Begode App (and firmware) - summer 2023

On 9/6/2023 at 6:03 PM, eezo said:

3. If EUCW has the latest firmwares loaded, you could use that, but I don't know that it does. For my comfort level, when it comes to running firmware updates, I prefer to use official methods in case something goes wrong.

Sometimes non-official methods works better that the ones provided by OEM apps... ;) If you think that OEM apps are flawless you have to be a really happy guy :)

18 hours ago, eezo said:

The "maximum speed reminder" beeps -- what's the beep pattern for these vs the PWM "3rd alarm" beeps?

I'm not sure if this is a wheel feature. At least in my tests, when changing this setting, nothing has been sent to the wheel. This may lead to a conclusion that this is a Begode app feature and instead of wheel beeps you will get sounds/vibrations from the phone. I didn't tested it anyway, so I can be wrong.

On 9/6/2023 at 5:28 PM, Planemo said:

3. Should I even use the Begode app or go with EUCW? And if EUCW, do I still need to register with Begode?

No. When using EUC World you don't have to register with Begode. For user's convenience and improved reliability, EUC World servers hold its own repository of official Begode firmware (and Freestyler's custom firmware too). This repository may be few days behind Begode firmware repository, as I always personally review firmwares to not include test firmwares.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Seba said:

I'm not sure if this is a wheel feature. At least in my tests, when changing this setting, nothing has been sent to the wheel. This may lead to a conclusion that this is a Begode app feature and instead of wheel beeps you will get sounds/vibrations from the phone. I didn't tested it anyway, so I can be wrong.

This is a question about the wheel behavior -- when the Begode app has a "Maximum Speed Reminder" set, what is the beep pattern that the wheel speaker uses when that maximum speed is reached. This is unrelated to EUC World.

20 minutes ago, eezo said:

This is a question about the wheel behavior -- when the Begode app has a "Maximum Speed Reminder" set, what is the beep pattern that the wheel speaker uses when that maximum speed is reached. This is unrelated to EUC World.

Where did I wrote that this is EUC World related? I was clearly referring to Begode app. Please read this once again (key parts are in bold):

If no setting is sent to the wheel when you change max speed reminder, how would you expect that the wheel will react?

UPDATE: I've just tested this feature of Begode app and it works as I suspected. Exceeding the speed above the "Maximum speed reminder" setting causes the phone to vibrate. That's all.

Edited by Seba
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/29/2023 at 3:00 AM, Charg1na said:
On 8/26/2023 at 3:28 AM, EUCzero said:

...Operating mode (race mode/offroad mode):

• Race mode: Current mode. (buzzing sound while standstill) .XXXXXX
    • Off road mode: Voltage mode (normal old) More tourque. Stiffer pedals. Flat pedals while jumping?

ce is between "race mode" and "Off road mode"?  

Well I've recently updated firmware and selected/de-selected race mode from 4 wheels:  Master, Extreme, and two T4s.  In each case I got that buzzing sound in race mode that seemed to mostly go away in trail mode to which I tightened the controller bolts and that seemed to work until this morning.  My friend's T4 is still making the buzzing sound at about 10mph in either mode.  He's suspicious on me because I just fixed a flat on his wheel.  Any suggestions to get the buzzing out after tightening the controller to the max?  eg: is there anything in suspension to tighten?  Old firmware version?  How do I fix it?

Edited by Elliott Reitz

2 hours ago, Elliott Reitz said:

Well I've recently updated firmware and selected/de-selected race mode from 4 wheels:  Master, Extreme, and two T4s.  In each case I got that buzzing sound in race mode that seemed to mostly go away in trail mode to which I tightened the controller bolts and that seemed to work until this morning.  My friend's T4 is still making the buzzing sound at about 10mph in either mode.  He's suspicious on me because I just fixed a flat on his wheel.  Any suggestions to get the buzzing out after tightening the controller to the max?  eg: is there anything in suspension to tighten?  Old firmware version?  How do I fix it?

A Firmware version rollback (pre August 2023 version) solved the grinding issue with the T4.  

2 hours ago, Elliott Reitz said:

A Firmware version rollback (pre August 2023 version) solved the grinding issue with the T4.  

On FW update to Master, Extreme, and 2 T4s, they all had electronic grinding in race mode.  They all improved after tightening the control-board screws.  But one of the T4s had to have the firmware reverted to stop the electronic grinding at 10 mph. 

Still there are hints of electronic grinding that I'm occaisionally noticing now while riding.  On my commute with the Master yesterday the perception that there might be some electronic grinding led me to pull over and revert to trail mode.  Then this morning on the Extreme the electronic grinding sensation was subtle but noticeable enough at 35 mph to make me think maybe Chooch's cutout really was 35 mph due to such an effect.  I pulled over and went to trail mode. 

