM seeking to learn a bit more about these controllers.  Some years back I bought a hybrid mower (actually a GREAT use of hybrid, better than cars I think) that was incredible EXCEPT that the controllers were underspec'd.  There were three controllers, one for the drive & 2 for the deck (each blade separate, of course).  I have blown both over time, and have a second mower someone gave me as his drive controller fried & he just wanted it hauled off!  I picked up a controller (e-bike) that I want to adapt if I can.  It's a great mower, and it has a built in 7kw generator.  A mobile generator is rather cool!  It will run around on just battery, but obviously won't mow without the engine running.  The torque is amazing for mowing, and the loss of efficiency due to belt slippage is eliminated.  Just need to learn a little more about the controllers - mower just needs variable speed & reverse - pretty simple (and of course the blades simply are on or off).

When you think about it, a back-emf or timing issue with the pwm to motor where it fights itself would drain his battery faster than normal too.  I'm a 60 YO rocket scientist/engineer.  I'm convinced there's a FW timing issue from my observations.  Especially on the non-C40 motor wheels.  But my Extreme has a vibe issue at 35 mph and wimpy torque at 44.  Scary to commute on it till FW fix admitted by BG and resolved. Can't recommend its purchase till then either. 

So my post on this subject to Begode Electric Unicycle just got removed (after a week and 50 comments).  What's next?  I hope its not fire.  Just typical chicom-buthurt over honest customer feedback I hope.  Like anyone see any bad words?   My edits only added the FW versions.  The post was: 

"I think Chooch Euc is right about one thing. Post August Begode FW is DANGEROUS! After 4 FW updates to Extreme, Master, and two T4s, I quickly had to revert the T4s (from GW2014506 back to GW1612204) to get them to stop buzzing even while riding.
Update 2: The Extreme still has electronic buzzing vibration at 35 to 40 mph using FW Version GW1825006 (after checking slider bushing set screws and controller screw tightness).
Update 1: I found repeatable vibration riding Master with FW GW2014506). After finishing this video I checked the app and it wasn't in Race Mode either. So yea, I reverted the Master FW now too GW2014503. Its a relief to have it's reliable performance characteristics back rather than a new 50 mph cutout fear (I often exceed 50 mph on my commute with it).
Hay Begode, next time you call a mode like trail mode a legacy mode try making it the actual legacy mode too. Like have Legacy, Trail, and Race modes. Till then FW updates = messed up wheels. Good luck anyone doing FW updates.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-mD0kDoziM"

Criteria met for declining

Keywords in post
Post has certain keywords

On 10/19/2023 at 4:25 AM, OldSolo said:

I really dislike the Begode app, the demand for location to be activated is annoying, and it keeps locking up on my phone.  I suspect it is trying to do things that GrapheneOS does not allow.  I think I will pick up a $30 prepaid Android phone for EUC use.  WIsh there was a CHEAP small phone, maybe around the size of the old iPhone4.  Saw one but they want $150 - seems an ESP32 board would be sufficient - and am disappointed that I discover the DIY EUCwatch info, only to then see it has been left dying on the vine!

I use EucWorld. There was a recent update that now has the Extreme listed. I didn't check for the A2. @Seba is working on the smart bms feature. Once that is implemented I won't use the Begode app. The only time I use it is for the smart bms monitor on my Extreme. I update firmware with EucWorld now that it is available.

• Like 2

On 10/20/2023 at 3:04 PM, Unipilot69 said:

I use EucWorld. There was a recent update that now has the Extreme listed. I didn't check for the A2. @Seba is working on the smart bms feature. Once that is implemented I won't use the Begode app. The only time I use it is for the smart bms monitor on my Extreme. I update firmware with EucWorld now that it is available.

Smart BMS in Extreme is already implemented, as with other new features like dynamic tiltback and racing mode. Also Wear OS app is now available in Google Play. Not to mention clear safety margin readout on the main screen :)

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, Planemo said:

https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cy1Yn1sPlxS/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

Dawn with an unstoppable EX30 firmware update...

the reward for breaking the unwritten rule of firmware update; don't update unless you have a problem that can be fixed by the update.  Relax and let someone else have the pleasure :P

• Thanks 2

On 10/27/2023 at 11:41 AM, Robse said:

the reward for breaking the unwritten rule of firmware update; don't update unless you have a problem that can be fixed by the update.  Relax and let someone else have the pleasure :P

It was not updating the firmware. It was testing a TEST firmware from the TEST folder. I agree that Begode do not alwasy fully test the firmwares before releasing them. but this was something else.

5 minutes ago, EUCzero said:

It was not updating the firmware. It was testing a TEST firmware from the TEST folder. I agree that Begode do not alwasy fully test the firmwares before releasing them. but this was something else.

Me like this: " It was testing a TEST firmware from the TEST folder" :roflmao:

• 9 months later...

You do realize that if you use anything ie. computer/phone/loginto google/facebook/meta/bank/just about everything especially now it’s all smart and a.i. your location is the least of your worries…. 
so, I would just rather my ap knows exactly where my wheel is that is, unless I am dropping off several kilos of cocaine where even if you have up to an ounce they don’t care unless you live in a country where possession of marijuana is the death sentence…. Then , maybe turn your location off. Right, for everything!   

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Mallace said:

I would just rather my ap knows exactly where my wheel is that is, unless I am dropping off several kilos of cocaine

lol, imaginary games of cops and robbers on electric unicycles, you be like, "catch me if you can"

• Haha 1