Fatality History

Asphalt

When I’m out riding, the only thing I worry about is it I make a mistake, or one of my wheels fails, and the consequences of that happening in isolation. This is what specifically is an EUC related accident, and accident that’s in the back of every riders mind while they are out and about. If you don’t want to get hit by a car, stay off the road, preventable. But if my hall sensor fails on my Sherman at 70kph, that’s an EUC fatality.  

Ask yourself this, I’m on the road, happy as Larry, my lynx fails, I fall off, face first, but I’m fine, I stand up brush my self off, and go, “phew, that was close”, 2 seconds later, I got hit by a car. That EUC is not responsible my death, the car hitting me is. Now if the face plant kills me, that’s an EUC fatality. A death that is specifically inherent with riding EUC’s. 

Edited by Skampster
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Skampster said:

When I’m out riding, the only thing I worry about is it I make a mistake, or one of my wheels fails, and the consequences of that happening in isolation. This is what specifically is an EUC related accident, and accident that’s in the back of every riders mind while they are out and about. If you don’t want to get hit by a car, stay off the road, preventable. But if my hall sensor fails on my Sherman at 70kph, that’s an EUC fatality.  

Yes, no matter of the definition of EUC related incident and if it should or should not be "counted" as you say, it is good that we have this information and statistics here. People can analyse it nad draw their own conclusions how to minimise the hazard.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Skampster said:

Now if the face plant kills me, that’s an EUC fatality.

Just out of curiosity, if the EUC throws you in the traffic, the faceplant doesn't kill you, but you fall Infront of cars and someone runs you over, how does this classify according to your system? Muddy Waters? :)

Edited by Aztek
  • Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Aztek said:

Just out of curiosity, if the EUC throws you in the traffic, the faceplant doesn't kill you, but you fall Infront of cars and someone runs you over, how does this classify according to your system? Muddy Waters? :)

This is a neat question!

If I walk around with a big bottle of nitroglycerin, and someone accidentally walks into me and the entire thing explodes, we hit each other with no fault of my own, but I'm still to blame for the entire thing because I ran around with volatile explosives.

Same idea for cars. The big and heavy car is often the problem. If a crash wasn't nearly as bad (or would not have happened) if the car was a bicycle or something, then you have good reason to blame the car regardless of any other circumstances (like who is "at fault" or whatever).

Funnily enough, this is still a more nuanced position than the unofficially official one, where nothing is ever called a car crash unless only cars are involved (so there's nobody to deflect the blame and negative associations to).

We all know what the majority of "bicycle accidents" and "escooter accidents" etc. have in common.

So I vote your example is still a car crash:)

• Like 1

I really don’t understand the confusion. We all know the specific things that cause you to get injured on an EUC, and those specific things are in isolation. They are problems within themselves. If I get hit by a car on an EUC, that’s a car accident. If I faceplant, that an EUC accident. It really is as basic as it can be. 

The list on the first page, the guy in Australia who who hit the guard rails on the side of the road. From what I know about that accident, the guy was a tad reckless, he was trail riding and some cyclists where coming the other way, so he tried to avoid them, lost his balance and messed himself up. Being he was on one wheel, he lost his balance, and we all know that feeling  when your balance goes, and that particular thing is EUC related, and he went down. EUC specific injury. This kind of event is always on the back of my mind, mess up, your balance goes and it’s up to the gods how you land. If I land well and walk off, it’s no longer the EUC’s fault to what then happens after. 

Edited by Skampster

54 minutes ago, Aztek said:

50/50  

50 points go to EUC. 50 points go to Car. So it's a half EUC fatality. When you get another one you can can it as one whole..:D

On 9/20/2024 at 10:25 PM, Losai said:

Update: 09.06.2019 - 21.09.2024 - totally 15 riders confirmed & 3 unconfirmed.

image.thumb.png.ff21a9c5486435a0fe722a1e08e59acb.png

Check and download from Google Docs: FATALEUC.xlsx

I hate to see this thread active again... 

I just read this list and wow... Rest in peace Travis Navarro jr

Being only 15 at the time of death and only dying due to adhering to the law, is beyond sad and infuriating to me.