So the new firmware is more agressive in all modes.  And there is something else besides the control board screws (slider bushings probably)  that is loose enough to challenge the feedback loop changes of this latest firmware. 

Quite frankly it scares me at road speeds and I'm probably going to revert the firmware on the Master before commuting on it again.  And I won't likely commuting on the Extreme with that firmware version either.

Elliott

Strange how it's so bad on those particular wheels. Apart from the increase in motor noise on the race firmware, theres zero other vibrations/oscillations/roughness on my EX30. Can't even hear the motor/wheel at walking speed tbh, its only audible whilst static. Unless maybe the race FW is even more 'race' on the Masters etc than the EX and makes it louder/rougher?!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Planemo said:

Strange how it's so bad on those particular wheels. Apart from the increase in motor noise on the race firmware, theres zero other vibrations/oscillations/roughness on my EX30. Can't even hear the motor/wheel at walking speed tbh, its only audible whilst static. Unless maybe the race FW is even more 'race' on the Masters etc than the EX and makes it louder/rougher?!

Same with my Commander Pro. Race mode is loud while stationary but quiets down immediately with any sort of movement. I have had no issues with the firmware (except you can’t convince me to use the kill switch 😝).

Updates: 

Set Screws: The set screws for the copper bushings were all loose on my 3 wheels (probably my friend's T4 also).  I tightened them and they all seemed to "tighten up".  Only on the Extreme did I need to back off the tension on one of them to let it slide freely. 

Firmware:  I've now also reverted my T4 (both T4s now have reverted firmware).  The set screw tightening seemed to remove all the off-road clattering sounds of the T4.  Yet the buzziness  0-1 mph was annoying and it seemed to be fight me more when trollying it in the grass (again 0-1 mph).  So yea reverted and its fine like it had been before FW. 

This FW fk up reminds me of the KS S20 emergency FW update that bricked everyone's wheels.  Sometimes the solutions are worse than what they address. 

Edited by Elliott Reitz
+vid

16 hours ago, Gkindy said:

Same with my Commander Pro. Race mode is loud while stationary but quiets down immediately with any sort of movement. I have had no issues with the firmware (except you can’t convince me to use the kill switch 😝).

I have used the killswitch on the extreme on the last 2 fws a few tomes now, because since then it got fixed....they told lol

I've just updated my Master V3 with the following firmware ->

"Master V2.3_GW2014806"
1. Update time:2023 10 07

I did not try the kill switch nor did I switch to race mode (too afraid to brick my EUC).

Did someone try it and can confirm it's safe ??

So after 4 FW updates to Extreme, Master, and two T4s,  I quickly had to revert the T4s to get them to stop buzzing even while riding. 

And tonight I found repeatable vibration riding Master.  After finishing this video I checked the app and it wasn't in Race Mode either.  So yea, I reverted the Master FW now too.  I'm happy to have it's old performance characteristics back rather than a new 50 mph cutout fear.  

Hay Begode, next time you call a mode like trail mode a legacy mode try making it the actual legacy mode too.  Like have Legacy, Trail, and Race modes.  Till then FW updates = FK'd up wheels.  Good luck anyone doing FW updates.  

7 hours ago, Elliott Reitz said:

Till then FW updates = FK'd up wheels.  Good luck anyone doing FW updates.  

Whilst I don't disbelieve you re the wheels you mention, I just wanted to make it clear that there certainly hasn't been any issues with the latest FW on my EX30. 

And re the set screws, yes in general back them out all the way, this was stated during an ECOdrift Master teardown many moons ago. If you are an unlucky owner who has too much clearance in the bushings then this could cause issues with knocking but my EX has been fine. If anything it's still a tiny bit tight on full compression but I will look into that at some point by checking the action at different motor spacings. It may be that I make up some additional shims for the motor mount, or, shave the existing spacers depending on findings.

• Like 1

Yea I updated to the latest T4 firmware, it is bad. First, the fw version is GW16122210 but after updating it will show GW1612206 via gotway app and euc world so it is the firmware miss reporting its version. Second IMO the fw does not have the right motor parameters, so it has a electronic grinding, with my T4v1 with a v2+ motor and mainboard, the noice changed in 3 "gears" depending on how hard I was leaning. Thirdly the in air tiltback, corner pedal angle and other fixes the newer fw have was back to the pre extreme lvs or worse.

Downgraded to the 20230827 dated GW1612206 and it is worlds better, still has in air pedal dip etc but its the least noticeable I've ever experienced with my T4. If euc world is reading or anyone has a line to him that "new" fw needs to be chopped.

Edited by timmytool
  • Thanks 1

All very strange...it's almost like they are developing the FW on the EX30, getting it right and then simply copying it to all the other models thinking it will work just as well. I was going to suggest that the EX is the only wheel with the C40 motor so it would make sense...but the Extreme has a C40 too doesn't it? I guess that kinda blows out my theory..

