Another gotway fire

12 minutes ago, techyiam said:

But you did.

I revealed to be confused and you wrote that's "because you were too quick to judge". How could you possibly know where my confusion came from? Maybe there was something I didn't understand? Maybe it's not me who is judging too quickly and there is some projection going on :)

1 minute ago, jimjam.nyc said:

honestly don't know if that a2 was a battery fire. The wheel looked a bit too intact for it to be a battery fire. As we have seen you can't put those out once they get going.

Right, which would be good news given there was a fire. Yet, no part of a wheel should kinda ever start burning, unless it had been violently and visibly punctuated before. Maybe that is what happened, but the odds are not great.

9 hours ago, xiiijojjo said:

Sorry I'm usually very respectful but you people are fucking insane. 

How would anyone feel after surviving a car crash with their entire family in the car, and being told "the inherent dangers of operating a vehicle has been known for a long time, you did this to yourself and to your family, you should have gotten rid of your car the moment you learned of the inherent risks". By that logic all of you should get rid of all lithium ion batteries and other potentially dangerous things in your house or you are the one to blame if anything happens, right? I was scared straight by this and have been putting all my remaining lithium ion products in the same spot the euc burned in case of another fire and will make an effort to phase lithium ion out of my personal possessions not because of an m50t cell in a gotway starting a fire but because ALL lithium ion batteries have an inherent fire risk that personally isn't worth the convenience they provide. 

As @Vanturion mentioned I have known about the increased chance of fire posed by ownership of a gotway for a long time, and have even been aware that my specific version and batch of my euc is known to be more prone to fires.

To me that just meant that I at least have to think of a plan in case of a potential fire since I could not afford being without an euc. 

I don't know how familiar @Vanturionis with my personal situation but I have simply not been in a financial situation for the longest time that has allowed me to discard cells, or undergo any of his other suggestions, and I was depending on that euc for my daily transportation needs. I know a lot of people on this forum seem to be able to buy a new 3600wh euc every week, but sadly I'm a mere mortal unable to afford such luxuries. 

I understand you want to help forum goers to avoid ending up with a fire and potentially loss of life and I respect that persuit and if even one person is saved from your actions that'd be a great success in my opinion. The initiative to make a thread about a topic this important is noteworthy and I praise the decision of trying to make more people aware. 

Just don't go around blaming victims of house fires unless they personally lit the match or bought an euc with a fire rate above 1% after knowing about the fires.

Remember I bought my euc before any reviews or fire reports were available. 

I can't believe I have to defend myself for having been a house fire... Wtf is wrong with people today. 

My apologies to @xiiijojjo. My comment is a reply to the posts immediately before mine and made in general and not specifically to you, and my comment would have been better received in a general "euc fire" topic than in yours.

I was thinking about the incident with a guy who had known for at least nine months his MSP was a fire risk yet brought his wheel to a large public multi-day event, and it caught fire while people were sleeping when I made my comment.

Home fires can be life-changing and traumatizing. Riders affected by it should have full support from the EUC community.

Edited by Mango
  • Upvote 2

39 minutes ago, Mango said:

My apologies to @xiiijojjo

IHome fires can be life-changing and traumatizing. Riders affected by it should have full support from the EUC community.

I am too sorry that the wrong people read it.

I think your post can be useful, but it wasn't meant for everyone to read.

Lithium fires are so traumatic and tragic, posts like yours could hopefully compel those who still own these Gotway/Begode wheels with the 900Wh LG M50T cells, in 4P configuration battery packs to take immediate preventive measures. Based on statistics, the probability is high enough to predict with certainty that someone's wheel will catch fire this year, the next, and so on, until all these owners take action. We don't know who, but someone, and this can be more than one, will experience it.

I just wanted to say one more thing to reinforce and reiterate @techyiam's sentiment above as coincidentally there was another LG M50T fire reported in the Fire History thread yesterday in the course of our discussion here.

There may be some people out there who think that they can safely manage or catch their wheels with these batteries before they go wrong still, but I don't think that's an appropriate attitude to have considering the damage an uncontrolled/unquenchable fire can cause. The risks are too high. Not to mention the precise reason for why they fail is still unknown, only speculated upon, so it wouldn't follow logically to be able to protect against the failure of something when you aren't sure of exactly what's causing the failure mechanism that results in thermal runaway and spontaneous fire.

That said, for anyone reading this in the community - if you know someone personally who still has one of these affected wheels who hasn't removed, fully discharged, and safely disposed or stored their LG M50T 4P/900wh packs, definitely encourage them to take the wheel out of service and/or link them to the warning stick thread. You might just save these riders a lot of future pain among other unstated tragedies.

Edit: make that 2 fresh LG M50T fires, @Hellkitten reporting this right as I finished this comment

Edited by Vanturion
and just as I finished typing this
  • Like 3

On 8/11/2023 at 2:09 PM, Robse said:

Battery pack check, lucky man i am :)bat-rs-2.thumb.jpg.e9cd397c325b3f6ffa1b7ef82b4006d2.jpgbat-rs-1.jpg.6a83117d0f1b7c9a33685d917ea86902.jpg

Many Begode wheels had issues with the connecting metal strips (edit: in the battery) breaking and causing fires if I remember well. Maybe is worth checking that too. Just saying.

Edited by Paul g

2 minutes ago, Paul g said:

Many Begode wheels had issues with the connecting metal strips (edit: in the battery) breaking and causing fires if I remember well. Maybe is worth checking that too. Just saying.

yes :) , but not so easy to do without damaging the foil in which the battery is wrapped.

2 minutes ago, Robse said:

yes :) , but not so easy to do without damaging the foil in which the battery is wrapped.

Obviously, you need to re-wrap them 🙄 , and silicone them, and cuddle them :P