Rest in peace to the rest on the list and to our EUC brothers and sisters who we're yet to lose.

I know gear did nothing to help some of the people on this list but please lower your chance of appearing on this list by wearing full motorcycle helmet (and please also wear knee&shin guards, elbow&forearm guards, and wrist guards) 

and remember no matter how good of a rider you are, your future hospital visit as a result of riding EUC is all but guaranteed. Please just do your best to not turn it into a final trip to the morgue.  

Here’s an example of the psychology for this situation, when I first read the title, in the back of my mind I’m thinking, here we go,I’m about to read a list of my worst fears when riding EUC’s, but after reading the list and the majority of fatalities involved motor vehicles, I breathed a sigh of relief, but not taking away anything of the sadness of the people that died, but a relief that they died not specifically because the EUC in upon itself killed them. 

My fear list:

rider died due to motor bolts falling off

Rider died due to hall sensor failure

Rider died due to losing his balance and hitting a tree (yes it’s not the trees fault, but if you’re gonna lose your balance, then an EUC is more than likely the place to do it) and you just happen to run into a stationary object  

Family died in housefire due to poorly constructed battery  

etc., etc.

If your EV car battery burns your house down, it’s an EV specific problem, not a car problem. 

Anyway I’m done, but if a rider dies on an EUC because he got hit by a meteorite, feel free to add it to the list if it makes you feel better. 

Edited by Skampster
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, denizin said:

Is there any news from China?

The country where EUCs are most frequently used is China. Therefore, accidents may have occurred there as well. So the total number of EUC accidents resulting in death cannot be 15. It takes a lot of optimism to think that way.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, denizin said:

The country where EUCs are most frequently used is China. Therefore, accidents may have occurred there as well. So the total number of EUC accidents resulting in death cannot be 15. It takes a lot of optimism to think that way.

15 reported and verified EUC deaths

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Skampster said:

The list on the first page, the guy in Australia who who hit the guard rails on the side of the road. From what I know about that accident, the guy was a tad reckless, he was trail riding and some cyclists where coming the other way, so he tried to avoid them, lost his balance and messed himself up. Being he was on one wheel, he lost his balance, and we all know that feeling  when your balance goes, and that particular thing is EUC related, and he went down. EUC specific injury. This kind of event is always on the back of my mind, mess up, your balance goes and it’s up to the gods how you land. If I land well and walk off, it’s no longer the EUC’s fault to what then happens after. 

Simple solution: DON'T MESS UP.

• Haha 1

On 9/22/2024 at 8:57 PM, Skampster said:

Here’s an example of the psychology for this situation, when I first read the title, in the back of my mind I’m thinking, here we go,I’m about to read a list of my worst fears when riding EUC’s, but after reading the list and the majority of fatalities involved motor vehicles, I breathed a sigh of relief, but not taking away anything of the sadness of the people that died, but a relief that they died not specifically because the EUC in upon itself killed them. 

My fear list:

rider died due to motor bolts falling off

Rider died due to hall sensor failure

Rider died due to losing his balance and hitting a tree (yes it’s not the trees fault, but if you’re gonna lose your balance, then an EUC is more than likely the place to do it) and you just happen to run into a stationary object  

Family died in housefire due to poorly constructed battery  

etc., etc.

If your EV car battery burns your house down, it’s an EV specific problem, not a car problem. 

Anyway I’m done, but if a rider dies on an EUC because he got hit by a meteorite, feel free to add it to the list if it makes you feel better. 

I don't think these are comparable.

EUCs are fast enough to ride on the road, and often are ridden on the road. I think its valuable to know about traffic accidents related to EUCs, because it informs behaviour when riding on the street. Many EUC riders really do not respect traffic laws, weave between cars, ride at high speed around vehicles where they could get dragged by wind, etc.

We have both sets of information here, that's good enough. The fact it emphasises that the best thing you can do to increase your Ir safety is ride very carefully on the road or avoid riding on the road at all is a benefit - it makes people wary of the most dangerous place to ride their EUC.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1