12 minutes ago, timmytool said:

Yea I updated to the latest T4 firmware, it is bad. First, the fw version is GW16122210 but after updating it will show GW1612206 via gotway app and euc world so it is the firmware miss reporting its version. Second IMO the fw does not have the right motor parameters, so it has a electronic grinding, with my T4v1 with a v2+ motor and mainboard, the noice changed in 3 "gears" depending on how hard I was leaning. Thirdly the in air tiltback, corner pedal angle and other fixes the newer fw have was back to the pre extreme lvs or worse.

Downgraded to the 20230827 dated GW1612206 and it is worlds better, still has in air pedal dip etc but its the least noticeable I've ever experienced with my T4. If euc world is reading or anyone has a line to him that "new" needs to be chopped.

Thanks for independent verification of my own experience.  To my knowledge that's 3 for 3 T4s and a Master that couldn't handle the latest firmware.  Except for new wheels (Extreme) I don't think most people are watching and doing FW updates.  I only did it because I was doing it for the new Extreme and was fixing a T4.  As for the version I ended up with IDK.  I gave up trying to figure it out when it said GW1612206 regardless of change. I just made sure to go back prior to August.  With the Master I think it ended up being Feb 2023.  

3 hours ago, Planemo said:

Whilst I don't disbelieve you re the wheels you mention, I just wanted to make it clear that there certainly hasn't been any issues with the latest FW on my EX30. 

And re the set screws, yes in general back them out all the way, this was stated during an ECOdrift Master teardown many moons ago. If you are an unlucky owner who has too much clearance in the bushings then this could cause issues with knocking but my EX has been fine. If anything it's still a tiny bit tight on full compression but I will look into that at some point by checking the action at different motor spacings. It may be that I make up some additional shims for the motor mount, or, shave the existing spacers depending on findings.

The T4s were too loose and had clatter chatter noise on grass.  The set screws helped without adding too much stiction.  On the master with 800 miles it only needed minor adjustment.  

2 minutes ago, Planemo said:

All very strange...it's almost like they are developing the FW on the EX30, getting it right and then simply copying it to all the other models thinking it will work just as well. I was going to suggest that the EX is the only wheel with the C40 motor so it would make sense...but the Extreme has a C40 too doesn't it? I guess that kinda blows out my theory..

Ahha!  The Extreme and EX30 have the C40 motor and FW works.  The Master has C38 and FW almost works (subtle but trustworthy at speed???).  The T4s have C30 motors (incompatible with new FW).

56 minutes ago, Elliott Reitz said:

Ahha!  The Extreme and EX30 have the C40 motor and FW works. 

Oh right I thought you had issues with the Extreme too.

In that case it may be like I said, somewhere down the line the EX30 & Extreme FW's have been mistakenly copied to all the other wheels. It wouldn't surprise me if the motor differences are causing the problems. I'm only guessing here though.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Planemo said:

Oh right I thought you had issues with the Extreme too.

In that case it may be like I said, somewhere down the line the EX30 & Extreme FW's have been mistakenly copied to all the other wheels. It wouldn't surprise me if the motor differences are causing the problems. I'm only guessing here though.

My Extreme (with latest FW) has stand-still grinding badly in race mode.  In trail mode it still has a tiny amount of 0 mph grind-sound but I've not noticed it grinding while riding (still not certain its clean though). 

5 hours ago, Elliott Reitz said:

Thanks for independent verification of my own experience.  To my knowledge that's 3 for 3 T4s and a Master that couldn't handle the latest firmware. 

4 for 4, was on a group trail ride today, a T4v3 had issues and a fw rollback fix them.

• Like 1

On 10/14/2023 at 1:03 PM, timmytool said:

4 for 4, was on a group trail ride today, a T4v3 had issues and a fw rollback fix them.

In case Begode reads, from another forum:

• Looking through screen shots of EUC world from the Master I think bad version was GW2014506 (per EUC world readout which was questioned by another blogger). Really old screenshots have GW2014503. And for you I just reconnected to the wheel and confirmed the reverted FW is again GW2014503 (comforting since I know that version is the same as the one that has 800 miles on it working).
  • On the T4s I think the bad FW version was the same GW2014506 and the working/reverted version is GW1612204.

12 hours ago, RJohn said:

There is a new update for  T4

20231017_090726.jpg

I got that same message.  My answer was:

Wanna?  No, not really.  I don't personally use the alarms.  Instead I rely upon having some speed and torque margin for what I'm doing with what I'm riding. 

As for my recent FW problems, the reverted FW is working fine.  My lesson learned:  don't update FW unless its a new wheel or there's a really good reason to do so. 

• Like 1

This new alarm modes are annoying as hell because they start 10% below the set pwm ...they are not nescessary because you can simply set your pwm alarm down to 75% or even 70% to have more headroom...its basically senseless to implement prealarms